PDA

View Full Version : What programming languages do you know?

StuKeith
29th November 2007, 10:19
I learnt BBC basic 1st at school on the Archimedes and then went to Amos and Blitz on the Amiga. This followed by Qbasic and VB on the PC with small amounts of Delphi thrown in for good measure!!

Buleste
29th November 2007, 10:23
MSX Basic, C64 Basic, C and C++. Toyed with AMOS and Blitz basic adn then stuck to Punch basic (If somthing doesn't work then basically punch it).

Tiago
29th November 2007, 10:23
I work with COBOL,

Ok i now, old-fashion, bla bla bla bla
but hey, more then 90% of world banks still use it in their mainframes....

Harrison
29th November 2007, 13:15
We had a similar thread to this recently, but without a poll. Anyway...

I selected AMOS and Amiga Basic but never really did that much with them, just playing around really, but it was fun. And I know some VBA which I sometimes use for automating tasks in Excel and when I used to develop multimedia presentations for mobile devices, but not much more beyond that.

I also tried HiSoft Basic on the Amiga and a multimedia language called Helm.

But none of the programming languages I know properly were listed.

For online development I know XHTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL, as well as some JavaScript. And for multimedia and presentation development I know Flash Actionscript 2 (version 3 is out now but I've not learnt that yet), and Macromedia Director Lingo which I know quite extensively and use for Director presentations and multimedia work. I also know some MaxScript which is used to automate tasks in 3DSMAX.

AlexJ
29th November 2007, 13:24
Used to use Blitz Basic on the PC a lot. Currently use Java and C quite a bit and have used various assemblers (although not 68k Amiga stuff).

Demon Cleaner
29th November 2007, 14:31
I did 2 years of Turbo Pascal in school, and 1 year of Assembler, but that was on a 8080 processor, long time ago.

At work I began with Cobol, but only because in my first two exams I had Cobol as subject. Nowadays, meaning the last 6-8 years I only do REXX at work, as that is the main language to program something working for the software on the mainframe. Also use JCL at work, but barely, and JCL isn't a "programming" language, it's more to control programs/procedures/jobs, thus Job Control Language.

Tiago
29th November 2007, 14:51
I did 2 years of Turbo Pascal in school, and 1 year of Assembler, but that was on a 8080 processor, long time ago.

At work I began with Cobol, but only because in my first two exams I had Cobol as subject. Nowadays, meaning the last 6-8 years I only do REXX at work, as that is the main language to program something working for the software on the mainframe. Also use JCL at work, but barely, and JCL isn't a "programming" language, it's more to control programs/procedures/jobs, thus Job Control Language.

I also work with JCL :thumbs:
we talked about his some time ago...:hmmm: yes we did :yesyes:

Stephen Coates
29th November 2007, 16:26
Still only a bit of BBC BASIC.

I don't think I have actually gone any further through the BBC BASIC book since we last talked about this, but I have bought a book about using BBC BASIC to get readings from it's analogue port (for things like light and temperature sensors)

Sharingan
29th November 2007, 18:24
If programming the microwave oven to heat up last evening's leftovers counts, then yeah, I know a programming language!

Otherwise, my knowledge of programming is exactly zip, zero, zilch, nada. I was never interested in writing code, even though I was a total computer geek. Big respect to people who can, though. All that hocus pocus sounds mighty complicated to me.

Submeg
29th November 2007, 22:03
I stuffed up the voting :rolleyes: Yes I am mentally challenged....

- C
- Java
- Assembler

Stephen Coates
30th November 2007, 08:41
If programming the microwave oven to heat up last evening's leftovers counts, then yeah, I know a programming language!

Otherwise, my knowledge of programming is exactly zip, zero, zilch, nada. I was never interested in writing code, even though I was a total computer geek. Big respect to people who can, though. All that hocus pocus sounds mighty complicated to me.

I don't think Microwave oven counts, but they are electronics devices that need to be programmes, and they are all different, so I suppose it could be.

