PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3 RC launched!

Harrison
20th December 2007, 12:44
In a Christmas surprise, Microsoft have just unveiled the release candidate of XP SP3.

This may come as a surprise to many considering everyone thought that Microsoft were now concentrating on Vista instead and would only be releasing security patches and hotfixes for XP. It just shows how big the XP userbase is and how few have migrated to Vista so far.

The release candidate is available for everyone, but weighs in at about 336MB, and is available from the XP download centre, here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=75ed934c-8423-4386-ad98-36b124a720aa&DisplayLang=en). Although the final version that will be available next year (in the spring) through Windows Update and is rumoured to be a much smaller 70MB download.

If you are interested in seeing what is included within XP SP3 then have a look here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en). The PDF outlines included existing features from existing updates, as well as new features added.

Buleste
20th December 2007, 12:53
Just read the pdf. Most of the "New" stuff has already been available on Windoze Update. Sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

Harrison
20th December 2007, 13:03
Me too. I' not going to be updating to SP3 even when it's officially released next year.

Now, had they done the decent thing and bunged DirectX10 into the mix then that would have been a whole different matter! But then what would anyone have bought Vista for? Exactly! The only reason to buy it is for DX10 support. It doesn't matter how many shiny windows and bells and whistles you bold onto the OS. For most things XP is still just as good.

StuKeith
20th December 2007, 14:00
I thought we might get it! I ran belarc a cpl of weeks ago on my laptop and it said some of the hotfixes where SP3
:cool:

AlexJ
20th December 2007, 14:50
Is SP3 going to require Geninue Windows Verification? Not that it would be any problem of course :whistle:

Harrison
20th December 2007, 15:16
Yes it will. According to the info it will work in the same way as SP2. It won't ask you for a product key to download or install SP3, but once installed it will then pester you with the very annoying Genuine Windows Advantage messages and taskbar icon.

Demon Cleaner
21st December 2007, 12:27
I use a windows validation key by etH0 to pass the genuine verification.

Harrison
21st December 2007, 14:22
Interesting. And it works? I hadn't found a way myself. Although my main system is running a legal copy anyway! It's just the others that are not. :whistle:

Demon Cleaner
21st December 2007, 14:48
Works fine, after the update you run the installer, reboot, and your windows copy is legal again ;)

Harrison
21st December 2007, 15:02
Ah! So it just lets you install the service packs? It doesn't let you get into the genuine advantage Windows downloads? So you don't have access to IE7 etc?

Demon Cleaner
21st December 2007, 15:05
You can update your windows copy with everything it got, not only the SPs. You update like you had a legal copy of windows, and before rebooting your system, you run the installer which copies one file and makes a registry entry. Sometimes you have to reboot twice, as it didn't copy the file correctly. But after reboot you can again check if windows is at its latest state.

Harrison
21st December 2007, 15:09
Hmm... that sounds good. Would you be able to send me a copy? Or upload it to your webspace?

Demon Cleaner
21st December 2007, 15:16
Here it comes, latest version is from 18.10.2007

Harrison
21st December 2007, 15:38
Nice one. Thanks. I will have to try that out later. :)

BTW, do you know if it also worked with XP MCE 2005? Or just the normal XP?

Demon Cleaner
21st December 2007, 15:51
Don't know, have a look at the .nfo file.

Harrison
9th May 2008, 01:28
Has anyone installed XP SP3 yet? I had a Windows update earlier this week informing me that SP3 was really to download and install. Apparently M$ are attempting to roll it out again for all XP users in the hope to get more to upgrade.

I've so far held off upgrading to SP3 as I want to hear what the press have to say about it and any issues it causes.

sarek2k
9th May 2008, 01:55
I'm using a slip streamed version of xp with sata drivers (which i needed as no floppy drive or even any ide drives!) It also has WGA crack and Sp3 installed straight out with a custom installer which unpacks on the fly while installing. It also has re-worked vista style install with some crappy bmw over vista screens as well as vista type aero stuff i have to say i love the look of it all but it's a bit of a dog running mind you my previous etho versions have also thrown up similar errors so i don't know if i've got some faulty memory or summat (1.5gb)

Anyway if you wanna try it look for this name:

Windows XP PRO SP3 RTM (5512) VistaVG Ultimate + SATA-Raid (04-23-2008)

Ps all updates have installed fine no problems!

Harrison
9th May 2008, 10:40
Interesting. I've been using a custom XP on one of my PCs for some time now. It is from the Shareaza community site PeerWeb and is simply called PeerWeb XP. The creators did a great job of it, creating a custom installer that has a very similar feel to some of the Linux installers for Fedora or SUSE. They have crammed in a ton of utilities, applications and other stuff that you can choose during the install, plus cutting out all of the crap from XP making the install much smaller and ending up with a lightweight XP that is more stable.

But that has now been superseded by another custom XP called TinyXP, which is currently as version TinyXP v8.0 SP3 and is definitely one worth considering when anyone needs to reinstall XP the next time. I'm definitely going to be trying it on one of my spare PCs when i get chance. If you want to take a look go here (http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1447546/).

However on my main PC I do use a real licensed copy of XP, and I always do use real copies of OSs on my main system as I like to have the proper access to everything instead of the need to hack or crack something to trick it into doing something. And owning original copies also means that when it comes time to upgrade to the next OS I can do it cheaper than needing to buy a full version from scratch.

I think as SP3 is mostly bug fixes and updates I am going to be installing it, but not before I've made a Restore Point just in case.

Buleste
9th May 2008, 10:58
Just found this oin the Yahoo new sweb site.

Windows XP's latest service pack, SP3, is just a few hours old but the already the complaints are flying Microsoft's way. Reported problems range from being simply unable to install the thing properly to being unable to boot up once you have, and any number of smaller issues in between.

