PDA

View Full Version : How much do you like RPGs?

Harrison
11th January 2007, 19:41
So, on a scale of 1-10, how much do you all like RPGs, and if you do like them which single RPG is your all time favourite?

I know of at least one member who will select the top most option! ;)

Demon Cleaner
11th January 2007, 20:20
I know of at least one member who will select the top most option!
Was that for me ;)? I don't know what to vote, as I'm also playing other games, but mainly RPGs, or let's say RPGs are my MOST favorite games.

Of course I know other genres, and I won't say that RPGs is the only genre I play. So I will not take the top option (but thnaks for adding it ;))

To 10 I have to say, that it's mainly the only genre I play, but I also play a lot of PES or some racing games, but indeed, I collect them ALL, so I might choose this option, but still no, I'll take number 9, to which I would add "collect them all" and change "with lots of other" by "some".

All time favorite should be FF7, as it was the first real japan style RPG with the old school turn based battle system I played. Before I already played Bard's Tale on my C64 (and Temple of Apshai), which I just loved, and later on my amiga I played and loved the SSI RPGs like Champions of Krynn and Buck Rogers (but of course also the Bard's Tale series and Dungeon Master).

Puni/Void
11th January 2007, 22:46
I had to select number 8 out of ten, which means that I love playing RPG's. Started out playing the old titles on the Amiga, and have moved on to play the more modern ones on the PC. I'm sure some of you are familiar with my passion for Fallout 1 & 2. I still play these games and I'm dreaming about Fallout 3, hoping with all of my heart that it will not be an Oblivion-clone of some sort. Anyway, enough of worries about Fallout 3. Also like The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, and of course to good old Eye of the Beholder titles on the Amiga.

I felt that I couldn't select a higher number on the poll due to my interest in strategy games. I've played a lot Online, such as Red Alert 2, Generals Zero Hour, Warcraft 3 and so on. :)

LowercaseE
12th January 2007, 13:37
I voted a 7 out of 10. I love RPG's, especially the older ones. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to them much anymore. I've had Breath of Fire 1 and 2 for SNES for a few years now and I haven't gotten to either of them. Sooner or later I will though because they're great games.

Teho
12th January 2007, 14:02
I used to be a 7, but have to vote 5 now. RPGs are just too time-consuming for me, so I only play one now when it's supposed to be really really good.

Stephen Coates
14th January 2007, 19:16
So, on a scale of 1-10, how much do you all like RPGs, and if you do like them which single RPG is your all time favourite?

I don;t even know if i have ever played an RPG before.

J T
14th January 2007, 19:21
RPGs (in the traditional sense) really take too much time for me. I enjoy a good story but didn't enjoy the grinding to level up in, for example, FFX. Levelling up stats and random battles made certain parts just feel like such a chore.

I voted 5/10, I'd say I prefer action/adventure style RPG like games such as the 3D Zeldas (for simplicity sake I'm mentioning Zelda as as RPG like game, but not an RPG game per se).

rayzorblue
14th January 2007, 19:32
I have to agree with you JT alot of RPGs suck the fun out of games for me, i much prefer Zelda style ones (if they can be called RPGs) like the new one (absolutely awesome). I have enjoyed some in the past but prefer more action now.

Harrison
15th January 2007, 12:12
I agree. A lot of RPGs can become bogged down with the need to waste countless hours leveling up and earning enough money to upgrade equipment. This is sad in a way because the great RPGs that have this contain some epic stories and amazing gameplay once you get past the initial leveling. For this reason many people miss out on the best parts of these games.

Zelda games are in my view part of the RPG genre, mixed with Action Adventure. Zelda games always contain excitement and fun gameplay right from the start to the end. But don't forget that even Zelda games sometimes need a bit of grinding to get enough money to buy specific items. A link to the Past is still my favourite of all the Zelda games and I remember having to hack through countless patches of grass in the quest for some money.

Demon Cleaner
15th January 2007, 14:53
I just don't understand that people are saying RPGs take too long to finish, but always moan when a game only lasts for 10 hours, saying, I finished it in 8 hours, I didn't get enough for my money. Some RPGs "only" take 25-30 hours to finish, and at least you get something for your money.

Harrison
15th January 2007, 15:19
Totally agree. I also see this often on forums, with people moaning that a game they just purchased only lasted for X number of hours. The other great thing about many RPGs is that there is not just one linear way through the game and story and often multiple outcomes to storylines and the games ending are possible. These really open up the game to repeat playthroughs extending the game by a lot of hours gameplay potential.