In addition to BBC BASIC, I also know a tiny bit of HTML.

Harrison
30th November 2007, 11:23
Some state that they don't recognise HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) as a language, which in a way is true because although it does contain structure, it doesn't in itself contain any logic and requires another proper language (such as ASP or PHP) to provide the logic. HTML is really just a document layout structure describer that other languages use to output their end results, which is then itself passed through a parser (the browser) which interpretes how it should look.

But, without HTML (or XHTML as should now be used) any serverside code wouldn't have a way to display its end results, so I see it more as a component of all web development languages, rather than as a language in its own right. The same is true of CSS and all derivations of XML.

Submeg
30th November 2007, 11:36
pfft :smartass: nerds.

Harrison
30th November 2007, 11:40
*cough* And who here is actually doing a degree in programming? :hmmm:

Submeg
30th November 2007, 11:44
not me, Im an ENGINEER. lol :thumbs: actually, I had to go see my program director today, worked out some little kinks, cant wait til 2009 will be such an easy year

Harrison
30th November 2007, 12:39
But an engineer is someone who uses other people inventions/code to solve a problem.

AlexJ
30th November 2007, 12:50
But an engineer is someone who uses other people inventions/code to solve a problem.

Adapting and implementing an existing system is one thing an engineer might do. It's quite possible though that they would have to design a completely new system.

Puni/Void
30th November 2007, 19:33
The only programming language I feel really comfortable with, is AMOS. Have been coding in this language since the middle of the 90's and I still find it fun.

I also have a bit of experience with Blitz Basic, but not enough to sign it up as a language I know.

Submeg
30th November 2007, 21:02

Adapting and implementing an existing system is one thing an engineer might do. It's quite possible though that they would have to design a completely new system.

If I was a software engineer, maybe....I'm more looking at the bigger stuff...screw making code, that sh1t is fcuked. ;)

Stephen Coates
1st December 2007, 10:34
What kind of engineer are you Submeg?

Submeg
1st December 2007, 20:10
Im studying Electrical and Mechatronic Engineering so: Power distribution and robots

Buleste
1st December 2007, 20:28
Im studying Electrical and Mechatronic Engineering so: Power distribution and robots

His next project is the Orgasmatron.

FOL
1st December 2007, 22:54

hehe, i used to do some of that in college, while training to be an aircraft engineer (didnt pan out, as I didnt get the job, cause i told the truth, while my friend got the job by lying, go figure). Left college after that, started an apprenticeship in consumer electronics. Been there ever since, 10 years now.

Submeg
1st December 2007, 22:57
What do you mean next project? :evil: :lol:

Demon Cleaner
3rd December 2007, 14:55
I graduated in electronics, but didn't have anything to to with it since 1994. And since 1996 I work in the informatics sector for our government.

Buleste
3rd December 2007, 15:12
I graduated in electronics, but didn't have anything to to with it since 1994. And since 1996 I work in the informatics sector for our government.

You've not found any CD's have you?

Stephen Coates
3rd December 2007, 15:39
lol

Unless they accidentally stuck airmail stickers on, I dout it.

Harrison
3rd December 2007, 16:15
That would be funny for those to turn up abroad.

Buleste
3rd December 2007, 16:19
It'd be funny if they turned up in someones desk drawer after the next general election.

Stephen Coates
3rd December 2007, 16:25
In a way, it would be funny if millions of people who claimed benefits bank accounts started to mysteriously empty.

The emptying of the bank accounts wouldn't be funny, but if this did happen, I could easily laugh at the government for being so silly.

Speaking of Her Majestie's Revenue and Customs, we keep getting letters about child benefit for a person who has never lived at this address. We have sent them back and telephoned them, but we still get them.

Harrison
3rd December 2007, 16:49
Sounds like someone has been using your address for something less than honest.