However, the XP community is never one to shy away from having a good old moan, particularly when it can curse and rant, damn and blast everyone and everything at Microsoft right up to Bill Gates himself. I know I very much enjoy doing so every once in a while. It's good for the spleen.

Anyway, with arrival of SP3, the complaints aren't nearly as bad as they could have been. Could it be that so many of us have moved onto Vista that it's just not worth griping about XP any more. Or, miracles of miracles, could Microsoft have got this one half right?

Hopefully it's the latter, what with Vista being a despicable pile of dog shit and all (ahh, that's much better), and because this is likely to be the last major update to the aging OS. Windows XP will in fact stop being sold by our giant Redmond friend at the end of June and mainstream support will only last until April next year. Fairwell old friend; I'll begrudgingly admit that you might have been slightly useful for a couple of minutes.

M$ aren't ruling out extending the support for XP due to the resistance against Vista.

Harrison
9th May 2008, 11:29
I just had a thought. In order to get a legal copy of XP working for more than 30 days you need to activate it. When M$ discontinue support for the OS how long will they keep the activation servers running for it? And in years to come when someone still using XP tries to reinstall it and it asks to be activated does this mean the OS will be dead unless they resort to illegal cracking of the activation?

This is a similar situation to many games these days, especially MMOs. In years to come when the servers have closed down how will the fans preserve online only games for the future? I can't see it will be easily possible with most of the game's content often held at the server end. Look back already to some that are now dead such as Earth and Beyond. I own that game but cannot play it because it requires the server content to work. Therefore I own a completely dead PC game.

Bloodwych
10th May 2008, 10:01
Yes Harrison you're right, but that's the way software is going - purely a subscription based system that benefits the companies and their cash flow but limits consumers and their freedom.

I wouldn't be surprised that all commercial games and operating systems start to become a service rather than a product, where you agree to conditions and must pay them a monthly subscription fee. Once you stop paying the fee, you lose the software.

They'll do this under the guise that it's the only way they can combat piracy.

Problem is all these direct debits and long contracts we are being forced to adopt in modern society are great for businesses, but is a nightmare for consumers cash flow. Miss one wage or lose your job and you're in the sh*t, especially since you'll get charged an extortionate amount for each direct debit rejected! We really need to start fighting back and get the power of our finances back in our hands instead of us all being good little sheep.

Linux will probably come out the winner in the end however - in it's current state, it can do 99% of what an average home user needs out of a PC. Web surfing, emailing, picture editing, open office - all work flawlessly.

I'd imagine once support stops for XP Microsoft will probably end activation of new installs and only activate old copies. They may release a final service pack that removes activation, but that depends on how well the uptake of their latest product is going as they don't want everyone sat around refusing to upgrade.

Thank goodness for third party solutions!!!! I have bought one copy of Windows XP, but I refuse to buy several copies of the same operating system for each computer I own. I also get legit copies for family and friends. It should be one license per person/household, not per computer, for private non-commercial use.

Buleste
10th May 2008, 10:06
I've taken the plunge and installed SP3 and i've had no problems so far.

Harrison
10th May 2008, 10:08
Thank goodness for third party solutions!!!! I have bought one copy of Windows XP, but I refuse to buy several copies of the same operating system for each computer I own. It should be one license per person, not per computer.

Same for me. I own one copy, but no more. I'm not paying £160 just to have the OS on a second PC.

Buleste
10th May 2008, 10:13
I bought XPPro and now have it installed on 3 different HDD with no problems.

Bloodwych
10th May 2008, 10:13

Thanks for being the tester!!! :)

I'm still hanging on waiting to install, but I'll probably do it sooner or later. It really does look like nothing more than a tidy up of current security patches.

Harrison
10th May 2008, 10:14
I bought XPPro and now have it installed on 3 different HDD with no problems.

Same for me. As they are all installed and running from the same IP it has no problem activating all of them and allowing the updates. :)

Regardng SP3. I might install it on one of my secondary PCs and if that goes smoothly then on my main PC. I never trust service packs when they are new. Too many things to mess up a perfectly working setup.

Buleste
10th May 2008, 10:16

Thanks for being the tester!!! :)

I'm still hanging on waiting to install, but I'll probably do it sooner or later. It really does look like nothing more than a tidy up of current security patches.

If by tidy up you mean takes a nice chunk of HDD space then yes. It works fine but i'm going to have to do somwe extreme tidying of my HDD now.

Bloodwych
10th May 2008, 10:19
If by tidy up you mean takes a nice chunk of HDD space then yes. It works fine but i'm going to have to do somwe extreme tidying of my HDD now.

Hehe, typical Microsoft practices! I remember when I ran CCleaner for the first time on my XP install. I found some 1GB of files that "disk cleanup" and XP had failed to clean!!!

Software abuses the fact that PC's and storage are so powerful and abundant in this day and age.

Harrison
10th May 2008, 10:26
So true. Most of it is lazy programming. Look at current games on the PC and how much HD space they need, plus how much ram and other system resources. If they were restrained by a fixed hardware platform (console) then they could easily optimise code to run on it, but because it's on the PC they just keep adding more ram or faster graphics cards to a project to fix any such issues and make the game with less programming skill required.

Back to Windows. There is always a lot of junk left over after installs and updates. Most of it in the Windows directory with long cryptic directoy names. With most of this being the installers that are not needed after the code is installed. Others do it too, especially graphics card drivers where they create a new directory in the root of the C drive to extract the installer's content, but after install they don't tidy it up and remove it.

Buleste
10th May 2008, 10:40
I find Dustbuster is one of the best utilities for getting rid of crap. Even better that CCleaner.

Bloodwych
10th May 2008, 10:52
Never tried that one. I'll give it a go; always looking for new stuff to try.