PDA

View Full Version : Won this and worried about bank transfer

StuKeith
30th September 2007, 23:08
I have won this on ebay and am now a bit worried

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110173411946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001

I didnt notice that he wants payment via bank transfer. I dont feel safe sending almost £50 and have no way of getting it back if I dont see the goods.

What do you guys think? :huh:

Sharingan
1st October 2007, 07:30
That particular seller has a 100% positive feedback (out of 62 people who rated him), so it would appear he doesn't just grab people's money and run away without sending the goods - otherwise someone would definitely have snuck in a negative feedback in there. Only German people appear to have traded with him so far, though, so I wouldn't know how he handles foreign transactions.

In the end, with online trades like this, you'll always be running a slight risk, no matter how someone is rated - in other words, no guarantees, unless you're willing to drive all the way to Germany and make a one-on-one swap in person!

Why don't you contact your bank and ask about whether reclaiming money is possible? I heard some banks allow transfers to be reversed should there be a valid reason to do so.

Stephen Coates
1st October 2007, 08:43
Well, he has a good feedback rating, and as far as I have noticed, alot of germans tend to like bank transfer. I wouldn;t worry about it, although you should speak to the bank if not sure.

Tiago
1st October 2007, 10:01
I never used bank transfer in ebay, i try to use only paypal.
Seller looks honest. IT's always a litle risk in ebay...
But io dont think you'll get any problems

TiredOfLife
1st October 2007, 13:13
As Steve says, it's common for Germans to ask for bank transfer.
Never used it myself.
I have registered a few bits of software with German authors, but I have sent money through the post instead.
It was for small amounts so I just took a chance.
Always try to use PayPal where possible.

StuKeith
1st October 2007, 15:17
Emailed seller and he takes paypal. just added an extra 2 euros to cover fees. :dry: least should be covered by ebay protection now if it dont arrive.

But £40 for the board im well chuffed. the only thing is, on ebay theres a 1230-III for £50 in my area so I can collect! DOH! :blink:

Submeg
1st October 2007, 22:43
Whoops!

Demon Cleaner
1st October 2007, 22:46
A lot of Germans still prefer bank transfer, that takes of course longer to transfer the money, but it was worse some time ago, when only 2-3% accepted PayPal.

Harrison
2nd October 2007, 00:46
The advantage of direct bank transfers is that there is no charges for receiving the money. Compared to Paypal who take a percentage of the money received into your paypal account. That's why some still prefer that method.

Stephen Coates
2nd October 2007, 13:21
I'm usually not bothered about paypal charges, as they are quite low unless you recieve a lot of money. I'd say most of the time, for the convenience, it's worth it. I just find it annoying when people want you to add extra for paypal payments. I ordered a floppy drive from someone recently and he wanted an extra 5% for paypal.

If you use PayPal you could always just get a personal account which doesn't have fees, if you don't mind not recieving credit card payments (I stuck with a personal account until someones only method of paying was credit card, which left me with no choice but to change to premier).

It is easy to transfer money between bank accounts? I have never done it, except to recieve a payment of about £5, which arrived OK (or I think it did, I didn't really check properly and assumed it had)

Harrison
2nd October 2007, 13:34
Paypal changed its rules a while back so that a personal account could only be used to send and not receive payments. This was a clever way of ebay/paypal forcing all to upgrade to a premium/business account if they wanted to receive payments, which in effect means ebay are receiving two lots of money for every auction (auction fees and final price fee + paypal fee) if paypal is used!

Bloodwych
2nd October 2007, 13:40
Paypal changed its rules a while back so that a personal account could only be used to send and not receive payments. This was a clever way of ebay/paypal forcing all to upgrade to a premium/business account if they wanted to receive payments, which in effect means ebay are receiving two lots of money for every auction (auction fees and final price fee + paypal fee) if paypal is used!

I agree that was very naughty of them and caught me out last year. Ebay makes more money than a small country, no bull, and the charges are extortionate and should be managed better since they are running a practical monopoly. PayPAL charges as well are just taking things too far.

