PDA

View Full Version : Favorite joystick

Demon Cleaner
11th October 2007, 14:26
I just made a little poll where everyone can vote for his favorite joystick. If there are any not listed, please chose other and name it here. Multiple votes are allowed.

v85rawdeal
11th October 2007, 19:03
:huh2: I am dumb! :nuts:

I clicked on the wrong Zipstick... DUH!!!:owned:

J T
11th October 2007, 22:13
I did not know there were different types of Zipstik until Alex mentioned it in the other thread. It's no secret that I liked the Zipstik (super pro?)

http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/other/images/zipstick_super_pro.jpg

I used to use Sega pads on my Amiga quite a lot, they worked well. I also had a Cheetah 125 and hated it.

Harrison
12th October 2007, 20:28
I also liked the ZipStik (isn't that the correct spelling?). I don't remember it actually being called the Super Pro. I'm sure I have the original box somewhere so will have a look and see.

I did modify mine though. I always hated the suction cup feet and especially on this stick as it stuck to anything it got close too. So I trimmed the suction cups off so they ended up just been grippy rubber feet and I personally thing that worked much better.

Sharingan
13th October 2007, 07:13
As stated in the other thread, I preferred the Arcade Pro above all the other joysticks. I simply could never get used to the Competition Pro.

J T
13th October 2007, 10:49
I also liked the ZipStik (isn't that the correct spelling?). I don't remember it actually being called the Super Pro. I'm sure I have the original box somewhere so will have a look and see.

I did modify mine though. I always hated the suction cup feet and especially on this stick as it stuck to anything it got close too. So I trimmed the suction cups off so they ended up just been grippy rubber feet and I personally thing that worked much better.

I believe that it was Zipstik, yes, although adding the 'c' is commonplace. Annoyingly, my sister chewed the rubber suction cups at the bottom of our controllers, so they would no longer stick at all because they were no longer smooth :(

sarek2k
18th January 2008, 17:49
i didn't know of zipstick & zipstick super pro in the intrests of fairness i think they should be merged as one :sly:

and i also think this should be a multi choice (in fave order) or something cause i like at least 4 counting zipstick & super pro also comp pro (2nd) and cruiser 3rd or 4th i have 6 zipsticks now :ninja:

here's my joystick box :shades:

v85rawdeal
18th January 2008, 17:59
PINK!!!!

Buleste
18th January 2008, 18:08
Never show something pink to someone who lives in Portsmouth. Too many sailors there.;)

v85rawdeal
18th January 2008, 18:40
I could take you to see the golden rivet!

Zetr0
27th January 2008, 15:59
behold and bow before the one true god!

http://www.worldofatari.com/controller/controller_images/cx40_joystick.jpg

Graham Humphrey
27th January 2008, 16:52
Zipstick for me, I've got two of them and they're very comfortable and durable. I used to love the Bug but they do tend to break easily.

Quagmire
27th January 2008, 22:27
It's gotta be Pink and green Cruiser, what Class:unsure:

Harrison
28th January 2008, 13:35

I've still got a few of those Atari joysticks with my VCS2600. OK at the time, but far from very accurate in my view. Quite strong little sticks though.

Zetr0
28th January 2008, 15:55
@Harrison

I have to admit,

those sticks do require talent and skill to make it happen, it may be easier on a micro-switched stick, but.... well theres just something off-putting with all the clicking and creaking...

Dont get me wrong though... the next favourite for me would of been the Quick Shot 2 Turbo (red with the black hand grips LOL) awesome sticks but lasted a mere 4 months between my brothers and I abuse!

the Atari stick on the other hand.... i still have one from 1982/3 and it still works to this day!

and if i am having a game of sensi soccer, this is the joystick i use...

Harrison
28th January 2008, 16:04
They do seem to last forever. One of my Atari sticks was even chewed by my Jack Russell back in the day, but it still works even now! :lol:

sarek2k
8th February 2008, 03:56
I have to say (Zetro & Harrison) i never really played the Atari joystick that much as i never had an atari console and i certainly wouldn't use one on another machine as Zetro has pointed out the Atari wasn't microswitched like all the BEST sticks from later years!

