PDA

View Full Version : Movies Napolean Dynamite

burns flipper
21st December 2007, 15:24
This film was on TV recently - has anyone else seen it? I almost died laughing at some points. It is comedy genius on many levels.

Deb: What are you drawing?
Napoleon: A liger.
Deb: What's a liger?
Napoleon: It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed... bred for its skills in magic.

And many more on:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Napoleon_Dynamite

Harrison
21st December 2007, 15:51
I don't think I've seen it.

I do have to question the Wiki page though. It states the film was made in 2004, so it is only 3 years old. And yet then goes on to say it has become a cult-classic. I know attention spans are getting shorter, but I always thought a cult classic was something that when relatively unnoticed at release, and since gained popularity many years later. Not 3 years later when it has probably only just seen a DVD release! Mad!

Submeg
21st December 2007, 16:01
Oh seriously, it is a cult film. I love that movie. Everyone I know has seen it. It's just so stupid, there is no plot, its pure craziness. If you watch Blades of Glory, there are some influences in there

Demon Cleaner
21st December 2007, 16:01
I only watched some minutes, as it was already running for 30 minutes. The guy looked very weird and disturbing.

Harrison
21st December 2007, 16:08
Blades of Glory? I can't stand Will Ferrell. I think he is a complete dick and hasn't yet been funny once in all the films I've seen him in. I endured watching Talladega Nights the other week and couldn't believe how crap it was. Not one moment in the whole film was funny. I am right in thinking it was meant to be a comedy, right? The guy just spent the whole film "trying" to be funny and failed. And every film I've seen him in, he is the same, no acting skills as far as I can tell. How did he become famous?

toomanymikes
22nd December 2007, 10:54
Napoleon D is quality - completely pointless for the majority but v funny. The dance scene is amazing but my favourite part is when he intoduces himself to pedro and tells him there are heaps of gangs in the school and they all want him because he is pretty handy with a bowstaff. Idiot! I think I like it so much because he reminds me of my little bro. He's an idiot too.

v85rawdeal
22nd December 2007, 15:19
My cousin used to look a lot like the lead character...

Actually he looked a lot like a cross between Napoleon Dynamite and Hair Bear from the Hair Bear Bunch ( with a smattering of Leo Sayer )... Man, he had HUGE hair!

burns flipper
4th January 2008, 22:22
I can't stand Will Ferrell. I think he is a complete dick and hasn't yet been funny once in all the films I've seen him in.Try Anchorman. It's not him that makes the film funny, but the whole thing is great.

J T
7th January 2008, 17:37
Coincidentally (and there have been a lot of coincidences recently, but more on that another time) I tried watching this a while ago, but only got through 20 minutes or so before something else came up. It was pretty weird but I quite liked what I did see of it and will try and watch it all when I get a chance. I thought the opening credits with the food were really neat.

burns flipper
8th February 2008, 13:05
Have you seen it yet, JT & Harrison? I picked up the new 2-disc Special Edition from HMV for a paltry £6 just the other week!

LowercaseE
8th February 2008, 23:08
I can't stand Will Ferrell. I think he is a complete dick and hasn't yet been funny once in all the films I've seen him in. ... And every film I've seen him in, he is the same, no acting skills as far as I can tell. How did he become famous?

I could not agree more. Will Ferrell is one of those loud, obnoxious, annoying guys that think everything they say is hilarious and that everyone should hear everything they say. I don't like people like that.

As for NAPOLEON DYNAMITE, I did not like it. I've had many people tell me "you just didn't 'get' it", but believe me I did and there was simply nothing to like about it. In general, any MTV product is going to get a negative reaction from me.

AlexJ
9th February 2008, 16:12
Have you seen it yet, JT & Harrison? I picked up the new 2-disc Special Edition from HMV for a paltry £6 just the other week!

On your and others here's recommendations I've picked this up (it was £4 for a new 1-disc edition on Amazon Marketplace) so I'll let you know how I found it soon.

AlexJ
9th February 2008, 21:01
Okay, I watched it. Being kind I'd give it 4/10. There were some laughs in there, but far too few for 90 minutes. For me, just saying silly things isn't funny and that what 90% of the movie was.

TiredOfLife
10th February 2008, 07:06
Never watched anything with Will Ferrell in it.
Nothing has ever caught my eye.

Having read some of the entries here, can't see me bothering anytime soon

burns flipper
11th February 2008, 12:40
As for NAPOLEON DYNAMITE, I did not like it. I've had many people tell me "you just didn't 'get' it", but believe me I did and there was simply nothing to like about it.Sounds to me like someone didn't get it ;)

Buleste
11th February 2008, 12:48
I think we can say that this is a Marmite subject.

J T
11th February 2008, 15:19
Nah, still not got round to watching it, but it remains on the HDD.

Will Ferrell was quite good in Zoolander, I thought. A large (ish) part but the whole film wasn't centred on him.

TiredOfLife
11th February 2008, 15:36
Forgot he was in that.
So I have seen a film with him in it.

Good film.