PDA

View Full Version : Do you cook?

Sharingan
14th November 2007, 14:20
And are you any good at it?

I'm afraid my cooking skills are limited to making fried eggs, omelettes, simple fried noodle/rice dishes and pasta bolognese (obviously, with ready-made sauce!). Oh, I'm not so bad at chicken/curry rice either.

I wish I were better at cooking though, since it's quite fun. The problem is that I'm usually rather chaotic by nature, and when you have food sizzling in 2-3 frying pans at the same time, being chaotic is kind of a BAD thing.

Let's hear about your kitchen disasters.

Harrison
14th November 2007, 14:30
I can cook and am OK at it. I can cook pretty much anything by following a recipe, and can cook things like a roast dinner without any problem. I also like to cook curries and such.

Most disasters I have when cooking is a tendency to over cook and burn things. Other than that nothing to bad has ever gone wrong.

Buleste
14th November 2007, 14:33
I know a good accountant who can cook books. TASTY.

Tiago
14th November 2007, 14:35
The topics are kind a strange lately.... cooking skils ?!?!

Well,
i dont cook so many times, but i can do:
- fantastic codfish in oven (Portugal is the biggest consumer of codfish in the world!!)
- magnificent lasagna (verdi/fiorentina and bolognesi)
- 5 or 6 types of pasta
- and some other meat and fish dishes...
- i am learning to do some soups also.

But i dont do it a lot, most of the times i go eat in my father's or mother's or girlfriend's house.

Sharingan
14th November 2007, 14:39
The topics are kind a strange lately.... cooking skils ?!?!

Well, this IS the "Off Topic" forum, so anything goes :)

And yeah, if I ever visit Portugal, I really want to try some seafood dishes there. Portugal is quite famed for its seafood!

Harrison
14th November 2007, 14:41
Are the fish dishes in Portugal similar to those in Spain? I know of the main dishes in Spain but not really anything about local Portuguese dishes.

Tiago
14th November 2007, 15:23
Well, if you have to pick the most similar foods to Portuguese food...

first would be
Brazilian
then
Spain, Italy and France.

Portuguese food is excellent, not because i am Portuguese ok? I can easy say that for many things we are the worst in the world, but not for food.

Probably the best in the world. But you have to get a litle away from the major cities, go to the interior.... and them....OMG...

Seafood of course it must be in seaside. One of the best lobsters in the world is from
Sagres village in top south of Portugal in Algarve, in the most left part, the most far away point from UK... it's just superb !!!

One of the major reasons that we have great food is basic ingrediants like olive oil.
We avoid to cook with vegetal oils or butters or that kind of sh.. we have the best olive oil in europe, and that is the basic ingrediant.
Wines are also excelent, like Spain/France/Italy it's really good.

But Harrison, it's much better then Spain...

Harrison
14th November 2007, 15:37
:lol: I had the feeling you would say it was so much better than Spain. ;)

BTW, something I want to ask that I would be interested to know. Do the Portuguese like spicy food? My girlfriend has had many Spanish students live with her over the years and they have all hated any kind of spicy food, even mildly spicy things. And they would never go near a curry or sausage meat, unless it was chorizo. So I was wondering if it was similar with the Portuguese as the two countries do share a similar love for sea food.

Tiago
14th November 2007, 15:49
Tradicionaly our food is not spicy, but there are a lot o f people that put some spicy condiments in food, but is just to give a bit of flavour not to be spicy.

But if you want spicy... we lurn learn some technics when we where at war in Africa in Mocambique...the locals had a special spicy condiment.
That do it with pepper (the red one), vinager, olive oil, and one white drink similar to vodka, but stronger.... they do it in a bottle and then they lay it down in the sun, for some hours.... the result is like Napal in your mouth... i only try it once... just a small drop, and i cry like a baby for 20 minutes... people from mocambique and Angola eat that think a lot... they say it is good for sexual performance.

Teho
14th November 2007, 16:16
If by cook you mean 'pour contents of bag in kettle and add water' then yes, I'm good at it.

