PDA

View Full Version : compatibility list

slicer1000
23rd September 2007, 18:27
Hi

Are there any compatiablity list on the internet which tells you what game work on the a1200 and which do not.

I know about holding down both mouse buttons but some games still do not work once the caches have been disabled.

Where is the best place to get a relokick disk ebay?

The reason for asking is my brother and me bought 31 amiga game from a shop near to where he lives and we always knew some would be duff but I am not sure which are corrupt and which simply do not work on a a1200. The one I cannot get to work are below

shadow of the beast (game loads and starts but crashes after a min of playing)
Jame pond (loads but graphic's are corrupt) I guess thiss needs a relowkick
Humans (start to load then does nothing) and I guess this needs a relowkick
barbarian Psygnosis version (start to load then does nothing)
Alien Breed 2 AGA (game load but will not play I think disk 2 is corrupt maybe disk doctor can fix it?)
Sleepwalker a500 (game loads and works but disk 2 does not load)
syndicate (loads but gets a software error after intro maybe disk doctor can fix it?)
Robocop 2 (disk just keeps loading and nothing happens)
Fantastic Dizzy (disk 1 loads disk 2 start to load then screen drops out)

also how can I get adf blitzer to my amiga I do not have a null modem lead can you but it in a zip and copy it to disk?

Any advice on the above games would be most helpfull

Thanks
Slicer

Tiago
24th September 2007, 08:28
I have an A1200 and Syndicate works perfectly. It is a 4 disk game and has hd install.
That one is a disk problem for sure.

The other games i dont know.

Harrison
24th September 2007, 11:55
Most of the games you listed will work perfectly on the A1200. Some will need the Relokick 1.3 disk to get them working properly.

I think the only game you listed that will not work properly on an A1200 is Shadow of the Beast. The first SotB game doesn't even run properly on the A600!

To get ADFBlitzer to your Amiga, format an Amiga floppy disk in your PC as a 720K PC floppy disk, then you can copy the files onto that to get them onto your A1200. Workbench 3 can read and write 720K PC floppy disks so that makes it easy. But you may need to copy the PC0: device driver from the storage disk, onto your Workbench disk if it isn't reading them when yuo try.

TiredOfLife
24th September 2007, 17:14
I thought SOB did run on the A1200?
Will try tonight and let you know.
Played it recently but that was using WHD.

slicer1000
24th September 2007, 18:57
hi

thanks for that harrison. After looking on the net it appears shadow of the beast does not work on a normal a1200 a hard drive patch was released so it can work on a1200 with a hard drive I will have to format a pc 3.5 dd as my pc does not like to read amiga disks.

if a disk has a hard track error and I format the disk can I then copy onto that disk?

Thanks
slicer1000

Harrison
24th September 2007, 23:16
You will need to get some partitioning software for the Amiga that can mark bad sectors and tracks so they get skipped when the drive is used.

slicer1000
25th September 2007, 22:09
You will need to get some partitioning software for the Amiga that can mark bad sectors and tracks so they get skipped when the drive is used

Can you name any of thoughs programs?

If I do format the disk and copy onto it I take it there will still be a error?
unless I use a partition program?

I have a old copy of shadow warriors which had hard track errors all over the the disk yet still the game played fine. Where the drives in the a500 and a1200 different?

Also how do I get my amiga to read zip files? I put adf blitzer on the disk in zip format and used the pc0 driver I could then access the disk but it said space was used but the disk is empty in the amiga window?

I got james bond to work by using the enhanced mode in the boot options.
My alien breed 2 aga disk 3 works fine so I can play from level 5 onwards.

Harrison
26th September 2007, 00:25
If the harddrive just has some bad sectors than you can mark these as out of limits, which adds them to the harddrives bad sectors list (all HDs have bad sectors from new and contain a list of them set by the factory to hide them). I don't remember off the top of my head which Amiga software can do this though.

Track errors on game floppy disks might not always actually be errors, but instead a special disk format used by the game's developers.

