PDA

View Full Version : A1200 Buffered Interfaces

StuKeith
11th November 2007, 10:16
What one do you use?

I'm looking at different versions, and am wondering if I should go for the cheaper versions and use the free version of IDEfix, (or obtain full) or go for the IDE-express adapter with the licenced version of IDEFix.

What dose the full version give over the the free?

Buleste
12th November 2007, 10:31
I use the FastATA markII by ELbox (Although back then it was called the PowerFlyer by Power Computers). It's a very good interface with good software although it does need you to be very precise when you install it. I don't know what other interfaces are like so I can't recommend it over anything else but i can say that it's good and works very fast (at least compared to the amiga interface) on an unexpanded 1200 and even faster depending on the processor.

Stephen Coates
12th November 2007, 11:01
I got one of these for my A1200 and it works perfectly: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=465&osCsid=285247e23b975ea7de617f09b0317095

I already had the IDE Fix '97 software and a serial number.

Tiago
13th November 2007, 10:51
I got one of these for my A1200 and it works perfectly: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=465&osCsid=285247e23b975ea7de617f09b0317095

I already had the IDE Fix '97 software and a serial number.

Hi guys,
i am waiting to receive a ide device buffered interface in witch i will plug my hd 2.5 and a cd-rom.

What is that IDE Fix '97 software stuff? Is it a driver?
Is it mandatory to use with the IDE interface?

Stephen Coates
13th November 2007, 12:07
I think it contains the software which you need for accessing the second IDE channel, as well as the CDROM drivers. It also has an Audio CD Player programme and a CD32 emulator.

That package might actually be called something else, and contains the IDE Fix 97 sofware, but, whatever it is called, I have the disk and serial number and it install the correct CDROM drivers.

Is it mandatory to use with the IDE interface?

The buffered IDE interface provides two IDE channels. If you want to use the second one, then yes, you must have additional software. You will also need additional drivers if you are connecting a CDROM drive, but it might be possible to get these on AmiNet.

EDIT:
I found the disk. It is called IDE-max '97.

The label says:

CD-ROM and EIDE Software for Amiga including CacheCDFS 3, ATAPI 2, PlayCD, CD32-Emulator.

StuKeith
13th November 2007, 15:35
I brought the express version with the idefix97 software for £35. so see what that's like.

How much of a difference in speed dose the interface make?

Once I have it, I will be doing a tutorial in modifying the case for cd-rom and fitting the adapter.

Stephen Coates
13th November 2007, 15:39
I know it is supposed to be faster. Can't remember how fast though.

AmigaKit's website says it speeds it up to 5.1MB/sec, but I don't know how fast it was originally.

Tiago
13th November 2007, 15:40
I brought the express version with the idefix97 software for £35. so see what that's like.

How much of a difference in speed dose the interface make?

Once I have it, I will be doing a tutorial in modifying the case for cd-rom and fitting the adapter.

That would be great ! :thumbs:

Harrison
13th November 2007, 16:10
Yep, all such tutorials will be great.

TiredOfLife
13th November 2007, 16:50
The increase in speed is dependent on the speed of your processor for the FastATA III.
I assume that is also the case for your device.