PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Galaxy

toomanymikes
16th November 2007, 20:03
I picked up Super Mario Galaxy today for my Wii as it has been gathering dust since I downloaded Warhawk. First impressions are good, not sure if it deserves the glowing 10/10 review on gamecentral this week but I will persevere and give updates (but not spoilers) if anyone is interested. :)

Buleste
16th November 2007, 20:11
You lucky swine!!!!! I want a Wii (yes i'm going to got ot the toilet, Ha Ha) and Mario it looks the Mutts.

Ghost
16th November 2007, 20:13
Hello,

Do try Metroid Prime 3 Corruption as well if you have the chance.
A pretty good game too.

J T
17th November 2007, 11:56
I got this yesterday and have played about 2 hours (around 12 stars in) and.......

It's ****ing ace! Big smile on my face. It's got so many nice touches and feels like a very, very solid game. Everything just works, it all makes sense, looks brilliant and the sound is great too (lots of nods to music from the old games). So far there have been a couple of levels that weren't an instant breeze but required just a bit of extra trying, so it may well have a decent level of challenge but without being ridiculous.

I am massively impressed. I never consider a 10/10 mark to be a perfect game (as of course there is no such thing) but more of an indication that if you have a Wii this is one of the absolute must-haves - and I couldn't agree with that more. It really is a joy to play.

However, if you are dead-set that you don't like the mario games, this may not be enough to convince you, other than a few "that was neat" moments.

Harrison
17th November 2007, 12:07
The Mario games have always delivered near perfect enjoyment and great gameplay. I've enjoyed them all to date. I will eventually need to buy a Wii so I can play this one.

Many people slagged off the last one, Mario Sunshine, but I had great fun with that too and played it for hours at a time, and it always feels in Mario games that when you don't get something right (like a jump, timing of something etc) that it was your fault and not a limitation of the game, which is great as it makes you keep playing and attempting it until you get it right.

v85rawdeal
18th November 2007, 12:36
Have seen the adverts for the game, looks stunning .. BUT ... the giant toads tool made me feel a bit 'uncomfortable'

Stephen Coates
18th November 2007, 13:18
I saw the advert for this. Sounds good.

You might be amazed to hear this, but this Wii console sounds quite interesting. I might get one next year if I can afford it (although a PPC is still higher on the list).

I have liked the Super Mario games that I have played. I managed to get quite far in Super Mario Land on the GameBoy recently. I have played Super Mario on an NES as well, but that was a very long time ago and I still havn't got an NES.

toomanymikes
18th November 2007, 17:01
Steve, being a fan of all things retro I recon you would love a Wii (he he). reliving old nes and megadrive games is fantastic. And so is Super Mario Galaxy on that point. I played it a bit longer and it is really enjoyable, plus my daughter loves it and i dont feel guilty about playing it in front of her unlike Resistance or Warhawk which is basically you just killing / being killed the whole time you play. Ill save those for after her bedtime! ;)

J T
18th November 2007, 18:57
Super Mario Land on the GameBoy

An excellent game, and really quite hard too. Beating this game was really quite something for me. Do check out Mario land 2 (Six Golden coins) which has some great levels. Mario land 3 (Warioland) is even more fun still - a rare game I 100%d, and without a guide.

Stephen Coates
18th November 2007, 19:49
I already have Mario land 2 and Warioland and have had them for quite a long time. Both good games.

Harrison
19th November 2007, 12:26
The Wii is definitely a great choice of console for you Steve because it is as much retro as it is current. Plus it has the great control system that means you get exercise at the same time!

Stephen Coates
19th November 2007, 12:37
It's remote control system is one things that seems quite interesting.

Sharingan
19th November 2007, 13:00
I'm looking forward to playing this too. Might be enough of an incentive to buy a Wii as well ... even though I've enough games right now for the PSP/PS2/PS3 to last me two years!

Demon Cleaner
19th November 2007, 14:06
I think that the only positive aspect of the Wii is its negative one. Can you follow, or should I explain?

Stephen Coates
19th November 2007, 14:32
I don't understand.

Demon Cleaner
19th November 2007, 15:15
Well, in my opinion the Wii has only negative aspects, childish games, fiddly controller system, not really next gen, but more retro. And that is exactly what makes the console at least a bit interesting, so that way around, its negative aspects turn into positive.

Don't argue now and mention Zelda or Metroid Prime. I mean 75% of the games that are more childish. You can of course have another point of view, but I was never a fan of Mario or other Nintendo celebrities.

Stephen Coates
19th November 2007, 15:26
What exactly do you mean by 'next gen' and 'childish games'?