For Zip files you will need to install a zip compression utility on your Amiga. You can find some on Aminet. As for viewing the files, any files you copy onto a PC formatted disk will not be seen as standard. You need to select "show all files" in workbench to see them.

v85rawdeal
26th September 2007, 09:47
One piece of software that marks bad sectors on Amiga hdds (and I think it also did floppies!?!) was a nice piece of kit called Quarterback Tools.

It functioned very similar to Nortons does nowadays.

I might still have it somewhere, if I do, I will try and get it sorted;)

Harrison
26th September 2007, 10:20
Yes, that's the program I was trying to remember. Quaterback Tools is a great HD utility and I used to use it a lot myself. It can even recover HDs that have been formatted.

slicer1000
26th September 2007, 19:06
OK so here goes if I get it to work I may write a faq to save hassle in the future.

I have downloaded trans adf which should read zips.

so

I format the disk in win98 to 720kb copy files to disk

load workbench 3.0 select pc0 from storge disk

load pc disk select show all files and they sould be there only thing is I copyed trans adf to a disk unzipped but my amiga could not read it?

I just copy the files usings win98 does it need to be done under ms-dos?

Thanks

slicer

Harrison
27th September 2007, 00:09
Can you see all of the files for TransADF on the Amiga when you look at the contents of the PC floppy disk? If so then you should be OK. Remember than TransADF is an Amiga DOS utility and doesn't have a Workbench graphical front end. You have to run it from a CLI shell. Easiest way is to copy TransADF into your C Workbench folder then you have access to the utility at all times from the CLI.

If on the other hand you can't see the files properly then the best way to get TransADF onto the Amiga is to keep it as a LHA archive until you have it on the Amiga. The only problem with that is Workbench cannot read and uncompress LHA archives as standard, so you will first need to get LHA onto the Amiga. I recommend you do this by downloading this: lha.run (http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/lha) It is a self extracting LHA archive so can be copyed to the Amiga via PC floppy disk and then extracted without needing any other utility just by double clicking the file and running it.

Hope that helps.

v85rawdeal
27th September 2007, 13:49
For people who want QB & Tools, follow this link (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/myamigastuff/files/) (or download it from the private downloads area of the forum). all files will easily fit onto a 720kb floppy disk for transfer to Amigas. (Can't quite say the same about Norton's :))

slicer1000
27th September 2007, 18:58
Hi

yes once I used the show all files I could see every thing on the disk all the trans ADF files have a hammer icon. Which when you click on look for a command.

I also have adf blizers as well.

What are the commands then to run it from shell? Is there a FAQ as most of the stuff is in german?

Thanks

slicer1000

Harrison
28th September 2007, 00:08
OK, as you can see the files and they have a hammer icon that is perfectly fine and how they should look. The Hammer icon means it is a shell utility and not a Workbench file. Copy the TransADF file into the C folder in your copy of Workbench (you will need to "show all files" to see the C: folder).

Next you will need to have the ADF you wish to write to floppy disk on your Amiga and not on a floppy disk in the DF0: (as you will need that to write the disk). If you have an HD in the Amiga then just copy it to somewhere on there, otherwise you can copy the ADF into the Workbench ram disk.

Assuming the ADF is in the RAM: disk and it is called Game.adf then use the following shell command to write the ADF back into a real floppy disk:

TransADF DRIVE DF0: FILE RAM:Game.adf WRITEAnd that should write the ADF back into a real disk. Hope that works.

But personally I prefer to use ADF Blitzer as it is so easy to use and has worked with every ADF I've ever tried.

slicer1000
28th September 2007, 21:39
OK, as you can see the files and they have a hammer icon that is perfectly fine and how they should look. The Hammer icon means it is a shell utility and not a Workbench file. Copy the TransADF file into the C folder in your copy of Workbench (you will need to "show all files" to see the C: folder).

Next you will need to have the ADF you wish to write to floppy disk on your Amiga and not on a floppy disk in the DF0: (as you will need that to write the disk). If you have an HD in the Amiga then just copy it to somewhere on there, otherwise you can copy the ADF into the Workbench ram disk.

