PDA

View Full Version : Movies Downloading streaming videos

Harrison
5th October 2007, 11:46
For those of you wishing to download content from streaming video sites such as Youtube and Yahoo there is now a very easy way, and I thought I would quickly mention it in case some of you didn't know.

Download and install the newest version of RealPlayer.

Once this is installed, when you are watching any streaming video clips a "download this video" link will appear above the video when you hover the mouse over the video. Just click on this and RealPlayer will download the video for you in FLV format (Flash Video) using its built in RealPlayer Download and Recording Manager. You can then access and play all your downloaded videos from within the RealPlayer Library.

Very useful feature to have available. :)

Submeg
5th October 2007, 14:01
nice nice, no longer need youtubex

AlexJ
5th October 2007, 14:07
It does mean having the nasty RealPlayer software on your PC though. There's a script for the GreaseMonkey ffx extension that does the same job.

Harrison
5th October 2007, 15:08
RealPlayer used to be a horrible media player, but the latest version is actually pretty good and has come a long way. It still tried to force itself to boot up every time with the system but you can now easily turn this off in the preferences, as well as it only checking for software updates when the player is actually running. It does however still try to add an entry into the startup part of the registry without asking, which is a bit naughty, but my virus checker warns me of such actions so I just set it to block the attempts.

I also have to have it installed to gain full functionality from a number of applications I use, or I lose part of the features they have. Premiere and Cleaner XL especially.

Bloodwych
5th October 2007, 20:47
Good advice letting people know about such options - can't believe how many people think you can't download youtube clips.

I use Firefox and the addon "DownloadHelper" - it places an icon on your browser which, once clicked, provides options to download any video currently playing. I just can't do without Firefox addons, there are far too many useful ones.

I also use the freeware player "VideoLAN" that connects to live streams and records the output, similar to realplayer by the sounds of it, but without the naughtiness. "URLsnooper" allows you to find hidden links to video streams, comes in useful from time to time.

There are even free utilities that allow you to draw a box on your monitor with the mouse pointer and record the contents, or simply record the entire display to xvid and mp3. Best if you have a dual core CPU for that mind you, it's quite demanding in real time!

Harrison
5th October 2007, 20:57
I've been using the commercial utility Snagit for that for some years now and it has worked well, working in a similar way to you describe by drawing a box around the area to be captured. Very useful for creating teaching tutorials.

You are right about Firefox extensions. Loads of useful ones about. I started a thread recently listing many that I use here. (http://forum.classicamiga.com/showthread.php?t=547)

Bloodwych
5th October 2007, 21:05
That thread is really useful - some extensions I've never heard of in there. I'll have to have a sift through.

Submeg
5th October 2007, 23:08
RealPlayer used to be a horrible media player, but the latest version is actually pretty good and has come a long way. It still tried to force itself to boot up every time with the system but you can now easily turn this off in the preferences, as well as it only checking for software updates when the player is actually running. It does however still try to add an entry into the startup part of the registry without asking, which is a bit naughty, but my virus checker warns me of such actions so I just set it to block the attempts.

Hmm....thanks no thanks, sounds like a semi virus :p

Harrison
6th October 2007, 00:02
It's nothing many other applications also do! Many try to add a startup entry into the registry after installation so they load at startup, use up memory and make the number of icons in the system tray larger.

RealPlayer is a pretty good media player these days with a built in media library.