Demon Cleaner
3rd December 2007, 19:41

You've not found any CD's have you?Don't get this one :huh2:

AlexJ
3rd December 2007, 23:31

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_UK_Child_Benefit_data_scandal)

Tiago
4th December 2007, 12:44

His next project is the Orgasmatron.

Orgasmatron ?! Wasn't that a music from Motorhead? Sepultura did a cover of that song, quite cool !
something like "i am the one, orgasmatron, the bla bla bla bla bla bla" ....

Harrison
4th December 2007, 14:06
It was a machine in the 70's Woody Allen film Sleeper.

Buleste
4th December 2007, 14:28

That does what it says on the tin. Power distribution and robotic skills are definitly needed for best effects.

I'm surprised. I thought the British government would be the laughing stock of the developed world. It's probably not hit the headlines that much in other countries as their government are doing some very quick security checks to see if they're vulnerable to such incompetence

Harrison
4th December 2007, 14:39
That is of course when a European country actually has a government! (Belgium)

Buleste
4th December 2007, 14:43

Belgium's a country?? I thought it was a made up place where the French can make fun of and brews crap lager (Similar to Australia).

Demon Cleaner
4th December 2007, 16:33
I'm speaking of Luxembourg!!!

Submeg
4th December 2007, 21:52

That does what it says on the tin. Power distribution and robotic skills are definitly needed for best effects.

I'm surprised. I thought the British government would be the laughing stock of the developed world. It's probably not hit the headlines that much in other countries as their government are doing some very quick security checks to see if they're vulnerable to such incompetence

Actually it did hit headline news here....I laughed. What idiot sends out that information on two cds? Sorry, that is just pure Retard.

Belgium's a country?? I thought it was a made up place where the French can make fun of and brews crap lager (Similar to Australia).

ooooh.....harsh. Harsh, but true. All australian beer is quite bad. :p

Stephen Coates
5th December 2007, 12:24
Well, it would be necessary to send it on CDs if someone requested it. Although if they couldn't have affored the £5000 (?) to delete some of the not-requested information, they should have been able to afford a few extra pounds to send it recorded.

Harrison
5th December 2007, 15:19
Why would it be necessary to send it on CD? Government departments are connected via fibre networks these days so they could have just backed up the database to a single gzip file, encrypted the file and password protected it, and then ftp'd it to the destination. There is no reason for sending such sensitive data by mail these days.

But, if there really was no other way then you don't use a standard postal service anyway. You send it by courier!

Buleste
5th December 2007, 15:26
You send it by currier!

Is that the local indian take away delivery service?:lol: They didn't use Royal mail which is a slight bonus but they used TNT instead. May as well have used snail mail (taping the CD's to a snail and hoping they get there).

Harrison
5th December 2007, 16:06
Dislexia creeping in there. Couldn't remember how to spell it.

Buleste
5th December 2007, 16:09
Sorry, my spelling is attrociu.... atrocio.....awefull but that was just one of those misspellings that was amusing.

Submeg
5th December 2007, 18:35
ha, it seems awful and awesome are two words that are misspelled on this forum. Funny. :p

Zetr0
23rd January 2008, 21:42
programming languages.... wow.... so many now..... oh let me count the ways

Z80 Basic
Z80 Asembly
QBasic
8703 ASM
C / C++
Java
J++
JScript
HTML
DHTML
XHTML
CSS
XML
MATLAB
RC8 ASM
System 32 / 28
RPG III
As400 ASM
PERL / PHP
COBRA
ASP
SQL
CGI

about another 1,000 scripting languages...

still awake ?..... damn....

Submeg
24th January 2008, 05:01
Z80 yikes!

Zetr0
24th January 2008, 05:55
Z80 yikes!

I had a misspent youth.... ;D

Submeg
24th January 2008, 08:28
I can see that :blink: play with that stuff enough and you'll go blind!

Buleste
24th January 2008, 09:13
And Submeg knows all about playing with stuff that'll make you go blind.

Submeg
24th January 2008, 09:19
Yea, I just tried to beat it again, fell 10,000 short! :dry: