PDA

View Full Version : Who still plays with the PS2?

Ghost
28th December 2007, 23:44
Hello people,

The Playstation 3 is now out for a while now and next year there will be some great releases to choose from such as Metal Gear Solid 4, unfortunate I can not afford a PS3 and as I am now saving up for a new PC it will probably be quite some time before I finally can buy a PS3 myself so I will have to do with PS2.

Before the Christmas Holidays I have purchased Run Like Hell, a survival shooter with focus on the shooting part, and I am planning next year to get Rygar.
Most people praise it and it looks like a fun game to play.

So which of you are also still playing with the PS2?

Harrison
29th December 2007, 00:37
Yes, I'm also still using my PS2. Not many new games, but instead playing some of the recent RPG releases from the past couple of years.

Sharingan
29th December 2007, 08:19
I still use my PS2 from time to time, mostly for finishing up my backlog of unfinished stuff. I bought a lot of PS2 games back then, thinking I'd play through them all in a hurry, but sadly, that's never how it goes.

Right now, for example, I'm playing Okami and Metal Gear Solid 3 - both bloody fantastic games that I should've played back then, but didn't for various reasons.

Having experienced the next-gen technology already, playing PS2 games again doesn't really bother me. After all, a good game is a good game, regardless of what it looks like. In fact, I'd say that currently, the standard of PS2 games is actually better than that of the PS3 lineup (if such things as graphics and sound are disregarded). There's just so much more to choose from.

Buleste
29th December 2007, 12:14
Never owned any PS's.

v85rawdeal
29th December 2007, 17:07
I got my PS2 set up in the bedroom, so I can watch DVDs and play games in there, whereas the PS3, Xbox, Wii, Amiga and PCs are in the living room.

Ghost
29th December 2007, 21:37
Wow, you have a PS3 and an XBox 360?

The releases for the PS3 have indeed a bit slow but I myself expect that improve in 2008 and the PS3 finally taking the place of the PS2 which will probably see very little releases like the XBox did after the Xbox 360.

I find sometimes rather difficult to decide what console to go next for, I used to be a very big SEGA and Nintendo fan, and immediately went for the N64 when it was released though this proved to be somewhat a disappointment.

I later got a Gamecube but mostly to play Metroid Prime and later Metroid Prime 2 and the GBA player, in general I enjoyed the PS2 which I got some time after the Gamecube a lot more because of the larger collection of games.

The Wii I now have also came because of a new Metroid game (I am a really big Metroid series fan) but it would probably not have come if it wasn't for that game, Nintendo consoles feel very poor supported since the Super Nintendo.

v85rawdeal
29th December 2007, 21:58
No, it is just the bog standard chunky xBox, not gonna get the 360 unless M$ decide to pump it out with a much better failure ratio, and a built in HD-DVD drive... So that will probably be never. What with BD now officially winning the HD war (mainly because M$ didn't shove the HD-DVD drive IN the 360 in the first place...)

Another reason for not getting the 360 at the moment is that why spend all that extra money on a console and a game when I could buy the PS2 version for more than £10 less.... and STILL get the same amount of enjoyment from the game! A lot of companies are still producing 360 games AND PS2 games... So it makes me wonder, which machine gets the port???

The PS3, granted, has a slow start, but the only games I buy for it are games that are new-gen exclusives or have some decent online function that I can use (which is strange as I don't have a net connection) But things like Tiger Woods 08 was definitely a PS3, rather than a PS2, purchase (because of the online mode) whereas a game like The Simpsons or NFS ProStreet would more than likely be an old-gen purchase at the moment (Not that I want any of the last 2... Me being very anti-EA at the moment, although I do actually like the soundtrack in TW08... because its not the usual trashy pulp rock they churn out!)

But I still love my flippy-lid slimline hunk o' plastic and silicone!

Sharingan
29th December 2007, 22:04

You crazy little pervert, you! :thumbs:

Wait, you meant the PSTwo?

Submeg
30th December 2007, 00:53

You crazy little pervert, you! :thumbs:

Wait, you meant the PSTwo?

Ohhhhhh now I get it ;)

Demon Cleaner
3rd January 2008, 14:27
I still use my PS2, but rarely as it gets no more interesting releaes lately. But I still have so many games to play, mainly RPGs, but also still have to finish God of War 2.

But again I also have some RPGs to play on the PS3 like Folklore or on the 360 like Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata.

FOL
3rd January 2008, 19:13
Got 1 at PS2 UK launch, played it 6 or 7 times, then used it as a DVD player. Finally gave it to my son, who has used it alot more than i ever would, :).

