PDA

View Full Version : Ebay - Relock 1.41 ?!

Tiago
12th November 2007, 16:32
I only have Relokick 1.3.... but this is a relokick 1.4... anyone of you saw this in action? is it better then 1.3?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMIGA-1200-RELOKICK-V-1-41-EXTREMELY-RARE-VERSION_W0QQitemZ280172837612QQihZ018QQcategoryZ98930QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seller says:

What is the difference between the old version of Relokick 1.3 and this one?.
Well simply this. The Relokick 1.3 version did not have the ability to disable
CPU CACHES!!. The Relokick 1.3 was released only for the
Amiga 500/500+/600/1000/1500/2000/3000/4000. NOT FOR THE AMIGA 1200!!.

If you are running an Amiga 1200 with an accelerator or a ram
expansion you need this version if you want to run old games and programs 100%.

In the self booting floppy you get all these programs, which are menu driven.
This version works on all Amigas 100%.
Relokick v1.41
Degrader
Fakemem
Embedder
Kickswitch
Slayer
Bootblock Champ 3 (Disable Cpu cache bootblock on disk)
Xcopypro
Txed ( super binary text editor )
Powerpacker ( file compressor )

Harrison
12th November 2007, 16:46
All of the downgrading tools listed in this item are free and can be found on Aminet or other similar Amiga resources. This seller is therefore selling public domain software for profit and should be warned by ebay.

Also the statement that Relokick 1.3 wasn't released for the A1200 is also complete rubbish. I've been using it with an A1200 since the A1200 came out and it works perfectly.

I also saw another Relokick 1.4 for sale on ebay last week, but that one had a box with two disks included. But I don't think it was real as the Relokick disk was never sold commercially. It was a free piece of software and was even given away on magazine cover disks at the time (it's where I originally got my copy).

Tiago
12th November 2007, 16:49
I also have Relokick 1.3 and works fine. But the 1.4 is it better?

Harrison
12th November 2007, 16:50
Originally the 1.3 referred to the kickstart 1.3 rom being used when you boot from the disk, but some updated versions of Relokick were created, with the last one being 1.4a I think.

Relokick 1.3 was actually made available on a CU Amiga cover disk with Commodore giving the magazine permission to do so (as the disk contains a kickstart 1.3 rom image).

The later 1.4a was released after this but I don't think it actually gives you anything more over the 1.3 version. I might be wrong. Does anyone know?

But one thing is for certain, that guy on ebay is selling free software, so don't get ripped off!

AlexJ
13th November 2007, 01:26
This seller is therefore selling public domain software for profit and should be warned by ebay.

I believe I'm right in saying that there's no problem with what he's doing from a legal perspective. Because it's public domain, the creator has given up the copyright on it which means "anyone may use or exploit the work, whether for commercial or non-commercial purposes". Morally wrong maybe, but legally no different from the tens of PD software libraries operating during the late 80's - early 90's.

Harrison
13th November 2007, 10:48
True is regard to PD libraries, but in this day of easy internet access to downloads I don't agree with people selling other people's work for profit when it is deemed as freeware.

Stephen Coates
13th November 2007, 10:51
It is only a low price though, so would be quite conveniant for those that don't want to download it and transfer it to a disk themselves.

Harrison
13th November 2007, 11:00
Makes me want to create my own downgrader collection and post it for free download on classicamiga. ;) I think when I get chance I will!

TiredOfLife
14th November 2007, 11:58
If anything, I would say 1.3 was written for A1200 users.
I have got 1.4 btw if you want me to send it to you.

Tiago
14th November 2007, 12:02
I have got 1.4 btw if you want me to send it to you.

Well, if it isn't better, there is no need for it....

Harrison
14th November 2007, 13:46

I agree. It first appeared soon after the A1200 appeared and is the easiest way to get many older games to work. But it does also get some very old OCS games working on an ECS A500+ or A600, so maybe the software started development for this reason first.

sarek2k
17th January 2008, 23:30
@Harrison i am sure i have v 1.4 of relokick i can see only 1 difference (been a while since i ran it on a real amiga) but i do remember if you pressed right button it would activate ntsc mode and you'd get a funky green workbench hand logo instead!

I'd never seen that version the entire 1st time i had a real Amiga (before getting one a 2nd time round!)

actually no i just checked my disks (real ones not adf) it says relokick 1.3 by Geesus!
i wouldn't have actually wrote that on the disk if wasn't good reason!

anyone else seen this version?

Demon Cleaner
18th January 2008, 13:39
Thanks Sarek. Harrison just posted it in the Relokick thread for d/l.

geesus
4th August 2008, 19:36
The 1.41 version i did (hacked!) allows you to toggle cpu caches on/off (press F1 key, disk changes color from green/blue), and also toggle between PAL/NTSC (F2 key). ESC does a hard reset.

Harrison
4th August 2008, 23:18
Thanks for the info geesus.

sarek2k
5th August 2008, 02:19
@Geesus ain't u glad stuff you make still survives via the net even if you've long ago lost it!

i was the same with a demo demons rage that i worked on with some nvx guys got it again and ain't gonna loose it this time :)

woody.cool
6th August 2008, 09:50
I have ReloKick 1.3 and a 1.4 version - the one thing I have noticed is that 1.4 is incredibly buggy in AmigaDOS - and crashes (guru meditation) when LoadWB is executed. The title bar of the AmigaDOS window reads Galahad! too.
The copyright notice on the AmigaDOS window is also wrong and references this Galahad fellow.

Is this a cracked copy? Or is this what ReloKick 1.4 should of been like?

Because of this, I use ReloKick 1.3.

Harrison
6th August 2008, 16:45
I've never used version 1.4. 1.3 worked perfectly so I've never had the need.

woody.cool
6th August 2008, 19:22
I've never used version 1.4. 1.3 worked perfectly so I've never had the need.

I just tried 1.4 for the sake of trying it!