PDA

View Full Version : Buying from Apple

TiredOfLife
11th January 2007, 21:45
Not sure if this was the right place or not.
Feel free to move it if not.
You might already know this but I thought I'd post this just in case.
Google, Apple Refurbs.
Ipods and Mac hardware at up to 50% off.
I'm told by someone who has a brother in law that does the refurb work for Apple that this is where Apple employees by their gear from.
He says that the refurbs are done to a high standard are checked and have the same length warranty as the none refurb stuff.

Harrison
11th January 2007, 22:26
I just checked this out and the main link Google links you to for searching "Apple Refurbs" takes you to the official Apple store which has a direct link to the refurbished section.

It seems that the refubished deals are not so hot though. Only 10% off most systems, which isn't in my view all that great considering it's a second hand system that's probably just had it's HD reinstalled and a cloth wiped over its keyboard. ;)

The best deal I found on there was a 4GB iPod nano for £99 (supposedly reduced from £169). I suspect you could still get most Apple products brand new for less at the moment if you order them from US, considering how low the US Dollar is at the moment.

TiredOfLife
11th January 2007, 22:34
I'm told it's more like a full diagnostic than a wipe with the magic cloth.
I saw systems with between 35 and 45 percent off when I checked yesterday.

Just checked again now, the offers above are still there.

J T
12th January 2007, 10:51
I've seen some great deal on there, and some not so great ones.

Seems to me like it's luck of the draw really. Some days you might find something heavily marked down but not others. Guess it depends also on how many items they've had returned.

Stephen Coates
14th January 2007, 10:28
Yeah, the price of a refurbished machine will depend on its cosmetic condition, spec and of course how much work they have to do on it.

I just tend to buy Apple products second hand off ebay. Now all the Macs are Intel based the prices of PowerPC machines should be coming down quite a bit.

Harrison
15th January 2007, 13:05
That is true. PPC Macs should start to drop quite a bit, especially as new software releases start to phase out their PPC support and start to only run on Intel Macs.

Anyone wanting a PPC Mac should be able to get quite a bargain soon this is for sure. They will just have to take into account that system support and future development will be limited.

Stephen Coates
15th January 2007, 15:37
I think people will develop PPC software for a few years.

Look at the 68ks.

On the subject of money, remember that powermac g3 which I got for £35 inc postage. Well, I decided to list it's G4 upgrade on ebay and someone in Germany bought it at the buy it now price for £39.99 +£10 postage. Just got to hope that it doesn't get lost in the post now.

Harrison
15th January 2007, 16:10
How come you sold the G4 upgrade? DO you have a better G4 based Mac now? And what are you going to do with the G3?

Stephen Coates
15th January 2007, 16:43
I sold the G4 to get some money. I'll probably get a G3 for it now.

Harrison
15th January 2007, 16:48
Let me get this straight. You sold a G4 upgrade for your Mac, and are going to use the money to buy an older and slower G3 to replace it.

So you are in effect downgrading your Mac? :unsure:

Stephen Coates
15th January 2007, 18:52
I actually profited there. Only by £5 but it does mean that if I get a G3 processor for it for something like £10 (they arn't expensive), I have literally got the entire machine for £5 :).

I wanted the money to go towards other stuff like a PowerBook and some amiga stuff ;).

Harrison
15th January 2007, 22:08
Whilst it is cool ending up only having paid £5 for a complete system, it is a little sad at the same time that you ended up reducing the speed of the system so much just to make a few pounds.

Although, I fully support the sale of old Mac hardware to fund Amiga purchases. :thumbs:

What Powerbook are you getting?

Stephen Coates
16th January 2007, 16:08
I'm not all that bothered about reducing the speed of it. I don;t use it as my main computer any more. (My main intention for it was to use it as my main computer for a while to see how good it was compared to other machines).

I have bought a powerbook G3 'WallStreet'. I'm not saying anythingmore about it until I get it.

Oh, and I bought a Presario 1615 laptop as well. Thats the same one as the one I was always having problems with a while back. (In case you're wondering why, I want to try Windows XP on it mainly).