Demon Cleaner
19th November 2007, 18:33
What exactly do you mean by 'next gen' and 'childish games'???? Next gen = PS3 & XBox360. Childish = Barney Bear goes Camping.

Sharingan
19th November 2007, 20:46
That said, games like Wii Sports and Wii Play are quite fun when played with a bunch of friends. Sure is different from online multiplayer, where everything is more impersonal.

As for childish games ... well, there are some titles on the PS2/PS3 that could be called 'childish' (Ratchet series, Jak & Daxter series), but personally, I've enjoyed them quite a bit. It kind of depends on how much creativity has been poured into them. To me, a good game is a good game, even if the game's target audience isn't 16+.

AlexJ
19th November 2007, 21:15
For me, a good game is a good game. I originally stayed clear of the Wii, seems as the only thing on there that everyone was on about was Wii Sports, which I got bored of after an hour. After reading about Mario Galaxy etc. it's starting to get tempting.

J T
20th November 2007, 16:55
I'm about 35 stars into this now (if it's like SM64, and I've read it is, it'll take around 60 to get to the final boss, and 120 ish for full completion).

I have to say that it is an absolute joy to play, it really is. It has been pretty straightforward so far, it's not mega easy-peasy but it can be rushed through if that's what you want - i hope there are some levels that are more challenging later on, and I'm sure there will be - there have been a coupld of slightly devious bits so far, but rewardingly so - in the way that (as Harrison mentioned) you can see what you have to do but just mess it up a bit, but get that bit further each time.

If you are scared of your inner child-like sense of joy and fun (as Demon Cleaner seems to be), this game is probably too bright and jolly for you - but that's part of why I'm enjoying it so much. Big smile, but I just hope it isn't all over too quickly, and I hope it gets more challenging.

Demon Cleaner
20th November 2007, 18:05
If you are scared of your inner child-like sense of joy and fun (as Demon Cleaner seems to be), this game is probably too bright and jolly for you - but that's part of why I'm enjoying it so much. Big smile, but I just hope it isn't all over too quickly, and I hope it gets more challenging.I won't surely play it ;) if I want something childish, bright and jolly, I'll play some of the great MAME games.

toomanymikes
9th December 2007, 10:36
Im a bit further in now (but after a week away im probably miles behind JT) and it is utterly fantastic. It seems to capture the puzzle elements of the earlier 2d Marios brilliantly - by puzzle I mean platforms and traps that are themselves a challenge. If you have a Wii and like platform games then you can do a lot worse than picking this up.

J T
9th December 2007, 18:26
Got up to 60 stars yesterday, so enough to fight the final boss (which I have, and beat him). So I'm halfway through. The last level before bowser was nicely challenging and had a couple of really neat ideas.

I really can't praise this game enough, it's one of the very best games I've played. In fact, it quite possibly is the best. For Wii owners I'd say it's a must-have.

Harrison
10th December 2007, 12:49
Damn! Now I have to get a Wii! I've always been a big fan of Mario and "need" this latest game. Although I never fully completed Sunshine so I may play that again to satisfy my Mario gaming until I do get one. Might look in the January sales.

Sharingan
10th December 2007, 13:25
I played it for a bit on my bro's Wii, and from what I've seen, it's a lot of fun and really innovative. Great to see another creative effort from Nintendo.

I'm likely picking up a Wii in January too. If anything, creating Mii's of all your family and friends is hilarious fun in itself.

Ghost
20th December 2007, 03:29
Hello guys,

I have a bit of a dilemma, I have just finished Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for the third time, and while it is a fun game I am now a little tired of Metroids games and I would to experience something new.

Unfortunate my PC can't run the latest games so that will have to wait for a while before I get a new game for the new PC which I hope to buy next year around summer.

That leaves me with my Wii.
Would this be an interesting game for me to play?

To be honest, I am not really a Mario fan. I used to play the Sonic games more until that gameplay went downhill and the games were filled with melodrama.
But I also don't want to be left bored for the Christmas days.

My aunt once told me, when in doubt never buy but seeing as there is little else on the moment that interests me and I have already spend enough on presents for others I would like to have something for myself.

Harrison
20th December 2007, 04:14
Well it is possibly the best game on the Wii to date, so you wouldn't be disappointed if you do buy it. Personally I've always found the Mario games great fun as they contain such a diverse amount to do, with all of the levels offering something new.

BTW, building your new PC next summer will be a great time to get a new one as the next CPUs and GPUs are about to be released, so come next summer they will be affordable. Let me know close to when you are ready to buy your new PC and I will do you a rough hardware list.

Ghost
20th December 2007, 10:09
Hello Harrison,

Well I am more and more considering of getting this game, on the moment I am a little depressed about most releases as I either don't find them that exciting or I simply can't run them.
I ignored Super Mario Galaxy when it was released as it looked a little too childish to me, a little to much of the Nintendo friendliness.
But that doesn't beat the fact that it is a good platformer.