At the very least, only people who are running a business should be charged for receiving payments, not someone who sells one thing a month.

The only good thing is the buyer protection plan.

Harrison
2nd October 2007, 13:54
The buyer protection plan isn't fair either. As a seller, if you send an item to someone who states they don't want postal insurance, and then they complain to paypal saying they never received the item, you have no proof it was posted (no registered tracking number) so have no way of proving you posted it, and Paypal will demand you refund the buyer without question.

Stephen Coates
2nd October 2007, 16:02
What if you got a certificate of posting from the post office? Or maybe even make a video which shows you packing the item, taking it to the post office, and the person at the post office giving you the proof of posting. I can't see any better method of proving that you posted something without a tracking number :)

Is it easy to claim back from royal mail if an item is lost? I have never done it as the only item I sent that got lost was worth about £2 and the buyer hadn't paid for it yet. But, Royal Mail have lost 3 items that I have bought this year. Luckily they were all replacable.

Harrison
2nd October 2007, 16:58
A proof of posting certificate should be OK as long as you made sure the full name and address of the buyer was included on the printed receipt and it is stamped by the post office.

As for claiming compensation from Royal Mail... NO it isn't easy or straight forward, and if you only sent something Recorded Delivery then you will get a book of stamps back as the most compensation you will receive. If you send it with actual postal insurance then you are more likely to be able to claim back the cost of the item lost in transit, but you have to be able to show that the item didn't arrive at its destination using a tracking number, and you have to have the original proof of postage receipt, insurance and recorded/special delivery slips. Even then it can take a long time to claim anything back.

StuKeith
8th October 2007, 14:33
Turned up today! Cant wait to stick it in and try it all out!

Sharingan
8th October 2007, 14:37
Someone with a more perverse mind than mine might interpret that in the wrong manner, y'know.

But congrats! Tell us about your new toy when you've tested it.

J T
8th October 2007, 16:21
Turned up today! Cant wait to stick it in and try it all out!

Tell us about your new toy when you've tested it.

Hope it came with batteries.

StuKeith
8th October 2007, 16:22
Took a while to get working. Tried it in both my A1200 and non would come on!:( so wiggled it a bit and slid back in and out and it worked! :D

Put it back in my normal A1200 and same again, wouldnt boot. :( bit of a wiggle and YEA!! :lol:

tried my 32mb simm but power light just keept flashing so I assume that its too fast for the card to use. :o Stuck the 8mg and works fine!

I can now play DOOM! for the 1st time in 10 years I get to play it! :lol: I know it sounds trivia, but ive always wanted to play this, Quake and genetic species.

NEXT STEP D1200 TOWER CONVERSION with USB! :p:p

J T
8th October 2007, 16:28
Took a while to get working. Tried it in both and non would come!:( so wiggled it a bit and slid back in and out and it worked! :D

Put it back :( bit of a wiggle and YEA!! :lol:

tried flashing :o

:p:p

See earlier post.

*FNARK*

Harrison
8th October 2007, 18:39
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. ;)

StuKeith
8th October 2007, 20:48
umm, havent noticed a big speed increase under workbench :no:

What should I notice? Apart from not being able to replace the trapdoor cover! :rolleyes:

Stephen Coates
9th October 2007, 10:00
My 1230 doesn't give a big speed increase when not doing much with Workbench, but it speed up a lot of programmes.

Harrison
9th October 2007, 12:22
Yep, The speed difference between a standard A1200 and my A4000 is not that noticeable when using Workbench for general tasks. I do however notice quite a speed increase when accessing folders on the HD. Especially when they contain a lot of files.

As Steve said, the biggest increases will be when running applications or games. Try running something like Gloom, Fears or Alien Breed 3D and you should notice a big improvement and the ability to select bigger resolutions and more detailed pixel sizes.

And something like Photogenics would run much faster.