Assuming the ADF is in the RAM: disk and it is called Game.adf then use the following shell command to write the ADF back into a real floppy disk:

TransADF DRIVE DF0: FILE RAM:Game.adf WRITEAnd that should write the ADF back into a real disk. Hope that works.

But personally I prefer to use ADF Blitzer as it is so easy to use and has worked with every ADF I've ever tried.

Relpy ok thanks I will give that a shot. I got QB tools to work and I also have ADF Blitzer does it need copying to the work bench disk or ram disk to run?

do I need to uncompress the adf first? how do I do that?

can ADF Blitzer read zips can it use the ram disk as I do not have a hard drive?

Thanks
slicer1000

Harrison
29th September 2007, 01:08
ADFBlitzer does not need to be copied to Workbench, but it will only work with Workbench 3, which I forgot to mention before. It should run from where ever you like, but as you will be placing a blank disk in the Amiga's floppy drive you should probably copy it to the Workbench disk.

I can't remember if ADFBlitzer supports ZIP files or not. If not then you can download the shell utility UnZip from http://www.paulkienitz.net/amiga/unz550xA.lha, but try using TransADF first.

BaldEagle
29th September 2007, 13:29
Alien Breed used to work ok on mine I'm sure.

slicer1000
29th September 2007, 19:54
success :D it worked and I can now play tmnt the arcade game on my a1200.
I always wanted to see what the amiga version was like. Now a visit to planetemu is in order.

I do wish they would carry uncracked and unhacked versions of the games.
I just want to thank you all for your help. v85rawdeal was also kind enough to send me a relokick disk in the post.

Sadly the only games the relokick help run where fantasy dizzy and James pond.
I believe sotb will not run on a a1200 at all need to fix my a500
alien breed 2 aga works fine from level 3 onwards it would seem part of disk 2 is corrupt as team 17 used 980kb disks any tool software would corrupt the disk.

robocop 2 also causes some real problems on my a1200 the disk keeps on loading and nothing happen if you soft reset the amiga the drive will keep loading after the reset.:o

I will use qb tools just to find if there are any errors on the disks.

The others all must have corrupt disks :(

My a1200 was one that came with a lot of disk which the seller sold as blank. Most had hacked and copied game on them I am currently formating most of the disks as the games never seem to work the way they should. even back in the 1990 me and my bro would swap games with friends often they would lend us a copy and we would find once you got to the later stages of the game the copy was corrupt.

Thanks again
slicer1000

Harrison
1st October 2007, 12:09
I was lucky in that regard. I only ever had a couple of games that didn't work properly out of the hundreds I copied from friends.

The strangest was Nitro where the later stages had messed up graphics where all the track graphical blocks were in a messed up order. You could still race around the track but would get stuck when a piece of track wasn't where it should be and instead bits if building or trees were there instead. Mad!

As you mentioned, Planetemu is good if you are just downloading one or two games. But you should visit pleasuredome as they have the full Amiga TOSEC torrent sets.

Submeg
1st October 2007, 12:18
The others all must have corrupt disks :(

My a1200 was one that came with a lot of disk which the seller sold as blank. Most had hacked and copied game on them I am currently formating most of the disks as the games never seem to work the way they should. even back in the 1990 me and my bro would swap games with friends often they would lend us a copy and we would find once you got to the later stages of the game the copy was corrupt.

Thanks again
slicer1000

Like my dragons lair :(

slicer1000
1st October 2007, 19:07
Yes we got nitro from a friend and the last few levels had dodgy graphic's.

It also appear that some of my games just will not work on a a1200 in win uae humans does not run under a relokick or with the boot options. it crash at the same point as mine yet on a a500 config it works fine.

I guess some games just will not work on a a1200 no matter what you do moonstone is another.

by the way what does TOSEC stand for?

AlexJ
1st October 2007, 19:48
by the way what does TOSEC stand for?

The Old School Emulation Centre - More Info (http://www.classicamiga.com/index.php?option=com_kb&page=articles&articleid=12)