The greatest example of this has to be the PSX game Star Ocean as it contains 80 possible endings to the game and over 160 in game characters to collect into your party. There are so many different gaming possibilities in just that one game that you could continue playing it though for 100's of hours and still see new content.

I think the problem for many, as I mentioned above, is that they get put off by playing one RPG that requires boring grinding to level up and the way it is done is not rewarding and just feels like a chore. As with anything, if you play the wrong example of a genre to begin with you are going to be put off trying another.

Look at FFX. That game suffered from some of the worst Linear sections in any FF game due to them focusing too much on the visuals and how the game ran on the PS2. But get through those linear parts and it is still a great game. But those who played FFX my be put off from trying the new FFXII and that would be ashame because FFXII is one of the best RPGs made to date.

There is another aspect to RPGs many don't like, especially younger people today. They require dedication and a lot of time devoted to playing them and experiencing the story. Especially if you compared it to something like a first person shooter that can be picked up and played for 10 minutes. A lot of the youth of today have such short attention spans that they cannot even get though the start of an RPG which is teaching them the mechanics of the game.

Demon Cleaner
15th January 2007, 18:17
I mainly like the battle system and the story's of RPGs, it's like reading a book. If I play an FPS it's always HATE, KILL, DESTROY!!!

Puni/Void
15th January 2007, 20:21
I agree with some of the views presented here. RPG's takes dedication, because those games aren't meant to be finished quickly. As Demon wrote, it is all about a story and you taking part in it. A bit like reading a book, but also writing one at the same time, as you are both a participant and a spectator.

Of course it takes a bit of time to get used to the way of playing such a game, learning the tricks of the trade, and finally building up a solid character. That is what I at least find enjoyable.

This takes a bit of dedication, but I think that is a good thing. In Morrowind or Fallout for example, you can easily get into situations that are more than you can handle with a level 1 or level 2 character. This means that you have to return when you have more experience or have gained new skills. When you have played for a while, it is rewarding to see the progress you have made and the more understand you have gained about the world the game takes place in.

Personally I haven't much interest for those ordinary FPS games. Some of those based on WW2 with decent storylines are ok though. At least for a few hours of playing. ;) The other stuff doesn't do it for, unless it is Alien Breed 3D on the Amiga. :D

Harrison
15th January 2007, 21:21
Pretty much the same for me regarding FPS style games. It has to have a decent story to engage me and want me to find out what is going to happen next. It's probably the FPSs that have an RPG element to them that I get interested in the most HalfLife is a good example of this, or Deus Ex. And any war style conflict when done well creates an extra element of atmophere, especially WWII.

Others such as Quake bored me very quickly. It took me something like a year to complete Quake 2 after it came out because I would just pick it up, play through one level, see the next level looked the same and save the game for later. And online multiplayer death matches have never really been of that much interest to me either. I did play Quake 3 a few times online but it never got addictive as it seems for some. The only online FPS I really liked are Return to Castle Wolfenstein, or Star Wars BattleFront. Ones where you can form a party working together to fight against a similar opponent.

J T
15th January 2007, 22:06
I just don't understand that people are saying RPGs take too long to finish, but always moan when a game only lasts for 10 hours, saying, I finished it in 8 hours, I didn't get enough for my money. Some RPGs "only" take 25-30 hours to finish, and at least you get something for your money.

I do see what you are getting at, but as with everything it is a balance. A riveting storyline could easily keep me entertained for many many hours, but if it is repetition and grinding it would be far less likely to. At the other end of the scale, a short but incredibly fun gaming experience such as New Mario on DS or a classic Sonic, or a WarioWare is short lived but as they are so much fun it doesn't feel like you've been short-changed (and quite possibly would be played over and over again).

Possibly some would disagree and want length of play over and above anything else. I guess it boils down to personal preference and situation though.

As an interesting aside, could a footy management sim be classed as an RPG style game? You are after all taking on the role of coach, using training and shrewd moves in the transfer market to improe the overall stats of your team....

... it takes a bit of time to get used to the way of playing such a game, learning the tricks of the trade, and finally building up a solid character. That is what I at least find enjoyable.

...for example, you can easily get into situations that are more than you can handle with a level 1 or level 2 character. This means that you have to return when you have more experience or have gained new skills. When you have played for a while, it is rewarding to see the progress you have made and the more understand you have gained about the world the game takes place in.

For sure, it is a lot of fun going back to absolutely kick the ass of someone that gave you trouble before be it due to new moves, better playing skills or improved stats.

Speaking of games that tell stories, has anyone heard of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney? I have it for the DS (it came out for GBA too). It's like a spiritual successor to the point'n'click adventures of old and is utterly brilliant. Like an interactive story book. Very linear but boy is it well told, with neat plots and wonderful characterisations. Seriously, this game was a massive winner for me and lasted quite a long time.

Demon Cleaner
15th January 2007, 23:01
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney?Yeah, I know the game, where you play an attorney and can even yell objection into your DS :lol: looked quite funny when I saw reviews at TV.

I have a TV program, called Game One (french), which has a show called Level 1, where they test games and show them for about 15-20 minutes. There I also saw Phoenix Wright. I would test it immediately, if I had a DS.

Harrison
15th January 2007, 23:19
It is so annoying in the UK not having any decent video game TV programs any longer. Well I don't think there are anyway. :unsure:

Demon Cleaner
15th January 2007, 23:22
We also have Giga Games (german), which runs every day from 10-12pm, and weekends they always have eSports shows.

Harrison
15th January 2007, 23:29
:( We have nothing like that. When any of the TV networks in the UK decide to make a Video Game related show in the UK they always make it very childish with presenters that know nothing about video games or the systems, and act as though they are presenting a program aimed at 4-8 year olds. It is very annoying.

J T
16th January 2007, 09:39
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney?Yeah, I know the game, where you play an attorney and can even yell objection into your DS :lol: looked quite funny when I saw reviews at TV.

I have a TV program, called Game One (french), which has a show called Level 1, where they test games and show them for about 15-20 minutes. There I also saw Phoenix Wright. I would test it immediately, if I had a DS.

Yes, that's the one :) .

I have to say I only yelled into the mic a few times to test it out, as i played on the train and bus to work quite a lot. It was embarassing enough when I got to the case that requred fingerprint dusting (tap on the screen to spread the dust, then blow on the screen - quite hard - to remove the excess) on a packed rush hour tube :lol:

Well worth checking out if you ever get a DS. It kept me sane on those long flights to and from California, so thumbs up :thumbs:

Puni/Void
16th January 2007, 10:06
That game sounds like a lot of fun! Have always wanted to scream "objection" and all that lawyer stuff. :D

rayzorblue
16th January 2007, 20:52
Its a while since i bought a DS game but that one did tempt me i have to admit, so by the sounds of it you would recommend buying it, i think ill give it a go so it better be good lol.

Demon Cleaner:

I by no means meant to imply that rpg's are too long i love a game that takes 25-40 hrs to complete its just the laborious tasks some of them will have you go through to get to the end, of course this isnt just limited to rpg's it could be any game, maybe i just havent played the right ones and i suppose if im honest i havent played as many rpg's as i have other types of game.

Puni/Void
21st January 2007, 11:26
If you are curious aobut good RPG's, I would suggest trying Fallout 2 - it's like a mixture of action/adventure/role-playing - all in one. :) It is of course a bit old now, but the playability is just as good as it was back then. Don't expect any 3D though.

J T
21st January 2007, 18:43
Its a while since i bought a DS game but that one did tempt me i have to admit, so by the sounds of it you would recommend buying it, i think ill give it a go so it better be good lol.

Yeah get it, and you don't like it, it can be sold on eBay for almost the price you pay for it if you're lucky.

But it's a great game. The equivalent of a real page-turner of a book, if you will.

Demon Cleaner
22nd January 2007, 06:28
If you are curious aobut good RPG's, I would suggest trying Fallout 2You're quite a big fan of the fallout series, you mention them every time :lol: But they're indeed great games. Have you played the 3rd installment, Fallout Tactics? If so, how is that one? I remember playing the first level of the demo, and it played quite slow. It was less RPG, and more Jagged Alliance style.

Puni/Void
22nd January 2007, 09:57
Demon wrote:

You're quite a big fan of the fallout series, you mention them every time But they're indeed great games. Have you played the 3rd installment, Fallout Tactics? If so, how is that one? I remember playing the first level of the demo, and it played quite slow. It was less RPG, and more Jagged Alliance style.

You are right about that. I'm quite a big fan of the Fallout series. Have played Fallout 1 and 2 a lot, and I still find them enjoyable. People are releasing mods for these games as well, so that you can try out other adventures and stories. I'm particularly waiting for a big mod called Fanmade Fallout - that one looks, at the moment, great. :)

Fallout Tactics? Well, I've played it some, and it is an ok game. It is not an RPG though, much more like a real-time strategy game. The game sports good graphics as well. Can't remember that it run slow in any way. Did you run it on old computer or did you mean that the gameplay was slow?

The worst Fallout production ever released is Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for the X-Box. That game sucks so bad that I feel my stomach twist when thinking about it. :(

Demon Cleaner
22nd January 2007, 10:10
Can't remember that it run slow in any way. Did you run it on old computer or did you mean that the gameplay was slow?I meant the gameplay. It took me about 2 hours to play through the first, very small, level.

People are releasing mods for these games as well, so that you can try out other adventures and stories.Wow, I didn't know that. Is there a particular site where I can have a look and d/l the mods? I don't even think that I have the Fallout games anymore, but that should be no problem.

Puni/Void
22nd January 2007, 10:21
There are several places you can go to check out some mods for the Fallout series. The best place to start your search is the site No Mutants Allowed. Here is the link:

No Mutants Allowed (http://www.nma-fallout.com/)

On the top menu, select community, and then downloads. It will take you to a screen where you can downloady everything Fallout related. :)

Enjoy and happy gaming!

Oh, here is the link to Fanmade Fallout:

Fanmade Fallout (http://www.fanmadefallout.com/)

Demon Cleaner
22nd January 2007, 10:40
Of course both sites are websensed from here, have to give it a try from home. Thanks for the links Punisher (reminds me of the past, uuh, getting nostalgic here :huh:).

Harrison
22nd January 2007, 10:51
No Mutants Allowed is a great site. I'm always tempted to try some of the custom mods but haven't yet. Will have to at some point.

As for Fallout in general, lets hope Fallout 3 is coming along nicely. Any new news on it's progress? and i they have ruined or saved the series?

Demon Cleaner
22nd January 2007, 11:06
The only thing I know, is that the Jagged Alliance series have already been ruined. Remember the screenshot I posted on the old board? Game got very bad reviews, I hope they don't do it for Fallout as well, as there are not a lot of these games released anymore. And remember the last XCom games, holy crap!!

Harrison
22nd January 2007, 11:19
The XCom games are probably the best example of how to ruin a great series. Some of the last games were not even strategy related. Very dire.

I've not played the last game in the Jagged Alliance series but I have read it wasn't too good. It is such a shame there are not many games of this type released as I'm sure it is a popular setting that many would like more games to use.

Puni/Void
27th January 2007, 09:11
Well, I wouldn't put too much hope into Fallout 3, Demon. Sadly, I can't say I'm a big optimist when it comes to this game. :( Although, Bethesda might surprise us with keeping the Fallout tradition alive.

XCom series. UFO - Enemy Unknown was a great game. Too bad the sequels in various forms didn't live up to the expectations.

Demon Cleaner
28th January 2007, 15:21
I played through XCom:Apocalypse, which is still one of my all time favorite games, along with Jagged Alliance 2.

Puni/Void
29th January 2007, 10:16
Have you tried X-Com: Interceptor, Demon? I bought it as an original and while it was an ok game, it surely didn't live up to the expectations I had before purchase.

Demon Cleaner
29th January 2007, 11:31
Have you tried X-Com: InterceptorIsn't that the space shooter? I think I still have it installed on my PC, but not played a lot.

Puni/Void
5th February 2007, 11:34
Yep, it is space shooter. It is in full 3D, with decent graphics. It is an ok game, but not more than that in my opinion.

Demon Cleaner
9th February 2007, 09:39
I saw that I don't have Interceptor installed, I have 3 different XCom games still installed though. But as I'm not playing on my PC, there are still some other games, now older games, on it.

Like Silent Storm, which is a great game, close to Jagged Alliance. But that's for pro players, and not casual players like me, I found it very tough.

And another game, don't remember the name now, was developped by a russian company I think, and then released in Germany, with german language. I remember Harrison moaning about it, because there was no date for an english release. It contained a lot of bugs in its initial release. Was a Jagged Alliance in 3D, but I only played it for a short time.