PDA

View Full Version : How to: PSP upgrade to 3.02 OE-B custom firmware

Oz2
8th January 2007, 09:44
First of all to be able to flash your PSP with Dark Alex's new custom firmware you need one of the following:

- a PSP with firmware 1.5
- a PSP with Dark Alex's custom firmware 2.71 SE
if you have none of these read no further and use our guide to downgrade your PSP to 1.50

Key Features of the 3.02 OE-B firmware:

- Play Playsation (PSX) Games on your PSP!
- Play ISOs straight from your memorystick, no need for Devhook nor any other software
- includes 3.02 kernel as well as 1.50 kernel which means Homebrew for both firmware versions is supported
- Recovery Menu for easy fallback to 1.50 as well as a lot of tweaking possiblities

How to flash your PSP to 3.02 OE-B:

First of all let's gather evrything you need for this

- Dark Alex's firmware upgrade 3.02 OE-A (http://dl.qj.net/3.02-OE-A-by-Dark_AleX-Hacks-Exploits-PSP/pg/12/fid/11867/catid/114)
- Dark Alex's firmware upgrade 3.02 OE-B (http://dl.qj.net/3.02-OE-B-by-Dark_AleX-Hacks-Exploits-PSP/pg/12/fid/11922/catid/114)
- Eboot of the original firmware version 1.50 (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/4)
- Eboot of the original firmware version 3.02 (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/937)

(these are the files i used and it worked just fine :thumbs: )

Now here is what you do:

- connect your PSP to your USB
- unpack the package with the files of Dark Alex's 3.02 OE-A firmware
- unpack both original update EBOOTs (1.50 and 3.02) and rename them like this:
the 1.50 "EBOOT.PBP" -> "150.PBP"
the 3.02 "EBOOT.PBP" -> "302.PBP"
- copy the folders "oeupmaker" and "oeupmaker%" to your GAME folder on your PSP.
(Note: if you are using a PSP with firmware 2.71 SE copy both folders to your GAME150 folder instead!)
- copy both files (150.PBP and 302.PBP) to the "oeupmaker" folder on your PSP.
- disconnect PSP from USB
- start OEUPMAKER ON your PSP from the Game Menu
(Note: this program does nothing to your flash, it only creates a DATA.DXAR file which is needed for the update and includes both firmware's kernels)

OEUPMAKER will run a test when it has finished creating the DATA.DXAR file. If the check is ok you are clear to proceed to the next step

- reconnect your PSP to the USB
- copy the "302oeflasher" and "302oeflasher%" folders to your GAME folder on your PSP.
(Note: again, if you use a 2.71 SE firmware PSP copy those to your GAME150 folder)
- move the DATA.DXAR file from the "OEUPMAKER" folder on the PSP to the "302OEFLASHER" folder on your PSP.
- disconnect PSP from USB
- launch 302OEFLASHER from your game menu
(this will launch the flash-update!!! note that this procedure could brick your PSP!!! we don't take responsibility for any problems that could occur during this procedure. Proceed on your own risk!)
- wait for the upgrade to finish. it will tell you to reboot your PSP manually. reboot manually now :smartass:

Your PSP should now have firmware version 3.02 OE-A

Now, we wanted to flash to 3.02 OE-B didn't we?

Here is what you you do:

- unzip the 3.02 OE-B archive
- create a "GAME150" folder in the "PSP" folder on your PSP. (not needed for those of you who had 2.71 SE)
- copy the "OEB_UPDATE" folder from the archive to your GAME150 folder
- disconnect your PSP from USB
- launch OEB-UPDATE from your Game Menu
(this update will only take seconds and will reboot your PSP automatically)

Done! You should now have a PSP with Firmware 3.02 OE-B.

Harrison
8th January 2007, 14:44
Thanks for the guide Oz. I've still got my PSP installed with 2.71 and the Epsilon BIOS, but am going to be upgrading soon to this custom firmware so I can play PSX games and newer PSP games that require newer firmare versions.

It is a bit annoying that this firmware is now available as it can do the same as a UP chipped PSP, but without needing the modchip or hardware modding.

I may wait for the 3.03 version to be released before I upgrade though as it has some new additional features over the current OE-B release.

Demon Cleaner
8th January 2007, 15:19
I think 3.03 is already released.

Changes from 3.02 OE-B to 3.03 OE-A:

* Change from firmware 3.02 to 3.03
* Added support for compression in psx isos (look at popstation documentation for more details).
* Added support for decrypted document.dat (psx games manual) (look at docmaker documentation for more details).
* Fixed a bug regarding free region: a stupid bug caused it not to work at all. Now it should work, although it has not been tested due to lack of umd’s of different regions between the testers and me.
* Some generic bug fixes in the code.
* Re-added the sdk.
* Fixed some bugs that could cause the brick of korean/chinese/taiwan/singapure psp when restoring default settings. To prevent this, the region of those psp’s are faked to japanese when fake region is disabled. For same reason, korean region is removed from fake region.
* Added australia/new zeland and russia to the regions to be faked.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

The installation is similar to 3.02 OE-A:

1. Copy oeupdatemaker and oeupdatemaker% to /PSP/GAME if you are in firmware 1.50, or to /PSP/GAME150 if you are in 2.71 SE or 3.02 OE.
2. Get the 1.50 and 3.03 sony updates, and put them in the oeupdatemaker folder with the names 150.PBP and 303.PBP.
3. Run oeupdatemaker. It will generate the dxar file DATA.DXAR, whhich has the following hashes:
MD5: 03186D46D2F1B0ACD923098BEBC87281
SHA1: 3C80833A970EEA16A94D74DAFF6220889A9CEE4A
4. Copy 303oeflasher and 303oeflasher% to /PSP/GAME if you are in 1.50, or to /PSP/GAME150 if you are in 2.71 SE or 3.02 OE.
5. Move the DATA.DXAR file to the 303oeflasher.
6. Run the program. When it finishes, it will ask you to reinit the psp. When you do that, you will be in 3.03 OE-A.

