PDA

View Full Version : CAD Software

Stephen Coates
18th January 2008, 09:38
For some of my college work, we have to look into CAD packages that *could* be used. We have AutoCAD in college so I will probably write about that, but we have to research 4 others as well, and I was wondering if anyone knew about CAD on the Amiga?

I have heard of a CAD package for the Amiga, but I can't remember it's name or whether it was 68k or PPC.

Buleste
18th January 2008, 10:33
The last Cad package developed for the Amiga as far as i know was Cycas which has gone the way of most Amiga software and is now being developed for Windoze and Whynux. I'm trying to find a copy of it. If i can i'll put a link up.

In fact the last version was released on Aminet here. (http://aminet.net/search?query=cycas)

Buleste
18th January 2008, 12:29
I have absolutly no experiance with CAD software but i've DL'd and installed and it seems fast and is a typical Amiga programme in that it does what it says on the tin but doesn't have any flashy bits like other systems have.

Harrison
18th January 2008, 12:53
The best known Amiga CAD package was X-CAD Professional.

I used it a bit years ago and it seemed pretty good. I think I remember it was only a 2D CAD package though, and didn't support any 3D.

It was included on a coverdisk so if you wanted a copy I can probably find it and send you an ADF.

Another which I haven't used is called CYCAS. I think this one is only developed for PC and Linux these days though so you would need to track down a copy of the older Amiga version.

But if I were given the task to research and compare packages I would compare the industry standard, AutoCAD, against the current Open Source free CAD packages available to see if it is possible to work in CAD without the expense of commercial software. There are quite a few very good GPL packages you could look at such as Wings 3D, QCad, Open CASCADE, MeshLab, FreeCAD, Blender, AutoQ3D, and Art of Illusion.

Most of these free packages are cross platform too, so run in Windows and Linux, with some ported for the Mac too. Therefore if you found one of these free packages was good enough for commercial use and ran on Linux, you could argue that you could run the whole package for free (other than the computer hardware cost).

Here is a site with a good list of packages on the PC, Mac and Amiga. http://www.venueweb.co.nz/abouts/acadprg.htm

Buleste
18th January 2008, 13:00
Another which I haven't used is called CYCAS. I think this one is only developed for PC and Linux these days though so you would need to track down a copy of the older Amiga version.

Just can't get the staff anymore. If Harrison had bothered to read what i'd posted he'd be able to find out about Cycas. Too busy creating test posts i suppose.:tease:

Harrison
18th January 2008, 13:19
OK, I admit I didn't even read your post. :lol: I read Steve's and just hit reply. Oops! :p

Isn't it better to have too much information, than not enough? ;)

Buleste
18th January 2008, 13:20
Always remember kids READ before you REPLY. And always practice safe posting.:p

Stephen Coates
18th January 2008, 16:11
Thanks for the information.

It would be good if you could supply a copy of that disk Harrison. Did it come with any documentation?

BTW, When did RetroSteve get added beneath my name?

Harrison
18th January 2008, 16:27
So you noticed! :nogood:

Stephen Coates
18th January 2008, 16:30
Yep. Did you think I would miss it?

Buleste
18th January 2008, 18:12
Just checked on 'tinternet and XCAD designer is on CU Amiga disk 96. Click here (http://amr.abime.net/coverdisk_index_6) and goto coverdisk 96 and download. Don't know if it's the final version though. Also XCAD 2000 is on Amiga magazine disk 144.

Scratch that XCAD 2000 is on CU Amiga coverdisk 144 and can be DL'd from same link as XCAD designer.

Harrison
18th January 2008, 21:44
Here are the two Cu Amiga coverdisks with X-Cad included. Enjoy.

Stephen Coates
18th January 2008, 22:06
I have absolutly no experiance with CAD software but i've DL'd and installed and it seems fast and is a typical Amiga programme in that it does what it says on the tin but doesn't have any flashy bits like other systems have.

I just downloaded it to my A1200 and it installs and loads up fine, but it then asks me for a serial number. I guess that the serial number is the one in the readme file (548200795), but when I type it in and press OK, it just quits. Am I missing something?

Harrison
18th January 2008, 23:52
There is no mention of a serial in the magazine's disk pages describing how to install the program.

Have you tried both disks?

Stephen Coates
19th January 2008, 10:30
I waas on about Cycas which i downloaded using Buleste's link. That's the one which needs the serial number.

