PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Flash

JLPedro
9th November 2007, 22:22
Just tried to install a 256 mb Lifetech with a compaq flash adapter and i dont know how to format it. Does it apears an incon on desktop? or the drive unformated is just visible under hd formating tools?

Teho
9th November 2007, 22:41
I'd say it should appear on your desktop, if only as a ??? volume. But it may be that you only see it with the hd tools as it is. Have you tried that? Maybe just try a format DH0: from the CLI and see what happens? Could try info from CLI and see if it shows up there.

Harrison
10th November 2007, 00:50
Only other thing I can think, is that if it is acting like a real HD then it will definitely need to be partitioned first before the Amiga will even see it. So try an HD partitioning program and see if that works.

Stephen Coates
10th November 2007, 11:31
Whereabouts is the compact flash adaptor plugged intp?

JLPedro
10th November 2007, 15:31
it's plugged into the 44 pin ide of the A1200.

JLPedro
11th November 2007, 17:39
Done it! managed to partition it with hdtoolbox, after that WB reconised it like a real hd and the light blinks like the real one!
Thanks for the help.

Zetr0
22nd January 2008, 22:22
@JLPedro

ahhh Compact Flash drives for the Amiga, nothing so rightious!! glad you get her up and running with it...

over on the EAB there is a very long thread about compatibility and noted errors.

one that surfaces quite often is false read errors and checksum errors,

if you get these, then there is a cure.

In the Hard disk Info in HDTOOLS is a setting known as MAXTRANSFERS this is not an idicator of speed, its size of the blocks to transfer.

you would need to set this to 0x1fe0000 :D that should clear up any incompatibility.

Harrison
22nd January 2008, 22:51
Thanks for that info Zetr0. I've been considering adding a compact flash drive to my A1200 and that will be useful to know. :)

JLPedro
22nd January 2008, 22:55
At this moment i have replaced the cf adapter for a real 2,5' hd (a hitachi 6GB 5400rpm), with i most say is mutch better, and i'm using os 3.5 so i have acess to the hole 6GB.

sarek2k
24th January 2008, 01:27
@Harrison

Here's a quick picture i did regarding the installation of a compact flash adapter via pcmcia (not tried the 44pin method yet) but this is great for a second drive or maybe even boot into workbench via a floppy / rad disk etc.

I can't remeber all the in's an out's of it all but if anyone wants to go this way i'm sure my good friend Zetro will assist.

Also note : The picture is styled upon Zetro's own A600 mod (if only a tiny part compared to his super mod)

CF Adaptor £2.99 @ scan computers/bolton (and that was over a year ago)
CF Card less than £10 "" (Validated working over at EAB before purchase)

Zetr0
24th January 2008, 07:05
@Sarek

I appreciate the Kudos my friend :D, buf fair is fair, as we work together :)

I have to admit the pcmcia hard disk method certainly is a good option compaired to a network. (as that can be an absolute biatch to setup fully with SAMBA)

there has been some development with a friend of mine on how to get the Amiga to boot from a floppy initially and then to continue booting from the PCMCIA card.

Also i have been looking into remus and some of the work done by doobieray to see if one could get to boot from a pcmcia card, ROM hacking is a wholesome sport ;)