Sure i've done my stint with leaf switch sticks such as the Cheetah / Quickshot etc i've also tried most of the variations of micro/skeleton switch joysticks such as cheetah 125+/mach 5 etc (memory going a bit here but sure the cheetah and quickshot pro turbo both had skeleton micro switches etc and wheren't to strong or reliable for it!)

I did play on atari joysticks in the beginning just i never owned the console and by the time speccy's / c64's where out was more choice in the joystick market. The comp pro was my fave speccy joystick ever as it was out before the zipstick or before i got one at any rate!

Whatever your preference joysticks was the golden age of gaming non of this 20 buttons shit just pure action in 2 buttons (for lefties or righties!)

when games where PROPER games.

two of the rarer sticks i have now the Cruiser Black (I had the pink handle yellow buttons and green case version originally) and also the arcade stick where two faves i tripped over in an old second hand shop ;)

roger
8th February 2008, 04:53
I'm just loving my X-Arcade Tankstick with the Trackball. Unfortunately, it's not on the list for the Poll. So I voted for X-Arcade Pro.

http://www.xgaming.com/img/tankstick_web/web_enlarged/tank_compare.jpg

Demon Cleaner
8th February 2008, 05:45
I'm just loving my X-Arcade Tankstick with the Trackball. Unfortunately, it's not on the list for the Poll. So I voted for X-Arcade Pro.I think you misunderstand, the joystick is called Arcade Pro, and not the X-Arcade controller is meant.

I also use an X-Arcade dual controller, but mainly for MAME, I use a Competition Pro USB for Amiga emulation.

Harrison
8th February 2008, 10:09
I hadn't seen the X-Arcade Tankstick before. Just the standard X-Arcade Dual (which I own), Solo and Arcade Trackball versions.

It's good that they finally created a combined one as this makes a more affordable alternative to the SlikStik control boards.

roger
8th February 2008, 23:32
I think you misunderstand, the joystick is called Arcade Pro, and not the X-Arcade controller is meant.

Oops :zipped:

Harrison
8th February 2008, 23:36
Easy mistake to make I suppose.

Made me wonder about something. Could an X-Arcade be made to work with a real Amiga? After all you can get adaptors to use it with consoles (PS2, Xbox...) so I would have though it was possible to create an Atari port adaptor for it. Anyone any idea? Zetr0?

TiredOfLife
10th February 2008, 03:24

They were ok when they 1st brought out but no match for microswitch joysticks.

Think they gained more in popularity because of the urban myth put about by certaing journalists in comp mags.
The one about real gamers using them.

A mate of mine bought into unsubstantiated story and used one in a game of Sensible Soccer.

Soon switched back to a Comp pro when he started getting a hammering.

roger
11th February 2008, 21:21
Made me wonder about something. Could an X-Arcade be made to work with a real Amiga? After all you can get adaptors to use it with consoles (PS2, Xbox...) so I would have though it was possible to create an Atari port adaptor for it. Anyone any idea? Zetr0?

Although the X-Arcade has a DB-9 connector, it is a PS/2 format. All you would need is something that converts the keystrokes from PS/2 format into 12 different switch signals (6 per joystick (4 directions, 2 buttons). A microcontroller such as the MSP430 from Texas Instruments could easily be programmed to do that. The pinout of the X-Arcade DB-9 is here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=61615.0;attach=66900

The other possibility would be to wire the micro switches in the X-Arcade directly to a DB-9 connector for the Amiga, like so:
http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pinconjoy_amiga_mouse_joy
The switches in the Amiga Joystick make a connection to GND (pin 8). The switches in the X-Arcade also make a connection to GND. So no problems there. When connecting the X-Arcade this way, the +5V supply to the X-Arcade is not even required.

A third possibility would be to take a closer look at the other platforms for which there already are X-Arcade adapters available. Perhaps the joysticks for one of those work similarly to the Amiga/Atari (switches making connections to GND). If so, all that would be needed is an adapter cable.

my_lo
21st June 2008, 18:10
I always had a competition pro red and black, that thing was so solid, it resisted "magic pockets" and the nervous crisis when i was throwing it... So my choice goes to this one. But i must admit that the x-arcade solo always tempted me, maybe that i could hint my wife :ninja: