PDA

View Full Version : ATX PSU 2 Amiga 500 case tutorial now up

StuKeith
26th November 2007, 23:48
Ok the project is now complete and running. I have had the power supply active for a couple of hours and it didn't melt down or blow the A1200, so all is well.

Here is a couple of pictures to whet the appetite a bit.

http://www.a1200.sksoftware.co.uk/PSU/casepacked.jpg
http://www.a1200.sksoftware.co.uk/PSU/casespacked.jpg

The full 6 page guide can be found here (http://www.a1200.sksoftware.co.uk/PSU/psu.html)

AlexJ
27th November 2007, 00:22
One point on the safety tip "MAKE SURE THAT THE POWER HAS NOT BEEN ON FOR AT LEAST 24hrs! This will allow the capacitors in the PSU to discharge and be safe to work with."

Surely the capacitors would discharge to a safe level within minutes if the bleeder resistors are doing their job, or never if the bleeder resistors fail. I don't see what leaving it 24 hours will do.

Tiago
27th November 2007, 09:27
Great work Stu !!!
Nice project !!

Harrison
27th November 2007, 10:03
Very nicely done Stu. I hadn't thought if fitting an ATX PSU into an A500 PSU case. Looks nice.

BTW, you didn't mention what the extra wires were going to be for. I assume they are for connecting up a CD drive, but it might be worth mentioning that in the guide.

StuKeith
27th November 2007, 10:11
One point on the safety tip "MAKE SURE THAT THE POWER HAS NOT BEEN ON FOR AT LEAST 24hrs! This will allow the capacitors in the PSU to discharge and be safe to work with."

Surely the capacitors would discharge to a safe level within minutes if the bleeder resistors are doing their job, or never if the bleeder resistors fail. I don't see what leaving it 24 hours will do.

Better to be safe than sorry! I've always been told to leave things like that unplugged for as long as possible to help prevent shock.

Harrison, I thought I did put a note in with the "cut the ATX plug off part" Ill take a look as it was midnight when I finsihed!

Harrison
27th November 2007, 11:03
Oh yes, you are right, I missed that bit. You do have "I left the original Molex connector on so That I could power drivers externally to the Amiga if required."

But maybe it needs a bit more detail at the very end of the guide just to enforce what the extra wires are for?

Buleste
27th November 2007, 14:02

Capacitors can hold their charge for a long time. There are reports of people dying from shocks received by capacitors even when they havn't been used for weeks.
Realistically 24hrs is about rightfor fully functioning PSU's

Harrison
27th November 2007, 14:06
The warning mainly apply for CRTs and PSUs because they do have capacitors that can hold a charge for a very long time after being switched off. So it is better to be safe, rather than sorry.

Buleste
27th November 2007, 14:31
And can we not go down the electrocution puns road please.:please:

Harrison
27th November 2007, 15:09
I promise. I know how shocking they have been.

Buleste
27th November 2007, 15:21
:chair::badlanguage::flamebounce::rant::biggun::badmood:

Harrison
27th November 2007, 15:56
Nice to see someone expressing themselves through smilies ;) But I hope you don't "black out" with all that excitement. I wouldn't want you to short circuit! ;)

Stephen Coates
27th November 2007, 16:22
Be careful you don't get electrocuted from that lightning!

You could of course make sure that capacitors are discharged before you use them by shorting the two pins, but that could cause damage yto yourself and the PSU if there is much charge in it.

StuKeith
27th November 2007, 20:40
I hope my projects can be of some use to people out there! :yesyes:

Harrison
27th November 2007, 23:40
Definitely. I might try something similar very soon.

Stephen Coates
28th November 2007, 12:58
That would be good for me to try as my ATX power supply is currently ihn it's own metal case with loads of unused wires sticking out.

But it might not fit in an A500 PSU, and I don't have a spare PSU case, so I might have to consider some other kind of case to put it in.