Harrison
8th January 2007, 15:34
That's good if it has been released. On the PSP forums yesterday it wasn't out yet.

Oz2
9th January 2007, 09:48
Yes, it is out. I'm gonna test the upgrade for 3.03 OE-A next. All the newest files for PSP can be found on dl.qj.net (http://dl.qj.net/PSP/catid/106)

Harrison
9th January 2007, 11:22
Cool, thanks. :)

Let me know how the 3.03 OE-A upgrade goes. I take it you can upgrade from 3.02 to 3.03?

Harrison
13th January 2007, 02:34
Well, 3.03 OE-B is already out. Have you upgraded to that one yet Oz? Quite cool that with the most recent versions of the custom firmware you can now also rip your own PSX games and convert them to run on the PSP. Much nicer than having to wait until Sony release them via the PS3 network. :)

I've also just been reading a lot of warning about people bricking their PSPs whilst upgrading to the custom firmwares, and the reason is the memory stick being used. Most people are recommending formatting the memory stick between each firmware update to help prevent these problems from happening.

I've also been trying to find out how the best way to upgrade a UP chipped PSP to 3.03 OE-B is. I've discovered from many people posting that installed the custom firmware on the UP bios conflicts with the PSX emulator and it won't work. So the custom firmware needs to be on the PSP's own nand instead of the UP's.

I've been told that I can just run the custom upgrader from the Epsilon setup and it will upgrade it perfectly fine as the Epsilon bios is able to run the unsigned 1.5 code anyway, so no need for downgrading to 1.5 first. But I'm also assuming this installs the new custom firmware on the UP nand and not the PSP one, which is what I need to run PSX games. hmm...

At present I don't fully have information on how best I should upgrade my UP chipped PSP. Do you know of any info or links to help me with this?

Currently I'm thinking upgrade the UP nand to 3.03 OE-B and get that working. Then once that is done I should be able to use the left shoulder button method to boot the PSP into it's own nand and then be able to downgrade it to 1.5 and then up to 3.03. But this is all just a guess and I need actual information before I'm going to attempt this.

cicobuff
14th January 2007, 19:52
Currently I'm thinking upgrade the UP nand to 3.03 OE-B and get that working. Then once that is done I should be able to use the left shoulder button method to boot the PSP into it's own nand and then be able to downgrade it to 1.5 and then up to 3.03. But this is all just a guess and I need actual information before I'm going to attempt this.

I just used the tutorial at http://dl.qj.net/3.02-OE-A-by-Dark_AleX-PSP/pg/12/fid/11867/catid/114 (But using 3.03 instead of 3.02)

I upgraded from 2.71 SE-B' directly, by putting the renamed EBOOT.PBP's for both 1.5 and 3.03 into the relevant directory, running the utility which combines the 1.5 and 3.03 special DXAR file, then run the other utility after putting that created DXAR file in the relevant directory for flashing your PSP firmware, did not have any problems at all in upgrading.

Then there is a simple download to take your PSP from 3.03A to 3.03 OE-A' (although now there is OE-B released, yet to do that yet)

But the process was not too complicated or did I feel it anymore risky than the previous Dark Alex 2.71 upgrade I did.....btw I actually did 2 PSP's mine and my wifes using the same memory card for flashing both with no problems at all.

Great seeing Silent Hill running on the PSP....was dissapointed I couldnt get old skool classic Little Big Adventure running on it though (graphics corrupted).

Too much to do at the moment....Wii Playing, PSP hacking...geez no rest!....lol

Harrison
15th January 2007, 12:58
Yeah, I know the process is quite straight forward. My problem is that I have a chipped PSP with the Undiluted Platinum modchip in it. And if I just run the 3.03 OE-A upgrader it will work, but it will install it onto the modchips nand bios instead of the psp's internal nand bios.

This will run the firmware perfectly, but it has been found that running the custom firmware from the UP's bios will not allow PSX games to work, so the custom firmware needs to be on the built in psp nand bios.

I'm therefore holding off upgrading until I find an exact method for how to upgrade the internal bios for the system and not the UP's.

Harrison
26th January 2007, 01:39
I've now successfully upgraded to the new Dark_AleX 3.03 OE-C firmware using Oz's guide as a reference.

It is a full install so you have to build the files as originally, even if you have a previous 3.0X OE-X build installed.

For me I had to do a couple more steps as I have an Undiluted Platinum modchip in my PSP. I first placed an official Sony 2.5 firmware update eboot file on my memory stick, then used the Epsilon recovery menu's "upgrade firmware launcher" option to actually downgrade the PSP to 2.5. I then did the same to downgrade it further to 1.5. With each of these two steps I also connected the Undiluted Platinum's own USB connector to the PC and did a NAND dump to a flash file. So I now have flash files for 1.5, 2.5 and 2.71 firmware. And unlike using downgraders or updaters on the PSP, with a flash file you can just connect the UP USB to the PC and do a direct flash of the PSP or UP flash NAND memory to restore it to any state you like which is pretty cool. I'm also going to make one for 3.03 OE-C just in case I ever need to reflash it.

Anyway, once back to firmware 1.5, I then followed the instructions for the 3.03 OE-C file build and then flash and it worked perfectly and I'm now in 3.03 OE-C. :)

You got to love Dark_AleX, may his work continue for years to come.