Seriously, I can and usually do make decent basic meals as in boiling potatoes and vegetables, mix up a sauce and fry something to go with it. But hardly ever do anything fancy.

Buleste
14th November 2007, 16:21
When it comes to frying i'm the master of bcb's (Burnt Crispy Bits) (the best bits) but when i want to i can do a proper roast dinner and basic stuff.

J T
14th November 2007, 17:01
I'm afraid my cooking skills are limited to making fried eggs, omelettes, simple fried noodle/rice dishes and pasta bolognese (obviously, with ready-made sauce!). Oh, I'm not so bad at chicken/curry rice either.

I wish I were better at cooking though, since it's quite fun. The problem is that I'm usually rather chaotic by nature, and when you have food sizzling in 2-3 frying pans at the same time, being chaotic is kind of a BAD thing.

I seem to have already posted in this topic, under a different user name.

My wife is a good cook, and I'm good at helping (chopping things up) and then eating it.

I saw mention of Sagres in Tiago's post..... I like the Sagres beer they sell in Nando's (lovely peri-peri chicken from there) - is the beer named after there? Also, Super Bock beer is nice (again, found commonly in Nando's).

But if you want spicy... we lurn learn some technics when we where at war in Africa in Mocambique...the locals had a special spicy condiment.
That do it with pepper (the red one), vinager, olive oil, and one white drink similar to vodka, but stronger.... they do it in a bottle and then they lay it down in the sun, for some hours.... the result is like Napal in your mouth... i only try it once... just a small drop, and i cry like a baby for 20 minutes...

Sounds interesting, I may try this for a laugh. What's the drink they use? And any sort of vinegar will do?

people from mocambique and Angola eat that think a lot... they say it is good for sexual performance.

:eyebrow: Sounds....... interesting.

Sharingan
14th November 2007, 17:46
Seafood of course it must be in seaside. One of the best lobsters in the world is from
Sagres village in top south of Portugal in Algarve, in the most left part, the most far away point from UK... it's just superb !!!

Lobsters, eh? One of my favourite kinds of seafood. I always feel sorry for them when I see them being prepared, though. In some Chinese kitchens, they tend to throw lobsters into boiling water ... alive. That's just cruel.

In my own opinion, my list of 'favourite cuisine' in the world looks more like this (based on the foods I have tried so far):

1. Chinese (and I don't mean the rip-off Americanised chop suey crap, but authentic Cantonese cuisine)

2. Italian (more for the pasta than the pizza)

3. Thai (I'm a sucker for spicy food and curry)

4. Japanese (though, other than sushi, I don't see anything else especially special)

As for spicy, apparently, the Naga Jolokia (Ghost Chili) is the hottest pepper in existence. On the Scoville scale (a measure of hotness), Naga Jolokia is rated at 1.000.000 scovilles, while Habanero peppers are only 8.000, and pepper spray 2.000.000. Yum.

toomanymikes
14th November 2007, 19:36
Im quite a good cook and I will try anything that takes my fancy (were still talking about cooking). I tend to get ideas about food then go out and try it, sometimes it works and sometimes it dosent. For Halloween we had a few kids over dunking for apples (bobbing in england). I thought that they wouldnt really eat an apple but they would like some party food so I combined the two - I made an apple purre with cooking apples, cinnamon and honey and put it on some vanilla ice cream. When the kids managed to get an apple they got the sweet so everyone was happy!

Tiago
15th November 2007, 08:12
Sounds interesting, I may try this for a laugh. What's the drink they use? And any sort of vinegar will do?

Yes, it's just a litle bit. i dont remember well the proporsions they use.

I saw mention of Sagres in Tiago's post..... I like the Sagres beer they sell in Nando's (lovely peri-peri chicken from there) - is the beer named after there? Also, Super Bock beer is nice (again, found commonly in Nando's).

Sagres is first of all a village name, the name of the beer i don't know if was any connection but probably has.
Super Bock (beer) in my opinion is better then Sagres.