Harrison
16th January 2007, 16:33
Lets hope your new Presario laptop works. Was it a good price? Was the powermac a good price?

Stephen Coates
16th January 2007, 16:53
Got the presario for £5.50 + £5 postage.

I probably wouldn;t have bothered with it if it was more.

Harrison
16th January 2007, 17:32
Well you can't really go wrong at those sort of prices.

TiredOfLife
16th January 2007, 18:53
What is the spec for the presario?

Stephen Coates
16th January 2007, 19:43
150MHz Pentium MMX
Not sure about Memory but I have some which I can use if it doesn't come with any
12" crappy dual scan screen. Hopefully though this new one will be better than mine as it isn;t scratched.
Floppy/CDROM
Doesn't include HD but I'll have a spare one somewhere
Graphics card is a NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD.
2x USB ports/Parrallel/Serial/Port Replicator port/VGA/v.90 modem/2xCardbus/PS/2

J T
16th January 2007, 19:47
You're going to run XP on that? As a project I take it, not as a machine for day to day usage?

Still, a fiver is a decent price for that. Even woth shipping being practically 50% of the cost.

Stephen Coates
16th January 2007, 21:22
You're going to run XP on that? As a project I take it, not as a machine for day to day usage?

Guess. Is it likely I'd want to run XP on anything for more than a project?

AlexJ
16th January 2007, 22:01

Guess. Is it likely I'd want to run XP on anything for more than a project?

Well millions of people run XP as their main system.

Harrison
16th January 2007, 23:46
Indeed they do. But running XP on a Pentium 2 is painful enough. I would hate to try and run it on a P1! But, as you are no doubt going to try Steve it would be great to find out if, firstly you can actually get it to run, and secondly how damn long it takes to boot! BTW, hope it has some extra ram as there is no way XP will even bother working properly with less than 128MB.

BTW, that laptop would be great to run a version of Linux on after you have finished testing it with XP.

TiredOfLife
18th January 2007, 21:16
A laptop running linux, now that idea I like.
Hmm might see if I can pick up a cheap laptop and try that myself.

Stephen Coates
18th January 2007, 21:21
My main intention is to run Amithlon.

Although I'll probably stick windows 95/98/NT on there as well.

Harrison
19th January 2007, 00:39
Amithlon should run OK.

But don't stick a Windows OS on there. Linux would let you get a lot more out of the hardware. Linux is especially great for older slow laptops. I'm got Fedora 4 on a K3 400MHz laptop with 128MB of ram and it runs well. Much better than even Windows 98 used to.

Submeg
21st January 2007, 07:43
The first thing I thought when I saw this thread:

"Buying from Apple"......not a good idea.

:p

AlexJ
21st January 2007, 09:50
But running XP on a Pentium 2 is painful enough. I would hate to try and run it on a P1! But, as you are no doubt going to try Steve it would be great to find out if, firstly you can actually get it to run, and secondly how damn long it takes to boot! BTW, hope it has some extra ram as there is no way XP will even bother working properly with less than 128MB.

Some guys managed to get XP to work on an 8MHz processor with 20MB of RAM. Boottime (from BIOS screen to useable Desktop) was about 30minutes. Their efforts can be found at: http://winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini_eng.htm

J T
21st January 2007, 19:46
I think you might have posted that before, Alex, and it's a quality page. I love the way that the really old machine gets it running, but barely in colour :lol:

Harrison
22nd January 2007, 04:41
I remember that site from the old forum. It is mad what some people will try on completely unsuitable hardware. Is cool they got it to run, but completely useless at the same time, something I highly suspect Steve will also discover when trying to run XP on a P1.

Stephen Coates
22nd January 2007, 15:56
P1? Don't you mean pentium? (ed: P1 is short for pentium 1)

Anyway, as XP is useless on just about anything, I expect it will be very useless on a Pentium MMX.

I'm pretty sure it will work though. (n.b. there is a difference between 'works' and 'usable')