Rather the PSP, best console ever made in my opinion.

TiredOfLife
4th January 2008, 00:07
My PS2 sits next to my miggy and the pair of them are in constant use.
(Got God of War II on as I am typing this.)

Graham Humphrey
4th January 2008, 10:05
I've had a PS2 for about six years, doesn't get a lot of use these days though. If I do use it I play Pro Evolution Soccer mainly, but also multiplayer games like Mashed, TimeSplitters, Super Monkey Ball, and shooters like Gradius V, R-Type Final, Raiden III, retro compilations like Taito Legends, and obscure budget games.

Harrison
4th January 2008, 11:37
I think when anyone buys a console from a newer generation the focus is instantly on that and everything from the past gets left to gather dust until the novelty of the new hardware starts to wear off. This is one reason I try to wait a bit before buying into each generation of consoles, so I have chance to enjoy the final great releases on the existing platforms. That and the fact that a year into the life of any new system the price has normally halved and all the great first generation games are reduced to bargain basement prices so I can grab a load of games to enjoy as soon as i get the system.

Tiago
4th January 2008, 13:39
I will buy on PS2 vga box adapter to plug to a pc tft monitor, an i will put my PS2 with a old 14" monitor tft in my bathroom so i can pay when i go to the toillet. :D

Harrison
4th January 2008, 14:20
You spend a lot of time on the toilet then mate? :lol:

Buleste
4th January 2008, 14:33
It's all that Potugese food. Thing is which came first the need to play his PS2 whilst on the toilet or the need for the toilet whilst playing his PS2?

Demon Cleaner
4th January 2008, 14:39
It's the molho picante together with the muelhas :lol:

Buleste
4th January 2008, 14:45
It's the molho picante together with the muelhas :lol:

Sounds painfull. Not catching is it? Definitely worth going to see the doctor about though.

Harrison
4th January 2008, 15:22
:lol:

Obviously if you are addicted to a game and are playing it for many hours at a time, already being sat on the toilet while playing will negate the need to ever pause the gameplay! ;)

Demon Cleaner
4th January 2008, 15:45
Just the need to install a fridge too.

Harrison
4th January 2008, 15:52
True. And also a comfortable back rest and arms!

Demon Cleaner
4th January 2008, 16:42
Like Tim Allen built the man's bathroom in Tool Time, now that one was great :lol:

Tim's bathroom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnzBmvIREho)

Harrison
4th January 2008, 16:53
"The male recycling centre" Brilliant!

Ghost
4th January 2008, 19:31
I will buy on PS2 vga box adapter to plug to a pc tft monitor, an i will put my PS2 with a old 14" monitor tft in my bathroom so i can pay when i go to the toillet. :D

I simply take one of my portable consoles with me to the bathroom.

Submeg
6th January 2008, 11:49
lol too good...yea go the DS lol

Buleste
6th January 2008, 20:11
The only problem with the DS is fishing the Stylus out again if you drop it.

Submeg
6th January 2008, 21:39
ewww....um, i would think u would need a wrist strap then? :p

Harrison
7th January 2008, 10:13
The only issue there is the danger of impalement on completion!

Submeg
7th January 2008, 10:24
ok....:unsure: anyway...:whistle:

Buleste
7th January 2008, 10:32
From still using a PS2 to impaling yourself up the ass with a DS stylus. That has to be a record tangent for us to go on.:lol:

Submeg
7th January 2008, 10:45
hey I didnt say anything about impailing...I think the reason this forum is so tangentalised (my new word) is obviously because of Harrison....:rolleyes:

Harrison
7th January 2008, 10:53
Do you think I could add that as a skill on my CV?

Buleste
7th January 2008, 11:03
Depends on what type of job you want. Tangents are nice fruit. Oh wait thats Tangerines. Mathmetician?

Submeg
7th January 2008, 11:10
hehe, highly skilled in the art of tangentalisation

Buleste
7th January 2008, 11:23
That sounds so smutty it's practically x rated.

Harrison
7th January 2008, 11:44
More like something that would occur during a sex change operation. Therefore to me it just sounds painful!

Tiago
7th January 2008, 14:12
You spend a lot of time on the toilet then mate? :lol:

Not much time, but how many times do you think when you go to toilet that you could be doing anything else....?

If you play PS2 for 5 minutes when you go do .... "that thing" .... in a month you can complete some levels in some game.... :lol:

Harrison
7th January 2008, 14:57
Umm... I'm not in the toilet that long! I would also rather play games in fresh air! :sick:

Buleste
7th January 2008, 15:23
That's why god invented extractor fans. Don't you ever have a read in the peace and quiet?