TiredOfLife
15th November 2007, 10:30
How sad is the is this latest attempt to attract the girlies to this site?
We may as well just post some adds on the lonely hearts pages or something.

What next?
Hair tips?
Makeovers?
How too keep your man happy in bed?

:thumbsdown2:

Submeg
15th November 2007, 10:36

What next?
Hair tips?
Makeovers?

Oh dear :unsure:

the result is like Napal in your mouth... i only try it once... and i cry like a baby for 20 minutes... people from mocambique and Angola eat that think a lot... they say it is good for sexual performance.

Man, no wonder it hurt....fitting anything THAT big in your mouth has got to hurt....but yea, ask my gf, she will give u a sure fire remedy....ZING! Score update: Submeg 1 : Noobs 0

btw I know u were saying Napalm :thumbs: all good.

Tiago
15th November 2007, 10:43

What next?
Hair tips?
Makeovers?

he he he
it all started with my post about girls in forum, but i was just sugesting the idea of search for girls in other foruns and invite them....
then Sharingan started this food thing.... he he he :lol::lol::lol:

Makeovers? I don't know... anyone here does such a thing? :lol:
he he he, the expression metrosexual is getting popular, men start to care more about how they look, so ... :lol::lol::lol:

Submeg
15th November 2007, 10:47
Yea and then they either:
a) get called a fag/poof/fairy for wearing a pink t-shirt
b) get punched for wearing a pink t-shirt
c) become a transexual

All bad options in my view

Tiago
15th November 2007, 10:48
c) become a transexual

All bad options in my view

:lol::lol:

Sharingan
15th November 2007, 11:14
C'mon, in today's day and age it's no longer a strange thing for men to do such things as clean and cook!

Wait ... what AM I SAYING?!

*rinses mouth with sulphuric acid*

J T
15th November 2007, 12:04

Actually, pink is currently quite a trendy colour for guys right now. Worn with style (or humour/irony in some cases) it can be quite cool actually :smokin:

Harrison
15th November 2007, 12:06
Pink Shirts... Now there is something I've been trying to comprehend for a long time. Why do guys wear them? Obviously the one's you see mincing like a fairy answer it for you, but the rest? Girlfriend pressure? No common sense? No dress sense? No self respect? Or just easily drawn into the latest "you must wear this fabulous new colour, it's so now" crap"?

And why do middle aged men start wearing pink shirts to work?

Submeg
15th November 2007, 12:07
Sorry....u must be one of them! Let's get him!:thwack:

J T
15th November 2007, 12:12
No no no, you've got it all wrong - it depends on so many things: the age of the wearer, the shade of pink, the type of garment, the 'style' of the person, the other colours being worn etc etc.

I've got a sweater with bold brown and pink (horizontal) stripes - sounds ghastly but it's actually ****ing ace. Also one with alternating dark & light gray stripes, then just a single one of pink about 3/4 way down.

You just have to wear it with confidence and it looks sharp, nothing to be afraid of but it can look crap if ou do it wrong.

Harrison
15th November 2007, 12:31
Who are you trying to convince JT? Us or yourself! :hmmm:

Tiago
15th November 2007, 12:54

:lol::lol::lol: i can't stop :lol::lol::lol:

Harrison stop it, let JT wear that pink stuff!!

And by the way let Sharingan wear the wig he was talking about !

:lol::D:lol:

J T
15th November 2007, 14:18

You! I'm more than comfortable :p

I love my pink and brown striped sweater, plus it allows me to sometimes slip the old classic "pink or brown, that old dilemma" joke into conversation :evil:

Harrison
15th November 2007, 14:26
Is it one of those retro sweaters without the arms? ;)

J T
15th November 2007, 15:23
A tank top? No way, I don't like those at all.

TiredOfLife
15th November 2007, 15:28
A tank top? No way, I don't like those at all.

Yeah, like that could possibly make your top any worse than it already is.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Harrison
15th November 2007, 15:47
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

Tiago
15th November 2007, 15:59
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol::D:lol::D:p:p:p:p:p:lol:

Stephen Coates
15th November 2007, 16:14
Back on topic, I can cook. I can depend on exactly what though. I tend to end up haveing things slightly under/over cooked, as when i make stuff for myself, I don;t always put that much effort in and do it as quick as possible, but I always try and get it perfect when I cook for other people.

