PDA

View Full Version : Literature Horror writers

Harrison
19th September 2007, 23:03
What are some of your favourite horror writers, and which of their books do you like the most?

My favourite horror author has always been James Herbert. I've always liked the fact that his books never follow exactly the same formula, which happens with a lot of writers. Admittedly he does often tend to use the same structure of a main character and a love interest in most, but that is as far as the similarities go.

I recently finished reading The Ghosts of Sleath and thought it was a great book, and with a slightly unexpected end. The sequel to Haunted, it is worth reading that first as it is about the same central character (David Ash) and reference is made to the events of first book in Ghosts of Sleath.

Other authors I like include Dean R. Koontz, Stephen King, Anne Rice and Shaun Hutson (as mentioned an another thread), and of course all of the famous ones such as H. P. Lovecraft, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley and Edgar Allan Poe.

Tiago
20th September 2007, 07:39
Some years ago, i read Edgar Allan Poe, "Murders on the rue morgue".
I read it because it is a song title from Iron Maiden. Brave new world was another one that i read for the same reason.

Demon Cleaner
20th September 2007, 10:27
Some years ago, i read Edgar Allan Poe, "Murders on the rue morgue".I saw the movie, a TV film from 1986 starring Val Kilmer. I think that it is an awful film :thumbsdown2:
The IM song is great though.

Tiago
20th September 2007, 10:49
Some years ago, i read Edgar Allan Poe, "Murders on the rue morgue".I saw the movie, a TV film from 1986 starring Val Kilmer. I think that it is an awful film :thumbsdown2:
The IM song is great though.

Ye, the book is a sxxx ...
But the song is great.

Brave new world is fantastic, book and song.

Harrison
20th September 2007, 10:53
TV movies are on the whole never that great. And you have to remember how long ago Edgar Allan Poe published his books. The style of writing and the level of horror are very different to today.

Murder on the rue morgue is a great song though. :)

Tiago
20th September 2007, 11:02
Iron Mainden has more then 10 songs that are related to books.

Did you know the "rime and the ancent mariner"... fantastic one!!

Demon Cleaner
20th September 2007, 11:27
Did you know the "rime and the ancent mariner"... fantastic one!!Rime of the ancient mariner. Also a milestone in the NWOBHM.

Harrison
20th September 2007, 12:10
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, by Coleridge, has long been one of my favourite poems. While still at school, they had a copy of the poem in the library which contained lithographic illustrations of the whole poem alongside each page. I used to keep renewing the book each month and no one else ever wanted it when I came to renew it. Ever since I've been trying to find a copy of that book to buy, but I've not yet found it.

It is also my favourite IM song. It was amazing seeing that performed live many years ago.

Tiago
20th September 2007, 12:27
Did you know the "rime and the ancent mariner"... fantastic one!!Rime of the ancient mariner. Also a milestone in the NWOBHM.

Sorry, :whistle:

Maiden is a great band, i saw them 4 times here in PT. :notworthy:

Buleste
16th November 2007, 19:49
HP Lovecraft, Ramsey Campbell, Robert Bloch are all good Horror writers if as with all horror a little formulaic.

toomanymikes
16th November 2007, 20:06
I just finished I, Claudius and feeling peckish for books that start with 'I' picked up I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan. Not sure if its a horror but it has been getting good reviews so Im looking forward to starting it when I get some free time.

khaxzan
9th August 2008, 22:22
For those just learning how to read

I recommend

Douglas Clegg