Harrison
7th January 2008, 15:48
Peace with extractor fans? Nah! Would much rather be snuggled up in bed with a warm drink and a book. Then I can just drift off to sleep when I've had enough.

khaxzan
10th August 2008, 19:52
Who still plays ps2?

i do. :huh:

Ghost
10th August 2008, 19:56
Kind of grave digging now, aren't we khaxzan:P

I recently played the Metal Gear games on the PS2 that came with MGS3: Subsistence.

Zetr0
10th August 2008, 20:01
I have just chipped my V9 PS2, it also has hard disk and HDAdvance :D

its an awesome machine... Been loving the Burnout Series (Revenge being my favvy) as well Guitar Hero 2 / Rock the 80's and GH3 as well!!!

the PS2 is on as often as my Hacked XBMC Xbox :D

woody.cool
10th August 2008, 20:12
Who still plays ps2?

i do. :huh:
I've got quite a lot of my favs on PS2 and hence still play on it a lot!

sarek2k
10th August 2008, 23:35
I still play my ps2 too!

having been an anti ps2 man since the first one i got cost me so much (399 one week to the day before it was cut to 299) it took me a long time to forgive sony for that and also the fact it cost me 75 quid for a rubbish chip that barely worked as well as 25 quid for a mem card (500 quid in totall).

after several years i got a ps2 (silver satin) for 69 quid from gamestation and now at last enjoy it with a hard drive and network kit, i'm playing juiced 2 almost exclusive now
but have many other games to go at including R-type Final and God of War 1 and 2.

My wife also plays everybody's golf.

khaxzan
11th August 2008, 01:39
you ppl are acting like PS2 is old as N64! Personally, I only use my PS3 as a DVD player. :p

Harrison
11th August 2008, 14:23
As soon as many people buy into a new gaming generation they do tend to leave the last behind almost instantly. So many people I know just ditched their PS1s as soon as the PS2 was released. Many even throw the lot down the local refuse tip. Madness!

Most however do regret it much later. Look at all the people who sold their Amigas as soon as it was no longer being made, and yet now they are returning to the Amiga because of the memories. Quite mad how many people live a throw away existence but then regret it later.

I still play my PS2. So many game I still haven't played through yet. Especially RPGs.

Sharingan
11th August 2008, 21:31
There's still tons of great games for the PS2, and they can be had almost for free nowadays. Since there's no longer backwards compatibility in the recent PS3 models, it'd be crazy to ditch the PS2. In fact, I intend to buy a slim PS2 sometime soon (even though I already own a slim PS2 AND the original fat PS2), just so I'll have a spare.

Once I have some free time, I fully intend to revisit some of the games I never had the time to finish.

khaxzan
11th August 2008, 23:07
PS3 can play ps1 and ps2 games anyways, so I guess it wouldn't if gamers ditch their old consoles. I wouldn't, i'm quite happy just playing games over an over. I don't get bored with them- i'm just stubborn when it comes to the new games like assasin's creed or drake's fortune. I own them but i haven't really played them through yet.:hmmm: I don't care about better graphics either! heck, i'm still playing conkers bad fur day and jet force gemini on n64!

Harrison
12th August 2008, 00:04
Only the first 60GB version of the PS3 could play PS2 games. Since the release of the cheaper updated 40GB version of the PS3 it can't play PS2 games any more. This was removed as part of the cost cutting measures with the newer version of the console.

Graham Humphrey
12th August 2008, 08:07
I don't care about better graphics either! heck, i'm still playing conkers bad fur day and jet force gemini on n64!

Well as this is an Amiga site a lot of us are still playing Amiga games so what's your point? :lol:;)

khaxzan
13th August 2008, 16:11
It's not, it's just this new shirt I bought. It rucks up like that. :huh:

Demon Cleaner
18th August 2008, 11:15
PS3 can play ps1 and ps2 games anyways, so I guess it wouldn't if gamers ditch their old consoles.Not if you only own copies. And as Harrison mentioned, this feature was removed with the later models. I still keep my consoles anyway.

Teho
18th August 2008, 14:04
Not if you only own copies.

On that note, someone's managed to run copies of PS3 games from it's HD (http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=6241). It's a hassle to pull off and only works with a few games, but it's a start.

Harrison
18th August 2008, 14:47
That does sound complicated, but it also sounds like a great start. Remember the beginnings of the PSP hacking to run unsigned code? That began with people needing to first launch a program into memory via a save game hack, then use a proxy disc to boot code from a memory stick to launch an ISO. And now all we need to do is install a custom firmware, copy the ISOs to the memory stick and bobs your sister's dad's brother.