As for pink shirts, well, i don;t think there's anything wrong with men wearing them, but I wouldn't wear one.

TiredOfLife
15th November 2007, 16:47
As for pink shirts, well, i don;t think there's anything wrong with men wearing them, but I wouldn't wear one.

Why not if you don't think there is anything wrong?

Stephen Coates
15th November 2007, 16:51
Because I don't think I would look good in one

Tiago
15th November 2007, 16:55

Why not if you don't think there is anything wrong?

He he he
And it keeps going.... the pink stuff ... :lol::lol::lol:

J T
15th November 2007, 16:55
My awesome top with the pink stripe would suit anyone as long as they have the guts to wear it :evil:

TiredOfLife
15th November 2007, 16:58
I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I don't feel the need to prove it by wearing anything so outrageous.
;)

Tiago
15th November 2007, 17:03
JT, so you wear any other pink stuff to combine with your sweat ? like... pink socks? or pink pants? :lol::lol: sorry, just kidding .... ;) :D

So funny this pink stuff... i have to confess that last wedding i went i was that close of going with a pink tie .... he he he:D but i didn't...
My girlfriend had some pinks in her dress so i was supposed to go with pink to, but in the end i didnt

Harrison
15th November 2007, 17:08
I now have visions of JT in a complete "tasteful" Golf outfit. Pink Stripped sweater, pink check trousers, white shoes with pink trimming and a light pink knitted flat cap!

Stephen Coates
15th November 2007, 19:48
I don't suppose there is going to be any ClassicAmiga.com branded clothing is there? If so, we could make a pink ClassicAmiga T-Shirt and get JT to model it for the site.

Maybe some ClassicAmiga clothes would also attract some girls to the site (who could also model the female amiga clothes for the site).

Submeg
15th November 2007, 20:42
Maybe some ClassicAmiga clothes would also attract some girls to the site (who could also model the female amiga clothes for the site).

Or lack thereof. :evil:

v85rawdeal
15th November 2007, 20:53
I can just imagine some of the T-Shirt slogans...

Wanna twiddle my joystick?

How big is your floppy?

My other computer is a PC!

1gb of memory? HAH! Who needs it...

Clan Classicamiga... Our processors may be slow... but we can run real fast!

toomanymikes
15th November 2007, 21:01
I leave for one night and when i return your all back onto women (or not as the case may be)! JT - i think you should post a pic of said top onto the site and we can have a vote!

TiredOfLife
15th November 2007, 23:26
Top idea.
Come on JT, don't be shy.
You were raving about it early on.

Stephen Coates
16th November 2007, 08:01
I agree. Lets see a picture.

I bet you would get some funny looks wearing the 'wanna twiddle my joystick' tshirt. Not sure about the slow processors one though, as I wouldn't class 68ks as being slow and you must have a lot of programmes running to need 1GB of memory (except maybe if you were running Windows Vista)

J T
16th November 2007, 08:55
OK I'll have to get some pics and post them up when I get a chance. I have a pink tie also, but no socks/pants/trousers in pink.

I'm not saying it's my favourite colour - but all you guys are sounding like we did in school "Oh noes! Teh pink! I musn't touch it or I might turn ghey" :p

Maybe you all ought to try the 'dark' side (or more accurate, nattily light iin colour and tone :shades: )

Submeg
16th November 2007, 11:24
I'm not saying it's my favourite colour - but all you guys are sounding like we did in school "Oh noes! Teh pink! I musn't touch it or I might turn ghey" :p

Maybe you all ought to try the 'dark' side (or more accurate, nattily light iin colour and tone :shades: )

Oh no, it's too late. Guys: have a beer for the loss of JT. He was a great man. God bless his soul. Ladies: Enjoy pink, smell flowers and get your b!tch ass back in the kicthen and bake me some pie!