PDA

View Full Version : amiga to mac

chiel
12th January 2008, 15:55
hello, is there anyone out there who can tell me how I can migrate animations, I made years ago on my Amiga 2000 to my Mac?

Stephen Coates
12th January 2008, 16:13
The easiest method would probably be to make a PC formatted floppy disk on your Macintosh, then (with CrossDOS installed on the 2000), copy the files to that disk, then copy them to the Mac from the disk.

Another method is (assuming the animations are stored on a hard drive) to take the HD out of the A2000 and connect it to the Macintosh, and accessing it using MacUAE, Or whatever the OSX version of UAE is depending on what version of MacOS you have. That would of course depend on when MacUAE can read a real Amiga disk. I know WinUAE for Windows can. Not sure about MacUAE as I never really used it much.

I am assuming that that is what you mean by 'migrate'. If you want to run the animations on the macintosh, then you will have to have some kind of programme that can read the files. As I don't know what format they are in I can't really recomend anything, except to install MacUAE and use the Amiga software in that.

Hope that helps a bit. Welcome to the forum :)

Steve

Buleste
12th January 2008, 16:39
Alternativly try CrossMac if you can find a copy.

Stephen Coates
12th January 2008, 16:43
Am I right in thinking that CrossMac is the same as CrosDOS but for reading Macintosh disks instead of DOS ones?

Graham Humphrey
12th January 2008, 16:51
I'm pretty sure that's it, yes.

Quagmire
12th January 2008, 17:55
you could always set up internet on the A2000 and email them to yourself.:dry:

chiel
13th January 2008, 22:14
Thanks for the suggestions. By 'migrating' I mean that I would like to get the animations into my MiniMac.
I don't see how I can connect the amiga-HD to the minimac

The easiest method would probably be to make a PC formatted floppy disk on your Macintosh, then (with CrossDOS installed on the 2000), copy the files to that disk, then copy them to the Mac from the disk.

Another method is (assuming the animations are stored on a hard drive) to take the HD out of the A2000 and connect it to the Macintosh, and accessing it using MacUAE, Or whatever the OSX version of UAE is depending on what version of MacOS you have. That would of course depend on when MacUAE can read a real Amiga disk. I know WinUAE for Windows can. Not sure about MacUAE as I never really used it much.

I am assuming that that is what you mean by 'migrate'. If you want to run the animations on the macintosh, then you will have to have some kind of programme that can read the files. As I don't know what format they are in I can't really recomend anything, except to install MacUAE and use the Amiga software in that.

Hope that helps a bit. Welcome to the forum :)

Steve

Stephen Coates
14th January 2008, 10:55
Connecting the Amigas HD would require the Macintosh to have SCSI, which unfortunately, the Mac Mini doesn't, so this will not be possible.

Also unfortunately, the Mac Mini lacks a floppy drive, which means that the option of using CrossMac or CrossDOS is also not possible, unless you had a USB floppy drive which you could use.

The only other option i can think of would be get get ethernet on the A2000 (which could be difficult), or to get a PC and use that with a null modem cable. Do you have any PCs which you could use to transfer the files from the A2000 to, then you could transfer them from the PC to the Mac?

Harrison
14th January 2008, 15:55
Do you have the animations on Amiga floppy disks? and what format are the animations in?

As an offer, If you live in the UK you can send me the floppy disks with the animations on, and I can take the files off of the floppy disks and burn them to CD for you. Possibly converting the format of the animations so they run on the Mac, but that depends on the format they are in.

chiel
14th January 2008, 19:06
I have the animations on the HD and they are not that important that I couldn't live without them...
The real reason I started my Amiga again was because my son (11yr.) started drawing "flipbooks" (in my opinion the very basic of animation) and I thought it would be fun for him to try the same technique on a computer with the very friendly program 'Dpaint'.
I also liked 'Fantavision' very much for the quick results one could achieve.

Now I think it over, I probably better start looking for simple animation-software that he can use on the Mac.
Anyone suggestions?

However, I captured one animation some time ago, just by filming it from the screen: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=cimLHkHXZYc

and for Stephen: I live in Amsterdam - The Netherlands and we DO have real mail here...

thanks for the offer and support, chiel

now I made a stupid mistake. it was Harrison who, very friendly, offered to burn the files for me onto CD, but I couldn't figure out why that was only in the UK?

Harrison
14th January 2008, 21:42
now I made a stupid mistake. it was Harrison who, very friendly, offered to burn the files for me onto CD, but I couldn't figure out why that was only in the UK?

Umm... cause I live in the UK. :p It's always a bit of a hassle sending anything internationally in the post, things have often gone missing or taken a very long time to arrive.

A really good animation program or PC/Mac worth looking at is Toon Boon Studio (http://www.toonboom.com/). It is very much like the Amiga program Take2, and allows you to scan in your hand drawn flip animations so you can use it as a screen tester, and it then allows you to ink and colour the frames. Very nice and useful program for hand drawn animators. They also have a simpler version of the program called Flop Boom for kids to use.

Stephen Coates
15th January 2008, 11:28
and for Stephen: I live in Amsterdam - The Netherlands and we DO have real mail here...

thanks for the offer and support, chiel

You have mail services in The Netherlands? I always wondered how all the stuff my Mum's friend (who lives there) sent us got here.:lol:

Harrison, I have never had any trouble with anything coming from Europe. I have sent and recieved stuff from Germany, Norway and the Netherlands and not had any problems.

Harrison
15th January 2008, 12:00
Things I've posted to Luxembourg in the past never seem to get there, as DC will confirm.

It is actually more the fiddling about to post anything internationally that reduced my motivation to do it. But I will if it's the only way, but with the internet these days it shouldn't be needed so much for data related stuff.

Demon Cleaner
15th January 2008, 13:34
Things I've posted to Luxembourg in the past never seem to get there, as DC will confirm.Yep, you send me the DVDs 3 times I guess, but they never arrived, and when you finally asked about it, they were still at the post and were returned to you if I'm right. But the ones I sent you arrived safely.

Harrison
15th January 2008, 13:51
Yes, all very strange. And also two of the packages were badly damaged with some of the DVDs shattered! I don't know what they must have done to make that happen.

Stephen Coates
15th January 2008, 15:11
I think i will always send everything recorded delivery even if it international. I did this for something which I sent to America, and USPS were kind enough to tell me when the item left their offices and when it was returned due to there being no one in to accept it.

But I did send an item worth about £50 to Germany using normal airmail and that arrived fine. But I don't trust that to happen again so will use recorded in future.

Something bad must have happened if the DVDs were smashed in their packaging. They are usually hard enough to break just by bending them.

AlexJ
15th January 2008, 18:51
The catch is recorded delivery costs about an extra £5 for international packages rather than the 60p or whatever it is for inland packages. Oh and recorded doesn't actually give any extra protection against the value of the item, just a proof that the item got there or not.

Stephen Coates
15th January 2008, 19:06
It's about £3.50 and you can get additional compensation if you want.

v85rawdeal
16th January 2008, 10:41
The catch is recorded delivery costs about an extra £5 for international packages rather than the 60p or whatever it is for inland packages. Oh and recorded doesn't actually give any extra protection against the value of the item, just a proof that the item got there or not.

And where I live, if you're are not in then the postman will just sign the slip himself and leave the package somewhere hidden or even in plain view. I have lost a lot of mail that way, and the post office always say it is not their fault and that if I knew it was being delivered I should have stayed in!!!