PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with experience of SCUMMVM

Ghost
26th October 2007, 01:29
Hello all,

Are there any people on this board who have experience with SCUMMVM?

I am trying to install my old Lucasarts adventure games and I have been running into a problem when it was "The Secret of Monkey Island"'s turn. (I am using the White label CD version)
I have been visiting the SCUMMV and apparently more people ran into this problem, the problem apparently lies with the fact that thegame music are audio tracks, and the only way to convert them is to rip them to MP3 files, then insert them in the game.

They might as well speak Chinese as I have no idea how to rip the tracks, even after I found them.
Can anyone of you help me.

Much appreciated.

Harrison
26th October 2007, 01:47
Just rip them from the CD as you would for a normal music CD. I recommend the free program CDex, which you can download from http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=download

Just load up the program, then put the MI CD in your CD drive and convert the tracks on the CD into MP3s. Then you can use them in SCUMM. If you want good quality files I recommend you go into the settings and change the compression from the 128Kbps standard up to at least 196Kbps or higher. Use 320Kbps for the best quality, although the files will be bigger.

Ghost
26th October 2007, 02:15
Hello Harrison,

Damn this is confusing.

I have been doing as you said but I think I must have made a mistake as the files are Wave instead.
I have been going through that menu on the program but it doesn't mention anywhere how to convert to MP3.

Guess I will have to read the manual tomorrow.
It is late here now.

Harrison
26th October 2007, 03:00
First go to the Options menu and select Settings. Now go to the Encoder tab and change the Bitrate Min to 192 kbps or higher to get decent quality results.

Then you want to select the tracks listed on the CD that you wish to rip to mp3, and finally click on the second icon down the right hand side of the program screen, called "Extract CD track(s) to compressed audio file(s)". And that should start the process.

J T
26th October 2007, 19:52
I got a version of SCUMMVM working for DS, but the audio had to be ripped to a very specific format (and bitrate/sample rate) and be named properly to work.

Well worth persevering with though, so keep at it :thumbs:

Ghost
26th October 2007, 21:00
Hello all,

Well I succeeded to encode the music tracks to MP3 but now apparently I have to compile SCUMMVM with something called MAD in order for the music to be run by the program.

I am sick of it, I just wanted to run Monkey Island 1 again for nostalgia's sake, not this entire mess.
I'll run it under Dosbox when I am in the mood again.

Harrison
26th October 2007, 22:30
It is much easier to just download the SCUMMVM torrent from Pleasuredome. Then you have all the games the emulator supports and they all work perfectly without needed to do anything.

Ghost
26th October 2007, 22:47
Hello Harrison,

Then I am going to look into that.
I own most games legal but I find it annoying it is so difficult to make them run again.

Harrison
26th October 2007, 23:11
The other option, as you own the originals, is to use a virtual machine. Innotek VirtualBox is completely free and runs Windows 98 perfectly which is ideal for running old DOS and WIn 9x games.

StuKeith
27th October 2007, 09:06
Do PD delete inactive accounts? I havent used mine for a few months and cant seem to log in!

Tried requesting password, but none of my emails work! :no:

Harrison
27th October 2007, 13:10
I just looked in the PD FAQs for you and any account not active for about 6 months or more faces being purged. This includes all accounts, with a good seed ratio or not. Any inactive accounts face being wiped.

The best way to keep a PD account active is just to keep seeding and updating the MAME torrent. That way you should never get banned and you seed ratio will just continue to increase. Then when you want something from there you should have a great ratio to download what you want.

Demon Cleaner
29th October 2007, 05:47
I have now over 800GB upload at PD, and I only have a 512kb/s line. Been seeding for already a long time.

Harrison
29th October 2007, 10:20
Didn't they upgrade your line recently though?

Demon Cleaner
29th October 2007, 10:28
Didn't they upgrade your line recently though?:) That was the upgrade, I have now the biggest available line here in Luxembourg, isn't that sad?? And it's a b, no B.

Harrison
29th October 2007, 11:16
That is your upload speed though, right? If so that's pretty good. In the UK we only have 448kbps.

Demon Cleaner
29th October 2007, 13:56
Yep, that's the upload, and for d/l they said it would go up to 15.000kb/s. That should be in May this year, but the idiots now give only full ADSL1, and I only have (and pay) 7.500 instead of the 15.000 with ADSL2+.

I could easily downgrade and pay less, but then also my upload will be downgraded, and I don't want this to happen.

Harrison
29th October 2007, 14:35
That is annoying. But it is still much faster than you were getting before so it's still better.