PDA

View Full Version : Connecting laptop to the TV

Puni/Void
22nd September 2007, 09:53
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop which I really want to hook up to the TV, but I can't get it to work.

The laptop has ATI x200 integrated graphics with a video-out port. When I connect the cable from the machine to the TV, I get an image on screen, but it's in black and white. I've tried different settings, but I'm unable to get colours. Does any of you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for help.

Harrison
22nd September 2007, 10:19
Have you checked the ATi graphics card properties on the laptop? There should be a section for TV output, where you can change how it outputs the signal. It could be set to NTSC which can give a B/W picture on some TVs, or you may need to change some other settings. You can also normally choose to either clone the main laptop display on the TV or extend the desktop onto the TV.

Demon Cleaner
23rd September 2007, 23:36
Yep, if your TV doesn't support NTSC it will display it in black & white.

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 06:05
I've tried changing some of the settings concerning this, like you recommended, but strangely enough, the output is still black and white. I've even tried different PAL modes, but to no avail. :( I've also tried cloning the screen and extending the desktop to the TV. Maybe I need some third-party software to fix this?

Thanks for the help so far. :)

Harrison
24th September 2007, 11:44
This may sound so obvious, but have you tried a different cable? Sometimes a B/W output can be down to just a damaged video cable.

Demon Cleaner
24th September 2007, 12:43
What video output do you have, SVideo, VGA, DVI?

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 17:05
It's an s-video port, and I've connected the cable from this into the s-video port on the TV. I think maybe the cable isn't working as it should, so I'll buy a new one on Wednesday. I've read somewhere that I might need an s-video to composite adapter to get colours. Does any of you have experience with that?

Harrison
24th September 2007, 17:10
Is there any other equipment you own with an S-Video output? Such as a DVD player or VCR that you could test the cable with to see if it is working correctly or not?

Demon Cleaner
24th September 2007, 17:13
I have a Sony Vaio laptop, and I have an SVideo (not on the card), but a VGA card. I tried the SVideo output and it's showing me my desktop just fine. Did not try the VGA though.

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 17:14
Hmm, that's true. I have both a DVD-player and VCR, so I guess I could test the cable on those. These are connected via SCART though, and I don't remember if they have separate s-video output. Will have to check that. :) Thanks for the tip though.

Btw, would it be possible to connect the laptop to the DVD or VCR (if it has an s-video port), so that the picture will go through one of these instead of directly to the TV? Is this a possibility for making it work?

Also, I should point out that I'm using an adapter to connect the s-video cable to the laptop, as the port is a bit different from normal. The port on the laptop looks a bit more like a keyboard port on motherboards.

Demon Cleaner
24th September 2007, 17:20
Btw, would it be possible to connect the laptop to the DVD or VCR (if it has an s-video port), so that the picture will go through one of these instead of directly to the TV? Is this a possibility for making it work?That would make it even worse. Every "break" between your connection costs quality, as is doing your adaptor. An immediate connection is always the best. And if you get a b/w signal through the cable, it won't make it better connecting it through another source. Perhaps your adaptor is the bogey.

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 17:28
Thanks for the input, Demon. Guess I won't be trying that then, if the quality gets reduced.

Seems like I should try a bit more, and if it doesn't get any better, buy a new cable (and adapter) on Wednesday. It doesn't cost much and I can always return it if turns out not work properly. Thanks again for the help guys. :)

Demon Cleaner
24th September 2007, 18:06
Perhaps go to a pro shop and ask the seller what the problem could be, will avoid you to buy a new cable & adaptor, and still not working.

Puni/Void
25th September 2007, 14:42
I went to a shop today after work, and I invested in a new cable. I tried it right away when I got home, and it worked, so now I have a clear image along with colours. :) Thanks for all the help guys! :thumbs:

Demon Cleaner
25th September 2007, 14:46
Glad to hear that a new cable worked out fine :thumbs:

Harrison
25th September 2007, 14:59
Yeah, great to hear it was only the cable. :)