PDA

View Full Version : PS2 best games - please list some good games

Tiago
21st September 2007, 08:16
Hi everyone, i have a PS2 sinde 2005 and i dont play so much... dont have more then 15 games... i dont have a new game for long time.

Please list 2 or 3 good games for Ps2
Thanks

Demon Cleaner
21st September 2007, 09:44
What kind of games do you like??

An absolute MUST have are the 2 God of War games, you won't be disappointed, and I think many will agree.

Tiago
21st September 2007, 10:22
any kind of game, but not simulatores, i prefer them on PC... (more realistic)

God of War ? I think i will like that one...
Give me more please

Sharingan
21st September 2007, 11:17
Shadow of the Colossus and its prequel, ICO are two rare gems that shouldn't be missed. The latter plays much like Prince of Persia, whereas Shadow is unlike anything you've seen before.

Okami is another great original game that, while quirky, does offer a unique gameplay experience. Plus, it's huge.

If you like hack & slash, then the aforementioned God of War series shouldn't be missed. Similarly, the Devil May Cry series (minus the second one ... that one sucks) offers much of the same experience. For a hack'em up that is somewhat slower in pace, Onimusha (all four games) are of high quality.

Platform games: there are plenty, but two franchises stand out. Jak & Daxter, and the Ratchet & Clank series (which will be seeing a continuation on the PS3 very soon). Viewtiful Joe might be worth a look, as well.

If you like RPGs, then the PS2 is heaven. Several dozens are available, and it would take you years to play through them all. I think Demon Cleaner collects RPGs, so he knows more about what's available. If you liked the kind of RPG that Diablo represented, then Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance might be worth a try. For the time, it was a stunning game to watch and play, plus you can play it co-op with a pal.

Racing games, I'm sure you've heard of Gran Turismo. Both parts 3 and 4 are excellent games.

For survival horror, look no further than the Silent Hill series, particularly episodes 2 and 3.

Versus fighting games: plenty of them. Tekken and Soul Calibur have seen the light of day on the PS2, and they're all fantastic. If you like 2D, there's the Guilty Gear series that might interest you. It's a fabulous little fighter.

Last, but not least, Pro Evolution Soccer is the one footy game that should really be played. No other series on the PS2 compares.

Submeg
21st September 2007, 11:20
If you are into RPG games, Final Fantasy is a must. Final Fantasy X and XII are a must. Also, an official walkthrough is a must

For a different style of game, focused upon espionage, look for Metal Gear Solid 1 to 3. They are excellent games that are in a different style compared with most shooting games.

Demon Cleaner
21st September 2007, 11:21
Some great games you mentioned Sharingan, also when talking about survival horror, Resident Evil 4 is also available for the PS2.

And indeed I collect RPGs, so if you're interseted, visit the RPG thread, or just ask here if you want to play any. But if you get all the games that Sharingan mentioned, you should be busy for some time.

Harrison
21st September 2007, 12:58
A lot of great games mentioned so I won't add any more to the list yet. But do you have any favourite gaming series? Maybe you missed something in those that is available on the PS2.

And as DC said, have a look at the RPG thread as it lists nearly every RPG ever released for the PS2. DC provided the main original list and I've updated it with a few new released, plus I added some more under the main list, plus a list of Japanese only RPGs that haven't seen a western release. There is enough in that RPG list to keep you busy for many years.

Tiago
21st September 2007, 13:19
hummm, thank guys
i think i will try:

- Shadow of the Colossus
- God of War 2
- Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

This 3 look very good. I hope i can get time to play a bit of them... Amiga is taking me most of my time:)

Ghost
21st September 2007, 22:52
Hello,

Well, Sharingan beat me to Okami, its kind of Zelda like but at least with fresh new characters instead of rehashes of old ones and a new interesting setting.

Harrison
21st September 2007, 23:29
Okami is a great and very unique game. I don't quite see the comparison to Zelda though.

Teho
22nd September 2007, 09:59
If you like that Dark Alliance game, you may be interested in the other games based on the same engine. There's Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2, which continues the story and is better than the first game in many ways. There's the two games based on Everquest, called Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms. These differ slightly from the Baldur's Gate games in that many of the maps are generated as you play, so the levels are different each playthrough. And they have online capabilities, allowing up to four players cooperating which is pretty interesting. The first one is very bugridden though, so get the second if you're going to try these as it's much more stable.

Then there's The Bard's Tale. A modern take on the classic games, this one really is a must-play especially if your're an RPG fan! The game is a giant piss-take on the entire RPG-genre, having fun with all the common RPG clichés, featuring a selfish protagonist who would watch a village burn and loot it afterwards rather than try saving it. This game will have you in stitches throughout and is one I would definitely recommend.

There's also Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, but I'm only mentioning it because it is also based on the engine originally used for Dark Alliance. This game is really horrible and should be avoided unless you really really have to play everything that is Fallout. You have been warned.

v85rawdeal
22nd September 2007, 12:54
My personal recommendations are:

Shadow of Memories: Quite possibly one of the very best games to use a time-travel motif, with a beautiful look and a very immersive plot.

Gitaroo Man: About the very best of the rythm games, with the most awesome soundtrack known to man.

Beyond Good and Evil: A Shoot-em-up with a difference (You use a camera).

SSX Tricky: The pinaccle of the snowboarding series, not as clumsy or cluttered as the later games, with a great playability level.

Gregory Horror Show: A game that truly deserves a cult status. Great graphics, and great puzzles.

However, these are only my choices, so I do not expect many people to have a list similar to mine, as I have strange tastes in games.

Demon Cleaner
23rd September 2007, 23:34
Get God of War 1 first, as you will miss something of the story otherwise if you buy the sequel.

toomanymikes
24th September 2007, 07:32
Lets see...
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Ico - a must have!
SSX Tricky
Silent Hill 2
Devil may cry 1 & 3
Resident Evil 4

You can also play PSX games on it so lets not forget about them cos you can pick them up for a bargain these days:

Raiden 4
Castlevania symphony of the night
Street Fighter alpha
Metal gear solid
Silent Hill
Resident evil 1 & 2

Tiago
24th September 2007, 07:45
Ok,
thanks for the tips.
I have a good list now.

:D