PDA

View Full Version : Current Site Poll - What's your favourite Amiga OS?

Harrison
15th November 2007, 16:56
It's been interesting to see the voting on the main site's current poll "What's your favourite Amiga OS?"

To begin with Workbench 1.3 was easily winning, then 3.1 started to gain votes and they were level, but now 3.5 - 3.9 has quickly moved into the lead.

I thought 1.3 might still be quite popular with many, being the main OS most will have used on their A500's, and 3.0-3.1 for the A1200. But in a way I'm a little surprised by OS 3.9 gaining such a lead. Yes, it is obviously the best non PPC Amiga OS, but I wasn't sure it would be everyone's favourite.

I'm also a little surprised that Workbench 2 hasn't yet had a single vote, although as most people jumped from a WB1.3 A500 to a WB3.0 A1200 they would have missed WB2 completely. And after using 3.0, version 2 just feels like a more basic version. Although I did like Workbench 2 myself, having used it as my main OS on the A600 for nearly 2 years before getting an A1200.

Don't forget to vote in the poll if you haven't yet. You can find the poll on the right hand side of the home page. :)

And I'm planning on adding a new poll to the main site at the beginning of each month.

Tiago
15th November 2007, 16:58
Yes, but i never worked with 3.5 or 3.9 so is difficult to judge...

Stephen Coates
15th November 2007, 17:19
Hard for me to say which is my favourite.

I wouldn't say 1.3 as I've never really used it. I use 2.04 regulaly though and like it (I'll have to see about upgrading to 2.1), and I also use 3.9.

I like 3.9 because it has lots of extras included like AWeb and AmiDock and is on CDROM, but it does have things like GlowIcons which arn't really necesary and will probably slow down an A1200. They also take up quite a lot of room compared to the little draws of previous versions. I am thinking about switching back to 3.1 on the A1200 to see how it compares, but I do still like 3.9 and it should be great if you have a faster processor/graphics card, or run it in WinUAE/Amithlon.

Harrison
15th November 2007, 17:55
Steve's comments show why the latest version isn't always the best and favourite version for everyone. Everyone has different levels of experience using each version, some may not even have used some of them, and some like 3.9 may just be too big and contain a lot of stuff most users don't need.

Personally my favourite is still 3.1. 3.9 is great but for most things I ever do on the Amiga I just need a basic Workbench 3.1 setup to get the job done. It would have been different had I still been using the Amiga as my main computer platform, then I would want the latest and best, but for retro gaming it's not quite the same requirements.

TiredOfLife
15th November 2007, 17:56
Depends on your setup.
I have no problem with glowicons.
An they look the dogs nads.

Not everything has to be useful if it is easy on the eye.
Hence the current drive to get some girlies on this site.
:yesyes:

Stephen Coates
15th November 2007, 20:45
Is this like the third topic this week that girls have been mentioned?

From what i can remember, everything that I have done so far in OS3.9 could have also been done in 3.1.

I have no problem with glowicons.
I like glowicons, but I also like the old workbench icons. Similar to how I like the icons in Windows XP but also like the older Windows ones. I can't really decide which I like best.

Zetr0
22nd January 2008, 20:38
For me atleast I have a taste for both 3.1 and 3.5

for limmited Amiga's then a 3.1 system is best, moving upto a classic workbench depending on specification, for those that have an 030@50 or better with atleast 16MB Ram, then OS3.5 is the winner, although it takes a bit longer to boot than emulation!

mentioning emulation, i think its here you will find the Real use od OS3.9 or greater for UAE :)

other than that... (not mentioning the abortion that is OS4) all else is cool,