PDA

View Full Version : My birthday stash!

Submeg
20th October 2007, 16:55
Twas pretty sweet, had the guys from uni over, was a great night! But most of all scored a PS3! Sweet!!!! lol but its the reduced version, so no PS2 compatibility! :( oh well at least I didnt have to buy it :)

v85rawdeal
20th October 2007, 17:06
That is one sweet score, welcome and enjoy the world of PS3!

Harrison
20th October 2007, 17:32
Very nice BD present. :) Enjoy, and Happy Birthday too!

Shame is was the cutdown PS3, but the only thing really missing is the PS2 support. You can easily upgrade the HD to a bigger one as and when you need, and could plug a USB2 hub in to gain more ports it needed, and a memory card reader to get that support back.

Teho
20th October 2007, 17:34
That's pretty cool, congrats! :)

About the lost compatibility, I wonder does that mean the PS1 compatibility is lost as well? Because you can buy and download several PS1 games from the store, and just having them available there and not being able to use them I guess would be kind of shoving it in your face, which would be a little stupid.

Harrison
20th October 2007, 17:48
on a related note, I was in Tesco the other day and noticed that had the 60GB PS3 for sale at only £30 more than other stores are selling the new cut down 40GB version. I assumed it was the older fully featured one due to it being 60GB. So at that price it's worth grabbing one if you see one. I'm tempted and might if I give in next time I'm shopping!

AlexJ
20th October 2007, 23:28
Teho: The new cut down PS3 still does PS1 games. They were 100% done in software. The PS2 games were mostly software emulated although did use a PS2 GPU chip inside the console.

Harrison
21st October 2007, 00:08
I thought that all European PS3s didn't have the PS2 GPU though (even the older version)? I read that was only the US/Jap versions and the EU version was completely emulation of PS2 in software.

Ghost
21st October 2007, 04:08
Hello all,

Sounds like you had a pretty cool birthday, mine is coming up next and though I have been offered a few surprises it mostly up to myself to make it a good experience.

I myself was also considering getting one of those new PS3s but the employee of the store where I asked about it discouraged me, bringing up the same subjects mentioned in this thread.

On the moment I still have my old PS2 and I wonder if it would be such a loss if I would get this model instead of a more expensive PS3 in time.

Well another deciding factor on the moment are the games available at the moment, to be honest I haven't seen any games yet I really must play.
I am interested in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and Resident Evil 5 but I would also like to play some original new games.

It would be great if a sequel to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross was released on the PS3, that would make it a must buy for me.

Harrison
21st October 2007, 04:17
I don't think there will be any further games in the Chrono series. The original creator said as much after finishing Chrono Cross. Although Hironobu Sakaguchi did remark that one of his most recent games, Blue Dragon on the Xbox 360, is an extension of Chrono Trigger, whatever that was meant to mean.

Ghost
21st October 2007, 05:41
I don't think there will be any further games in the Chrono series. The original creator said as much after finishing Chrono Cross. Although Hironobu Sakaguchi did remark that one of his most recent games, Blue Dragon on the Xbox 360, is an extension of Chrono Trigger, whatever that was meant to mean.

Well it is definitely not the same universe so I think he probably meant the spirit of the game.
Still it is a shame as I would have liked to see another sequel to Chrono.
There is a fan game in the works but of course that is never 'canon'.

Puni/Void
21st October 2007, 12:16
Happy birthday, Submeg! Congrats on the PS3! :)

Tiago
21st October 2007, 13:27
Happy Birthday !

Submeg
21st October 2007, 14:32
Cheers everyone! Oh I went and bought resistance: fall of man today! Woo!

v85rawdeal
21st October 2007, 15:45
Hope you find RFOM as enjoyable as the rest of us certainly seem to have.

The online mode is excellent, especially when doing a custom game consisting of 40 players running around with shotguns only. Now that is sick fun.

Sharingan
21st October 2007, 21:00
Happy birthday, and congrats :)

Seems like a lot of people are getting themselves PS3s since the price drop announcement. Over here, the 60GB models are quickly selling out.

Do share your PSN ID over at the Next-gen section ... maybe we could form a Classicamiga Shotgun Squad in Resistance some day and blow up some nubs together.

Submeg
21st October 2007, 22:58
Will do, I have to set the net up on my PS first

J T
22nd October 2007, 09:59
Happy Birthday, glad you are pleased with the PS3.

Submeg
22nd October 2007, 13:15
Damn straight, playing it on a 51 in. plasma with HDMI is how can you say....awe...I mean excellent!

Demon Cleaner
22nd October 2007, 20:40
Happy BD and congrats for the PS3, now we'll have a high skill gamer in our clan for R:FOM :lol:

Submeg
22nd October 2007, 23:04
Lol, I need to practise...Im only playing on easy atm...but really that is easy....you walk into the open and smack heads....I should prob play on normal....

The difference between HDMI and composite is amazing....so much more detail! I am impressed :)

Alright, internet set up....downloading latest version right now...how do u find the PSN ID?

Demon Cleaner
22nd October 2007, 23:52
how do u find the PSN ID?That is the name you enter for use at the PSN shop and for all online gaming. It's your nickname, not your account name, which you can always alter or create a second one. The name you use to login for PSN.

Ghost
23rd October 2007, 00:23
Hello Demon Cleaner,

Is it required that you connect the PS3 to the Internet, and how does that exactly go?

Demon Cleaner
23rd October 2007, 00:26
That goes pretty automatically in the network settings of the PS3, all you have to do is to connect it to a router. You can then chose if it sets the PS3 up automatically or you can do it manually like me, as I don't enable DHCP. Works pretty good.

Submeg
23rd October 2007, 09:54
So how do you login to the PSN shop?

Demon Cleaner
23rd October 2007, 14:20
If I'm right when clicking on the PSN Shop icon it connects automatically or it asks if you want to connect, as otherwise you cannot enter the shop. I set my PS3 up, that it immediately connects to the net, even when not using the shop, as you need it anyway when playing online.

Did you already make an account actually? Not that that's the problem.

Submeg
23rd October 2007, 14:28
Havent made an account yet, I have to update my version first

Demon Cleaner
23rd October 2007, 14:29
So that is the issue ;)

Submeg
23rd October 2007, 23:22
Cool cool, will do today!