PDA

View Full Version : Card 4MB from ebay

Tiago
14th November 2007, 08:43
I received a 4MB Memory card from ebay. :)

As you can see in pictures the memory after loading workbench is 3.9 MB, is this the way it should be? I dindt have time yet to test it.
If i run some normal software from WB will it consume the "other mem" or the primary mem?

I am waiting now for one 8Mb Ram, and this one it will be for CA Member Jorge
i am also waiting for the IDE interface to put after a cd-rom then i will have OS3.9 or AmigaSYS3 AGA.

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0255980901/commodore_amiga/images/card4mb/powercomp-4mb-ram-3.jpg
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0255980901/commodore_amiga/images/card4mb/powercomp-4mb-ram-4.jpg
http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0255980901/commodore_amiga/images/card4mb/powercomp-4mb-ram-5.jpg

Buleste
14th November 2007, 09:03
Thats fine as it shows that your new memory is already being used by workbench and has freed up some of your chip memory.

AlexJ
14th November 2007, 12:12
The 4MB/3.9MB is down to the memory manufactur using 1MB=1000KB rather than the correct 1MB=1024KB.

4 000KB / 1 024KB = 3.90625MB

TiredOfLife
14th November 2007, 12:14
There are programs on Aminet, that ensure chip memory is only used when absolutely neccessary.
Tlsfmem or most likely now called Memtlsf, is new but supposed to be a very good program for managing memory.
I use MemOptomiser.

The 4MB/3.9MB is down to the memory manufactur using 1MB=1000KB rather than the correct 1MB=1024KB.

Maybe not.
Icons on screen use memory as do mounting more partions.
Any programs already loaded obviously do.
I see he has EasyADF running.
Could be others as well.

Tiago
14th November 2007, 12:32

Yes Alexj, that's it :thumbs: thanks:thumbs:

TiredOfLife
14th November 2007, 12:47
Use SysInfo.
That will tell exactly what is on the card.

Tiago
14th November 2007, 12:50
Use SysInfo.
That will tell exactly what is on the card.

In CLi?
Ok i will try that when i get home.

Harrison
14th November 2007, 14:01
Seems fine to me too. You will never see 100% free memory for either chip or fast ram as the system will be using some just by running.

Here is a quick explanation of the difference between chip and fast ram. Most people think the chip ram is mainly for graphics related tasks, but this isn't quite right. It is called chip ram because this area of ram is dedicated for use by the Amiga custom chipset. So chip ram is used by all of the custom chips in the Amiga for graphics, IO and audio data. And if an Amiga only has chip ram then this ram also gets used for everything else ram related such as the ram disk, and programs loaded into ram.

But, then some fast ram is also added to an Amiga, things such as programs and the ram disk are loaded into fast ram, and the chip ram is then left exclusively for the chipset to use. This is the main reason that just added some fast ram speeds up an Amiga so much.

Also as you run programs some of the ram gets eaten up and locked until a system reboot so don't be surprised if after you quit an application all of the ram doesn't free up. This issue can be helped greatly by enabling a secret developers Workbench menu. If you want to do this edit your startup-sequence and find the line "LOADWB" and change it to "LOADWB -DEBUG". Then after rebooting you will find you have an extra menu in Workbench. Don't use the ROMWack item as this is for modem based development use, but the second option, Flushlibs, will flush out any unused system libraries from memory and free up and ram the programs were using. This is a very useful thing to enable and use in Workbench.

TiredOfLife
14th November 2007, 14:13
SysInfo can found on Aminet.
FlushLibs can also be done on the Cli.
Memoptimiser should help with some of the memory issues Harrison was talking about.
The other program I mentioned is supposed to be particuarly good but is still in the early stage of development I suspect.
It has received a lot of credit from other programmers though.