PDA

View Full Version : Anti Virus software

softlad
10th December 2007, 09:19
I'm back into gaming after 15 years, I've gone all retro, just buying a A1200 off ebay, where can I get a virus checking disc from??? I remember there was loads of problems with virus's back in the 90s, is there still problems. Oh I'm not computer minded so please be gentle with me. Also will the 1200 kickstart 3, play most of my 1.3 kickstart games??/

Many thanks, cheers Dave

Buleste
10th December 2007, 10:50
One of the fortunate things about the Amiga being a Minor platform is that Viruses are not really a problem anymore. If you want AV software then i think the latest is VirusZ and that can be found on Aminet (http://aminet.net/search?f=2&path=util/virus&sort=date&ord=DESC). As for 1.3 games working under 3.0 under normal circumstances if you enter the Early startup and fiddle with the settings if a game doesn't work then that usually helps, Alternativly if you have a HDD you can get a WHDload install package for most games and install the gam,e onto your HDD

Harrison
10th December 2007, 16:18
Hi softlad and welcome :thumbs:

It is always great to see another getting back into the Amiga.

As Buleste said, virus infections were never really that big a problem on the Amiga. When the Amiga was really popular in the 80's and 90's no one was connected to the internet, so the only way a virus could be distributed was via public domain disks, so some did end up on magazine cover disks and very rarely on a commercial game disk, but that was very very rare. I only remember two viruses ending up on magazine coverdisks in the whole lifetime of the Amiga and I bought a lot of magazines at the time.

But you can get one of the virus checkers from Aminet if you are really concerned about getting a virus on your Amiga. But if you are mainly only going to be playing games on your A1200 then you have very little to worry about and I wouldn't be concerned about virus infections.

Running older A500 kickstart 1.3 games on your kickstart 3 based A1200 isn't quite so simple. Again as already mentioned, if you try a game on the A1200 and it doesn't work then you can try the Early Startup feature of the A1200. To do this hold down both mouse buttons as you turn on the Amiga and keep them held down. You should
enter a screen with some settings. For many older games go into the "boot options" section and tick the "disable cpu caches" box at the bottom and then click "use". Many games will then work perfectly.

If they still fail to load then you have other options that will degrade the A1200 down to a spec closer to the older A500 and then most games will work perfectly. A disk called relokick 1.3 is one of the best to use for this. If you find you need this then just PM me or one of the other main members or staff on the forum and we can help you out.

AlexJ
10th December 2007, 17:18
My virus protection back in the day was write protecting the disks (slide the tab in the corner so there's a hole).

Buleste
10th December 2007, 17:31
This has got me thinking. Does OS4 come with any Firewall? Is there any Firewalls for the Amiga at all? I'm assuming that OS4 has been made with connectivity in mind (bloody stupid if it hasn't). If no Firewall then what security software is there?

Harrison
10th December 2007, 17:46
Well it has a browser included doesn't it? And that is a very good point. In this day and age all internet connected computers really do need a working firewall installed and running.

Buleste
10th December 2007, 17:53
If we look at past efforts by Hyoperion of Os3.5 and 3.9 then there will be no security at all. What morons. Great you can go on the web but just don't store any personal information or passwords else you're fcuked.

J T
10th December 2007, 21:57
My virus protection back in the day was write protecting the disks (slide the tab in the corner so there's a hole).

Yep, me too! And power off for 30 seconds between changing games.

Stephen Coates
11th December 2007, 10:28
If we look at past efforts by Hyoperion of Os3.5 and 3.9 then there will be no security at all. What morons. Great you can go on the web but just don't store any personal information or passwords else you're fcuked.

But do all those hackers out there actually know how to, or even care about hacking os4 os 3.9?

I have used internet quite a lot of 3.9, and the last thing I would want slowing the already very slow web browser down would be security software. In fact, I think that woul be more of a problem on the Amiga than it would be on the PC, which continues to have no security software installed and continues to work flawlessly.

Harrison
11th December 2007, 14:11
As usual you fail to see the point in security software Steve. But I am guessing that you actually don't yet use that many sites where you give sensitive data, do you? If you were buying things online using a credit card, doing online banking, buying or selling on ebay or logging into many forums than all of this data is easy for a hacker to obtain from your PC and connection if you have no security software installed. A firewall and malware scanner are essential these days, even more so than a virus checker.

Stephen Coates
11th December 2007, 14:18
Well, my bank account still hasn't been emptied, and there is no spyware on the system as I checked it a while ago.

Harrison
11th December 2007, 14:29
No way of knowing if your system has been infected since that scan.

And how do you know that someone hasn't stolen your personal details and there is now another Stephen Coates living in luxury somewhere devaluing your credit rating into bankruptcy, until suddenly lots of letters come through your door saying you owe lots of people lots of money?

