PDA

View Full Version : Opera for 8 bit computers

Stephen Coates
12th November 2007, 17:46
Has anyone seen the Nostalgia mode in Opera 9?

I was looking through some of the menus in Opera just now and saw a 'Nostalgie button so pressed it and...

Opera for 8 bit Computers (http://www.emaculation.com/steve/opera8.jpg)

Would I be right in thinking that that screen looks very Commodore 64 like?

It even puts a READY message at the bottom :)

If you hadn't seent his, go into the 'View' Menu, then go to 'Style', and click on 'Nostalgia'.

Harrison
12th November 2007, 17:49
That's cool. I've not discovered that myself. Will have to take a look.

And yes, it is just like a C64. :)

Stephen Coates
12th November 2007, 18:08
Opera have a page about all the different modes here: http://www.opera.com/support/usingopera/stylesheets/

J T
12th November 2007, 18:09
Aw, man, I was expecting a verson of it actually made to run on 8-bit machines so I could be all like "zOMGWTFBBQLOLZ"

Alas. But it's a nice touch anyway - things like that really should be encouraged. Not that I have ever used Opera, and probably won't ever but that's not the point.

Nice find, Steve.

Demon Cleaner
12th November 2007, 20:18
Looks indeed very nice :)

Harrison
12th November 2007, 23:27
Aw, man, I was expecting a verson of it actually made to run on 8-bit machines so I could be all like "zOMGWTFBBQLOLZ"

You know, that is exactly what I though when I originally clicked on the thread too. Having Opera actually working on an 8-bit computer would be quite mad, and I would imagine very slow!

StuKeith
13th November 2007, 11:27

Alas. But it's a nice touch anyway - things like that really should be encouraged. Not that I have ever used Opera, and probably won't ever but that's not the point.

Nice find, Steve.

Not a Wii owner then?

Stephen Coates
13th November 2007, 11:44
I thought the topic might confuse some people.

Harrison
13th November 2007, 11:52
Aw, man, I was expecting a verson of it actually made to run on 8-bit machines...

Not a Wii owner then?

I knew the Wii was underpowered, but 8-bit? ;) :p

J T
13th November 2007, 14:26
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Wii browser (which I do have, and have used around..... thrice?)

It even says in massive letters "powered by Opera", and on the Wii box too. For shame :whistle:

Harrison
13th November 2007, 15:12
The Opera browser is also available for the DS too.

J T
13th November 2007, 15:35
It needs the RAM expansion to work properly though, does it not?

Harrison
13th November 2007, 16:08
Yes, I think it comes bundled with some required hardware.

Teho
13th November 2007, 17:24
Opera Mini is also available for most mobiles, and is pretty good. Beats the built-in browsers of most mobiles easily. Just point your mobiles browser to operamini.com to try it out.

Harrison
13th November 2007, 17:26
Firefox are also currently working on a mobile version of their browser.