PDA

View Full Version : Got the Amiga 1200 from Amigakit

Demon Cleaner
10th January 2007, 13:25
I'm holding it in my hands right now, got the amiga 1200 I ordered at Amigakit. I ordered in on Wed 23th november, so this has been a bit long, but looking at the piece, it was worth the wait.

It's a refurbished one, but it looks like brand new. I only ordered the amiga with 260MB HDD and OS3.1, no PSU, accelerator, mouse... I only have to test it now if it also works, which is the main part of getting an amiga.

Demon Cleaner
10th January 2007, 14:30
I just installed the Workbench and files and also played Chaos Engine 2 AGA and it works fine. I'm happy :p

Harrison
10th January 2007, 14:37
That is good to hear. :) It's also good that for a refurbished system it looks like new.

So the case is still nice and white I assume? Although thr A1200 and A600 plastic does seem to stay white much better than the A500 plastic.

LowercaseE
10th January 2007, 15:19
Sweet acquisition DC! I'd still like to get a real A1200 someday but right now I just don't have the money or space for it. One day, I just want to have a whole old-school gaming room with nothing but 32-bit and earlier game systems.

Stephen Coates
10th January 2007, 15:19
Sounds good!

I have noticed that A1200s stay whiter than A500s, but I have seen some pretty dirty A1200s around.

J T
10th January 2007, 15:35
I always wanted an A1200, and a while back was very close to winning the bidding for one with a massive collection of games and accessories. But in a way I'm not too bothered I didn't get it for space and finance reasons (got a lot of other things that would be a better use of money).

Maybe one day.

Demon Cleaner
10th January 2007, 16:07
Yep, it's still white, just like new. I'm sure they're using some stuff to polish the whole case.

Puni/Void
10th January 2007, 17:04
Congratulations on getting that Amiga 1200. :) It's a sweet machine for sure. Good to read that it is still white. Now you only need a neat Amiga sticker or an Intel Outside sticker for it. :D

Demon Cleaner
10th January 2007, 17:18
I need the Install Disk 3.1, does someone have it?

Harrison
10th January 2007, 20:28
Can't you convert one from an ADF? It comes in the tosec set.

TiredOfLife
10th January 2007, 23:32
Excellent.

Demon Cleaner
11th January 2007, 06:51
Can't you convert one from an ADF? It comes in the tosec set.I didn't check the TOSEC, looked at planetemu, but didn't find one there. I'll take a look at the TOSEC then. (Excuse me for being lazy :D)

Demon Cleaner
11th January 2007, 15:00
I just took the file from the TOSEC, copied it via Catweasel, re-installed the whole thing on the 1200 again and now it just works fine.

The first time I booted up the 1200, there was a config from Amigakit that started the installation by itself. I did not ask the STORAGE and LOCALE disks, so I already wondered why it didn't install it. Then just after the installation, it made an error writing something. When working in the worbench later, some files were missing. That's why I formatted my HD again, and re-installed the whole, now it seems to work.

But I have one question. When I try to install something to the HD, I get following error message:

Sorry... an error has occurred
MAKEDIR: Couldn't create directory
DOS Error Type: Unable to locate a file or drawer

Teho
11th January 2007, 15:08
Does HDs need the disk-validator same as floppies? If so, and if it's broken, you can't write to it. The Makedir error is just what it says, it couldn't create a directory for some reason. And I bet the following error is that it couldn't locate the drawer it just tried and failed to create.

Are you in a CLI or shell when you get this? If so, you could try the simple "why" command. When used immediately after an error, the system tries to give some more info on why the error occurred. It tends to be useless though.

Demon Cleaner
11th January 2007, 15:17
I'm in the worbench, not in Shell.

Harrison
11th January 2007, 15:24
Set the drawer view to show all files in the root of your Workbench partition and then have a look in the C drawer. Double check that all of the DOS commands are in there including the makedir one. You may need to also select show all once you open the C drawer too to see the contents.

BTW, to install Workbench you don't actually need to use any install scripts. You can just copy the lot over manually using the set of Workbench disks. I normally setup the HD in some partitioning software, then boot the Amiga from an Workbench floppy, format the HD partitions (they will be sohwing as NDOS until they are formatted), then open a shell window and then copy the complete contents of each disk in the Workbench set to the HD.

Demon Cleaner
11th January 2007, 15:29
I already have Worbench installed, I want to install another application.

The MAKEDIR command is actually in the C drawer.

Harrison
11th January 2007, 15:31
I know. I was just pointing out that you don't need to use an installer to install Workbench to begin with... but anyway, it is still worth checking the DOS commands that are returning the error actually exist on the HD in their correct drawers as that might also cause this error.

Demon Cleaner
11th January 2007, 16:02
I just verified the HD, but it reports no errors.

Harrison
11th January 2007, 16:08
Another thing to check is that your startup-sequence and user-startup files in the S drawer are both ok and setup correctly.

What were you trying to install? Have you looked in the programs installer script to see what commands it is trying to perform? Sometimes older installer scripts written for WB1.3 fall over when you try to use them for WB3.1. When this happened to me I tended to just look at the installer script then manually install the program following the installers method. ie. set up the correct drawer for it, copy the files into it and then setup any assigns required in the startup sequence file.

Demon Cleaner
11th January 2007, 16:49
I wanted to install DemoMania, and now I just installed TV Sports Basketball, it installed fine, but makes errors when trying to run. Do you know something I can install to test this? A game perhaps? I now tried Chaos Engine 2 AGA, but it has no installer.

Or an application that works fine on a 1200 HD.

EDIT: I just installed Final Writer 4, and it worked fine. But when opening the drawer, I cannot find a file to launch the application.

I wrote some adfs with my Catweasel, but some had errors when I did a verify. I then installed the latest 2.1.0.0 drivers, now when I verify the files, and they have errors, it then copies the broken sectors again, and after verifying, they are Ok. Fine.

Harrison
11th January 2007, 19:09
Good games to test with would be something like Civilization AGA or Sim city 2000 AGA. They both come with HD installers and launch from Workbench.