Stephen Coates
11th December 2007, 15:38
Is hacking really a problem on the Amiga these days?

Maybe there is another David Watts using your identity somewhere. No firewall or scanner will protect your identify when you give your details to humans.

Harrison
11th December 2007, 15:48
The problem isn't related to the Amiga; internet connection hacking is based on intercepting data through insecure ports. Therefore it doesn't matter which OS or system you are using as a hacker can still intercept unsecured data as it passes through the network.

As for there being another with my name, I fully expect there is as it is surprisingly quite a common name. There were two of us in my own school, and don't forget there is even a song written about me! ;)

Joking aside, yes you can still have your identify stolen outside of the internet. Leaving your name and address on junk mail you throw away can be used by people, but worst is disposing of bank, credit card and utility bill statements in the trash without first shredding them. Of course there are also most sophisticated id cloning methods out there and for those we have less protection. But it is best just to be as safe and security concious as we can be.

AlexJ
11th December 2007, 16:31
Joking aside, yes you can still have your identify stolen outside of the internet. Leaving your name and address on junk mail you throw away can be used by people, but worst is disposing of bank, credit card and utility bill statements in the trash without first shredding them.

Actually the worst thing of all for avoiding ID fraud is living in the UK, with our governments disregard for basic IT security.

TiredOfLife
12th December 2007, 13:46
The connection software with OS4.0 comes with a built in firewall.
Under 3.9 MiamiDX has a firewall built in.
There also the option to have a hardware firewall as well with mots routers.

Before I forget, welcome to the site. Softlad.

Harrison
12th December 2007, 14:55
That is good to know that if does come with a firewall.

Amazing how quickly this thread went off topic. Faster than usual! ;)

Buleste
12th December 2007, 15:02
That is good to know that if does come with a firewall.

Amazing how quickly this thread went off topic. Faster than usual! ;)

Sounds like a challenge to me.;)

Submeg
12th December 2007, 21:45
Yep, I'm up for that!

J T
13th December 2007, 10:56
There were two of us in my own school, and don't forget there is even a song written about me! ;)

Is it by Scissor Sisters?

Harrison
13th December 2007, 13:20
:blink:???

Try The Kinks, and later covered by The Jam. Simply named David Watts, the song is a perfect reflection of my life! :lol:

Buleste
13th December 2007, 13:28
There were two of us in my own school, and don't forget there is even a song written about me! ;)

Is it by Scissor Sisters?

What are you trying to say about our glorious administrator?

J T
13th December 2007, 13:34
Dunno, but I think he's talking about YMCA by the Village People.

Buleste
13th December 2007, 13:39
Could be worse. Could be a Steps song.

Harrison
13th December 2007, 14:10
I'm starting to sense dissemination in the ranks. Must take action to quash this uprising!

TiredOfLife
13th December 2007, 18:01
Hmm a song about Harrison and that strange avatar.

You are not a dragon by any chance are you?

I'm starting to sense dissemination in the ranks. Must take action to quash this uprising!

I'm guessing you meant dissention.

Harrison
13th December 2007, 18:01
A Dragon? Now that would be cool. Imagine the power I could command with the ability to breath fire at my command.

As for the Avatar, any dedicated Star Wars fans should recognise it. ;)

Harrison
13th December 2007, 18:06
I'm guessing you meant dissention.

Well, contentious quarrelling is definitely second nature here. ;)

TiredOfLife
13th December 2007, 18:06
have all the Starwars films, don't recognise it.

Do you live by the sea?

Harrison
13th December 2007, 18:18
Look at Boba Fett's armour next time you watch it. ;)

I don't live too far from the sea. About 10 miles. Why?

TiredOfLife
13th December 2007, 18:35

That could be fun, unless it's fairly obvious, my eyes won't be upto the job.

Just wondering, about the song and all.

slicer1000
13th December 2007, 18:53
it is also used as the fringe card marker in the star wars mini's game.

just to point out there are a lot of games which do not work on a a1200 even with using the boot options and relokick I currently have a list I am making of what configs are needed to play games.

Buleste
13th December 2007, 19:43

That could be fun, unless it's fairly obvious, my eyes won't be upto the job.

Just wondering, about the song and all.

I thought it was on JAngo's armour. I know it was in the Jango Fett Bounty Hunter game.

As for the sea bit are you thinking of Puff the magic dragon.

Harrison
14th December 2007, 00:24
As for the sea bit are you thinking of Puff the magic dragon.

I must protest! I'm definitely NOT Welsh!!!

I thought it was on JAngo's armour. I know it was in the Jango Fett Bounty Hunter game.

It might be on his armour too as it is a Mandalorian logo, but it is also definitely on Boba's on his right arm plate.

Submeg
16th December 2007, 23:25
Yep, I havent check this topic in a while lol :D