BTW, do you ever notice when I have been abscent for a while?

Harrison
20th December 2007, 10:37
Being childish is a stigma Nintendo have always had to try and combat since their first games. Personally I've never seen them as childish, but more like some of the greatest cartoons. Great fun and enjoyable.

No one creates gameplay on a level with most of Nintendo's own games.

Harrison
20th December 2007, 10:41
BTW, do you ever notice when I have been abscent for a while?

Quite a few members only drop in from time to time, so it's not really anything I worry about. I know you have many other things going on, so it's always great to see you popping into the forum.

Buleste
20th December 2007, 10:46
I don't think you can call Nintendo childish just more family orientated. Besides if you think about it then being less adult means you can capture the next generation of gamers early.

Ghost
21st December 2007, 20:35
Quite a few members only drop in from time to time, so it's not really anything I worry about. I know you have many other things going on, so it's always great to see you popping into the forum.

Hope I didn't come off self centred, I was just curious :p ;)

Anyway, I have ordered Super Mario Galaxy now and I hope I will receive it tomorrow.

Also, has anyone read about that guy who is offering his second hand Wii for sale for ten million pounds?

Harrison
22nd December 2007, 02:14
I've not heard about that, but I assume he is trying to cash in on the shortage of Wii's this Christmas. Strange that I keep hearing that there are no Wii's in shops. Especially as the Woolworths in Portsmouth had a load of them in stock the other week when I was there.

Ghost
22nd December 2007, 13:03
There seems to be no shortage of Wiis here in the Netherlands, but I keep hearing news of countries like the UK that Wiis have become very rare in the stores there.

I don't know how big that city is you mentioned but perhaps they talk about the consoles being sold out in the real big cities.

On other note: I just got Super Mario Galaxy with the mail.

Harrison
22nd December 2007, 14:46
Portsmouth is very big. If I tell you it has a naval base then that should give you an idea. I wonder if they still have some Wii's in stock? I might buy a load and make a big profit! ;)

rayzorblue
22nd December 2007, 16:55
Think i might go and buy Super Mario Galaxy tomorrow, i got Umbrella Chronicles the other day and was a little disappointed with it as i hadn't read any reviews and just assumed it would be another great Res Evil game and although it is indeed a decent enough shooter its not exactly Resident Evil, so i reckon Mario is a reliable little guy that will provide me with a lengthy game to while the hours away.

Ghost
23rd December 2007, 00:32
Hello all,

Well I have been playing Super Mario Galaxy for a while.
It is a very enjoyable game and the setting is really impressive, shooting between all those planetoids with all those nice star backgrounds.

Its kind of funny how all these small places have their own theme and how the world suddenly changed as you from the upside to the downside of certain locations.

The music also helps set up the mood.

Unfortunate I also have a few personal complaints, not so much against the game in general but problems of my own.
Like Super Mario 64 this game is awful for my sense of 3D, I sometimes really have difficulty with ranging distance, making the character performing wrong jumps or ending up in a black hole.

I also really don't like all those abysses of doom such as the mentioned black holes, sometimes making it difficult for me to perform very precise actions as I am always worried that I make a mistake and have to start from the beginning again.

The control of that ray is also very frustrating on the wrists sometimes.

StuKeith
23rd December 2007, 07:35
Portsmouth is very big. If I tell you it has a naval base then that should give you an idea. I wonder if they still have some Wii's in stock? I might buy a load and make a big profit! ;)

Last year CEX were give over £200 cash for 2nd hand wiis and selling close to £300! :o

Harrison
25th December 2007, 17:47
But CEX are just rip off merchants. There is sometimes the odd bargain, but not much any more. When they first opened they were much better. I knew one of the guys in the Southampton shop for years and he would email me when they got something I wanted in, and he would always sell it to me for the price they paid. Shame he left.

@Ghost. I agree regarding spacial awareness in 3D games. I also sometimes have trouble with judging the distance between things in games like 3D platformers. I think every does from time to time, but no game is perfect, and it isn't that much of a flaw when you consider everything else in the game.

Ghost
26th December 2007, 22:50
Hi Harrison,

In general I do like the 3D space scenes, its the 2D levels between that sometimes get on my nerves because of the mentioned abysses and my 3D problems.

I kind of get the idea that the developers weren't complete sure what to go for.

The whole ray racing brings back nightmares from Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future. I hated the whole floating water sections as one misjump could force you to start over again and you never knew when you had reached a checkpoint.

Well its good that there are plenty of lives but if you go so quickly through them its not so fun.