PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty 4 bricking PS3

Demon Cleaner
16th November 2007, 07:50
Apparently there is a problem with the disc of CoD4. Unfortunately I cannot read the topics i saw at another forum as they are websensed, but I'll post them here, so anyone can read if there's some truth behind this.

Source 1 (http://www.infinityward.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2680.0.html)
Source 2 (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=callofduty3&thread.id=43787)
Source 3 (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=935544)

EDIT: I just read this:

IT's the 90nm CELL not the GPU. The 90nm RSX GPU is tried and proven technology. RSX-like chips have been running in PC's for years. The problem lives with the 90nm Cell chip, COD4 will pushs the 90nm Cell harder than any game before, the chip will heat up and the heat will not move out of the PS3 quick enough cause failure. the Cell will die and the power supply and the Cell will not communicate anymore. 40 gig PS3's are not having this problem becasue they use a 65nm Cell Chip that is faster and cooler.

I have a 40GB one, but I don't know if this post is trustworthy? Don't know what's the hype anyway?

Harrison
16th November 2007, 08:14
Slightly worrying. I had a quick read through some of the threads you linked to and it seems there is a lot of conflicting information.

Some are saying it is the game bricking the PS3 due to a conflict with firmware 2. Others are saying it is only effecting the 60GB version of the PS3, while others are saying it has nothing to do with the game and is just a faulty batch of PS3 PSUs and the game pushes the system enough to stretch these PSUs over their limit and the system shuts down to protect itself.

But no one yet knows for sure. Someone even said the game is doing similar things to PCs and Xbox 360s, which I find very hard to believe. Especially to PCs.

Buleste
16th November 2007, 08:17
Ah modern technology. Designed and tested by smurfs.

Harrison
16th November 2007, 08:20
Umm... did you ever see a picture of the key designer of the Amiga, Jay Miner? He looked more like a smurf than anyone I've ever seen. I still swear his beard was false though! :lol:

Buleste
16th November 2007, 08:24
Ah but that was before the smurf brand was sold to mega corporations and dumbed down. Besides paint Alan Sugar blue and there you have Papa Smurf and we all know what Amstrad products are like.

Sharingan
16th November 2007, 08:27
Hmm ... I haven't had trouble with my PS3 yet after playing CoD4 for several hours, but then again, I've only played the Single Player campaign so far, and only went online one time.

Something about the whole story sounds a bit fishy to me though. A specific game directly killing a piece of hardware, while other games are just fine? I don't see that happening.

Buleste
16th November 2007, 08:33
Umm... did you ever see a picture of the key designer of the Amiga, Jay Miner? He looked more like a smurf than anyone I've ever seen. I still swear his beard was false though! :lol:

Lets face it the original Amiga designers were nerds who wanted to get laid. Amiga means girlfriend. The chips are named after women all in a cunning bid to fool thier other nerdy friends that they were actually getting some action when we all know that people with beards are either single or grew their beard after being in a relationship for a long time.

Demon Cleaner
16th November 2007, 09:02
Some even mentioned that the same happend to PS2 consoles with CoD3. Is this the big CoD bug?

Submeg
16th November 2007, 09:30

Like I said before, that guy has a bear growing in his beard....

Get it?! BEARd? HAHA. :dry::tease:

Sharingan
16th November 2007, 13:11
IT's the 90nm CELL not the GPU. The 90nm RSX GPU is tried and proven technology. RSX-like chips have been running in PC's for years. The problem lives with the 90nm Cell chip, COD4 will pushs the 90nm Cell harder than any game before, the chip will heat up and the heat will not move out of the PS3 quick enough cause failure. the Cell will die and the power supply and the Cell will not communicate anymore. 40 gig PS3's are not having this problem becasue they use a 65nm Cell Chip that is faster and cooler.

I say total bullshit. CoD4 pushing the Cell harder than any other game? People have been Folding@Home on the PS3 for days, weeks and even months on end without the PS3 failing, so it's ludicrous to claim that a game could somehow cause the Cell to overload. If anything can push a CPU load to the max, it's F@H, period.

People who make up this crap must've been dropped on their heads when they were still babies.

And 65nm Cells being faster and cooler? Cooler, yes. But other than the production process being different, both chips will be entirely identical functionally.

Demon Cleaner
16th November 2007, 14:35
I also think that this is a hoax, and it's not yet mentioned on some trustworthy sites. The guy whose PS3 is apparently bricked also said, that he already had 165 units in F@H, which is a LOT. I tested it, and with my connection, I need approx. 10 hours for 1 single unit, so imagine how much his PS3 was running, perhaps that lead to the problem.

v85rawdeal
17th November 2007, 20:27
Some even mentioned that the same happend to PS2 consoles with CoD3. Is this the big CoD bug?

A CoD bug??

That seems a bit fishy to me!

Harrison
19th November 2007, 12:36
The thing that is the strangest is as mentioned that this "bug" hasn't been announced by any more reliable websites or the press. I think with all the major PS3 press now having played the game a lot for review at least some of them would have encountered the bug had it been real.

J T
20th November 2007, 21:36
A CoD bug??

...Groan...

Does sound like quite a far fetched scenario. Maybe someone really just doesn't like Call of Duty and started a smear?

Submeg
20th November 2007, 22:32
A CoD bug??

Hmm that joke was used! HA!:eyebrow:

Harrison
20th November 2007, 23:08
I chose to ignore such an obvious joke myself. ;)