PDA

View Full Version : Scaremongering? Or prudent pre-planning?

v85rawdeal
19th September 2007, 09:30
Did anybody see 2006 documentary on BBC4 last Monday called This Film Not Yet Rated. It is about the US movie rating system and it demonstrates just how crazy this system is, when compared to the European rating system, primarily with regard to sex and violence.

One example of this strangeness is 'Basic Instinct' was Rated R, and yet the Scary Movies and American Pie were considered for Rating NC-17 (which is even more restrictive than Rated 'R' movies)

Another example is that ANY film that seeks assistance from the US Military CANNOT show any negative side to the US Military machine, otherwise no assistance will be given. 5 copies of every script must be sent to the Pentagon, and if approved, an observer will be on set through the entire film making process to ensure that no changes are made. And they call that 'freedom of speech'???

Even more silly is that if you sell a cake with a Mickey Mouse image on it (without permission), you can get fined over $100,000 and spend 3 years in Jail.

God knows what will happen if it gets into such a state with regards to the games industry. Sure, there could be potential upsides to it. I could see the number of FPS set in recent times (i.e. the last century) being reduced, encouraging new ideas and settings (American civil war, anyone?). BUT imagine all driving games having to be watched over by representatives of the Police through production. Or, more extreme, games like The Sims or Nintendogs needing approval by Social Services or the RSPCA respectively.

Absurd, yes? But similar states already occurs in the film industry and with the budgets on games increasing, how long will it be before such demands are made of the games industry? Hopefully, people power can prevent such a thing coming to pass.

In the end, we the public, are the target for these movies and games, and we should have the right to judge for ourselves. I have managed that ever since I decided if I wanted to watch Nightmare on Elm Street round my friend's house (I was 13/14), and I intent to keep doing that. Sure, I made some decisions I regretted... and I learnt from them (usually!)

So bring on the good games, games that do not need shock value to be great, and let us, the public, disaffect ourselves from the nanny-state that is becoming a part of the game industry as it did the film industry. Surely we should get the chance to decide for ourselves.

If a game only uses controversy to shift it from the shelves, perhaps people will think twice about getting other games of that style, or from that publisher. By that process alone, the gaming industry has a chance to become self-regulating. No company wants to spend a mini-movie-budget on something that is not going to sell. And maybe that will encourage companies to try something different.

Let us shout loud and make our voices heard above the clamour of the media circus. The gaming industry's greatest moments occured in the bedrooms of young coders and imaginative minds. Let that be the breeding ground of the new generation, and let us take back that which we helped to flourish. Let not the rating system ruin our hobby, but let us build a sensible, balanced system to enhance our gaming pleasure.

What do others think?

Harrison
19th September 2007, 10:16
Do even American citizens believe they are living in a democracy? The US is far from such, with government agencies watching their every move, and even each others every move. I think by contrast Russian citizens had it easy!

There is a big difference between the movie industry and the gaming industry. With most of the film studios owned by US companies, or mostly based in the US, the US film censorship laws have to be adhered to. But with the gaming industry a lot of developers are not based in the US. So any similar move by the US government to control the content and censorship of games could see developers just moving away from the US market and leaving them out in the cold. I think some of the reasons for Japanese games never being ported and released in the US is already down to this.

And the US forget one thing. The world is not centred around them, regardless of what they would like to think. Games based on events do not have to centre around the US. War games could just as easily feature European or Asian armies instead of US ones (you might actually have more chance of winning the game that way ;)). We could then fight the Americans in the games, rather than always being forced to be them!

Demon Cleaner
19th September 2007, 10:20
I was always against any restrictions or rating systems, whatever it is/was. In the beginning it was the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center), formed by Tipper Gore, wife of Al Gore.
The PMRC claimed that popular music, and especially rock and heavy metal music, was partially responsible for the contemporary increase in rape, teenage pregnancy, and teen suicide.Thanks to them, we now have the Parental Advisory sticker on several music CDs.

What I hate most, is that german movies, which got an 18+ rate everywhere, are all rated 16. What does this mean? Every "brutal" scene is cut, you don't see any gore. So mostly movies in german last less longer because of the cut scenes, and sometimes this are more than 10 minutes.

But not only horror films, but action films like Die Hard, Total Recall, Clockwork Orange... everything is cut, and when you watch it, you feel like missing the best of the film. That SUCKS!!!

And btw Mrs Gore:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/cioprgr/parental.jpg

Harrison
19th September 2007, 10:25
Does anyone know why censorship laws are so strict in Germany?

As least with films, with the internet today it is easy to get the uncut versions with the content intact.

Harrison
19th September 2007, 10:27
I was always against any restrictions or rating systems, whatever it is/was. In the beginning it was the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center), formed by Tipper Gore, wife of Al Gore.
The PMRC claimed that popular music, and especially rock and heavy metal music, was partially responsible for the contemporary increase in rape, teenage pregnancy, and teen suicide.Thanks to them, we now have the Parental Advisory sticker on several music CDs.

Another example of how the US are brain washed by their religious beliefs so much so that they will believe such things.

The big problem with the US is that they are still a very young country and haven't grown up yet. In Europe we have had witch hunts, reformations, revolutions etc... over many centuries before our civilizations have reached their current point. The US haven't even reached this stage yet and are still performing modern day witch hunts.

Demon Cleaner
19th September 2007, 10:43
The US haven't even reached this stage yet and are still performing modern day witch hunts.This is funny when you say it, but you're right, we are at a point where most things at least already happenend once, which isn't the case for the US yet.

I don't know why german laws are so strict, could it still be because of the world wars?

Harrison
19th September 2007, 10:46
I thought the same. Maybe it is in some way due to the World Wars so I looked it up and on Wikipedia they have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_in_Germany

Reading down this page to the 1945-1989 sections you can quickly see something. The censorship during this period was controlled by the Allied occupational forces. Therefore the bloody Americans again!

And since the reunification in 1989 they kept the same laws as West Germany.