Not tried XCAD but will shortly :)

Buleste
19th January 2008, 10:39

I just downloaded it to my A1200 and it installs and loads up fine, but it then asks me for a serial number. I guess that the serial number is the one in the readme file (548200795), but when I type it in and press OK, it just quits. Am I missing something?

Thats how it registers. It doesn't tell you that it's worked but it should have. (At least i think it did because thats exactly what happened with mine.

There is no mention of a serial in the magazine's disk pages describing how to install the program.

Have you tried both disks?

What did i tell you earlier. READ the posts before posting. Go stand in the corner.;)

Stephen Coates
19th January 2008, 11:03
It just quits, then when I load it up again it asks me for the registration number again, so if I enter it again it wil just quit, etc.

Buleste
19th January 2008, 11:10
Strange. Did you enter your name in as well???

Stephen Coates
19th January 2008, 11:30
Yes. I also tried putting Stephen Coates in the first name box, and even put something in the second box.

It works now. I think it had something to do with me not clicking out of the serial number box.

Buleste
19th January 2008, 11:38
Has the cycas.key file been created in the drawer?? If not i'll email you mine and hopefully that should work.

Stephen Coates
24th January 2008, 20:12
Not sure about cycas.key but it probably has as it seems to work now.

I managed to load up XCAD. For some reason the highres version just crashed the computer. Lowres seemed fine though.

I really could do with some documentation to get a better idea of how to get started with using XCAD though. Cycas comes with a tutorial in hTML format so I will have a look at that soon.

Stephen Coates
24th January 2008, 22:12
Just had a go with XCAD in WinUAE. Looks a bit tricky to use. I will definately need some documentation for it.

Has anyone heard of AmiCAD? I know it exists but I can't find out much about it. As far I am aware it can be used for drawing circuits diagrams.

Buleste
25th January 2008, 10:01
Aminet has an os4 version and an update for 2.12 for os3 but you need 2.10 before you can update. I have found a spanish Web page with 2.10 on (here) (http://www.hispamiga.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=29&func=fileinfo&id=12) but haven't tried Amicad yet so don't know what language it's in.

Buleste
28th January 2008, 10:28
If you're interested in PCB designers for the amiga try amipcb. (http://aminet.net/misc/sci/AmiPCB_1.07.lha) Again not tested it so don't know what it's like but it's there if you want it.

Stephen Coates
28th January 2008, 13:03
I tried to use AmiPCB about a year ago. Couldn't get it to start. Not sure if it was PPC only. I'm sure it failed to start in the same way that AmiCAD does.

Buleste
28th January 2008, 13:42
Theres two versions of Amipcb on aminet a OS4 versiona dn the one i've linked to which should work on a 1200.

v85rawdeal
31st January 2008, 18:07
Just imagine if Joseph Cyril Bamford built PCs...

You could have a JCB PC PCB with AMD PCU with USB armed with ICB and ECM

Buleste
1st February 2008, 09:02
Just imagine if Joseph Cyril Bamford built PCs...

You could have a JCB PC PCB with AMD PCU with USB armed with ICB and ECM

Wouldn't that be JCB PC PCB with AMD CPU with USB armed with ICB and ECM with a 700W PSU
Besides JCB stands for Japanese Coal Board (I should know i live near them).

the_seer
7th February 2008, 10:34
A powerful 2D/3D CAD package was DynaCADD. A demo version can be found on Fish Disks #603, 604, 605 on Aminet.
There also was MaxonCAD, but I don't know if it was German only.

TiredOfLife
7th February 2008, 11:39
Used Autocad quite a bit in the past in work.
Wouldn't mind playing around with an Amiga CAD package just to keep my hand in so to speak.

Has anyone tried a few of the above listed and would recommend one above the others?

Buleste
7th February 2008, 11:48
Tried XCAD and Cycas. I don't know much about Cad software but of the two Cycas is the better. There is a PowerCAD for PPC Amigas somewhere in the ether but i've not been able to find it yet.

Stephen Coates
5th April 2008, 23:13
I am quite interested in finding out how to get Cycas to do something useful but that is currently proving quite difficult due to the help files.

The help files are all in HTML format and reading the text involves alot of awkward sideways scrolling. Does anyone know how to get the text to fit on the screen?

This is true of both the Windows and Amiga versions.

Harrison
7th April 2008, 12:27
You could load the html file into a browser and then save it as a txt file.