PDA

View Full Version : Cannon Fodder

Ghost
27th November 2007, 01:51
Hello guys,

I have started to play Cannon Fodder through Emu again because, lets face it, the PC version wasn't as good as the Amiga.
But I am running into some sound problems now, the sound is how to say it 'broken', it doesn't run well sometimes.

Also, Cannon Fodder has a save function, is this possible to use in the Emu version?

Harrison
27th November 2007, 09:55
Some Amiga games hit the sound emulation quite badly, especially on slower PCs.

WinUAE has a statistic it shows at the bottom of the window called SND. This shows how close to real-time speed it is emulating and playing back the Amiga's audio. If it is in the minus numbers then the emulator isn't currently able to keep up with playing the audio at full speed.

There are a number of things you can try, that will speed up the emulation and help it run the audio emulation at full speed.

1, Run the emulator in a lower resolution full screen. Running it in a window will effect the speed a lot compared to running it full screen. Also try to keep the resolution low at about 640x480 or 800x600.

2, Next you can try to change the Sound settings in WinUAE. Go to the WinUAE properties and go into the Host/Sound section. In here you will see a slider called Sound Buffer Size. Experiment by changing this to different settings as this will help the sound emulation speed on different PCs.

3, If that helps, but doesn't fix it 100% also try changing the Frequency from 44100 to 22050 and changing the Audio Filter to "Always off".

Let me know if any of that helps.

As for the save game feature. You should be able to use it. I forget how Cannon Fodder saves games. If it uses a blank floppy then you can create a blank ADF in WinUAE from the floppies section of the properties window. Then when saving in the game, when it asks for the same game disk just press F12, swap the game ADF in DF0: for the blank ADF you created, and let the game safe to it.

When doing this I would recommend you set the drives to write protected when the game ADFs are selected, so you don't accidentally write to the game adfs, as this can sometimes corrupt them.

Alternatively, some games require a blank floppy for save games that uses a unique special file format. WinUAE can't always create these save game disks, but people have converted many of them into ADFs from the real save game disks, and if cannon fodder is one of these then you may need one of these pre-made save game ADFs. If you find you can't save the game let me know and I will have a look for the same game disk adf for you.

Alternatively, Cannon Fodder can be installed to harddrive and then you can save your games to the harddrive, which is often much easier.

Teho
27th November 2007, 14:25
Cannon Fodder did use a special format savedisk, and it has an option to format one in its save menu. So you could just make a copy of any adf you have and let the game format that into a savedisk.

Last I played Cannon Fodder on WinUAE the savedisk still wouldn't work though, but this was many many versions ago. Being a popular game it was one of the things that people kept requesting that the developers add support for, so I bet it probably works by now.

Harrison
27th November 2007, 14:59
I have a collection of save game ADFs and I just checked and I have them for the two cannon fodder games, so here they are for you. I hope they work.

Buleste
28th November 2007, 17:20
Another option would be using the WHDload version from hard drive. This can be found at http://www.whdownload.com (This is the whole game not just the WHDload install file).

Ghost
28th November 2007, 22:05
Hello guys,

I am going to check the suggestions that Harrison gave me later, I have also downloaded the two save discs now.