PDA

View Full Version : The Metroid games appreciation thread

LowercaseE
15th January 2008, 22:15
I recently started playing some games again and the original Metroid is what got me back into it. I'm not quite sure why, but all of a sudden I just got a hankerin to whoop on some mother brain! I was surprised at how much of the game I actually remembered, though I did have to cheat and use a map for a few sections. Not bad for not playing the game in 10+ years though!

After beating the crap out of part 1, I moved on to Super Metroid and played that one for a few weeks. I actually remembered less of this one than I though I did, but I still got through it. Afterwards, I went back and played it again using a 100% guide to get everything. Yeah, it's cheating but hey, I did beat it on my own first.

Now I'm playing Metroid Zero on the GBA. I had tried Fusion a while back but never got into it. Now because of how much I like Zero, I think I'm going to try Fusion again. So far I've beaten Zero a few times, but I want to get a better time and collection ratio (67% is BAAADDDD!).

Any one else fans of these classics?

Harrison
15th January 2008, 22:41
I've only played the Gamecube games, so must really give the older SNES and NES games a try when I get time.

LowercaseE
16th January 2008, 00:14
Yes, they're well worth a look. Granted they're not 3D (a plus for me!), but the game play and action are fantastic. Easy to get hooked on. If you end up liking them, you might even want to give the GBA games a look. So far, I'm having a great time with Zero Mission. There's a killer 55 minute speed run for it on youtube.

Demon Cleaner
16th January 2008, 00:21
Man, I love speedruns. The site http://www.speedruns.net/ is cool. Also is the C64 longplay site http://www.c64-longplays.de/

Harrison
16th January 2008, 00:46
Speedruns are great, especially for games you never managed to complete as you get to see all the bits you missed. And equally as great for games you have the fondest memories of to relive them, but at speed!

Buleste
16th January 2008, 11:03
I've got Metroid prime and hunters. Fortunatly with Prime you can play the original Metroid as well which is good.

Harrison
16th January 2008, 16:13
I forgot that! So in fact I have played the original Metroid via Prime! Doh!

Ghost
24th March 2008, 23:22
Hello,

I guess I am a sort of Metroid fanatic just as I am a big fan of the real Fallout games (sorry Harrison, Bethesda can not convince me ;)).

I started to play the series since Super Metroid and have since the collected all the games with the exclusion of Metroid Prime Pinball which is more a spin off inspired on the first Prime game.

The classic games were very fun but its good to see how the developers have also been trying to add more storyline to the series starting with Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime 1, the only disappointment so far has been Metroid Prime Hunters which really isn't a Prime game outside the 1st person perspective.
My favorite games are Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Prime 3 Corruption.

In my free time I write descriptions for a very large Metroid fan sites, fictional backgrounds for species and organisations in the games.