PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs up from Revolution

Harrison
17th September 2007, 09:29
I contacted Revolution Software last week to ask about the legality of hosting their two Amiga games for download on classicamiga, and today I received a confirmation email back from Tony Warriner of Revolution Software saying that it is OK for us to host the two games.

So I will be adding Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress to the site for download today. :)

Demon Cleaner
17th September 2007, 09:44
That is great news. Perhaps add it to the news, so that people can see it.

Harrison
17th September 2007, 09:48
Yep. I will do once the games are available on the main site.

Here is part of the reply from Tony:

"It's great that you are helping keep them alive with your site!"

J T
17th September 2007, 09:53
Cool! It's good to see them happy to keep the spirit alive rather than quibbling over rights to games that increasingly few are even aware of.

v85rawdeal
17th September 2007, 10:52
This is an approach I would love to see some other companies take to retro games, on all systems.

AlexJ
17th September 2007, 11:17
:thumbs: Thanks Revolution! Two great games there and a stance that I wish other companies would take.

toomanymikes
17th September 2007, 12:24
That is so cool. What a great attitude to have! :D If I had a company that published Amiga games and someone wanted to host them now then I defo would allow them.

Sharingan
17th September 2007, 15:23
Wow, excellent stuff. I never got to complete Lure of the Temptress because one of my game disks was broken. The game would always crash as I proceeded into the castle part. One of the best adventures I'd played on the Amiga.

Harrison
17th September 2007, 15:51
Lure of the Temptress was a great game. One of the first to try and use a working day/night system where in game characters would go about their daily lives based on the time of day. The story was also pretty good with a lot of variety. I've not played it myself since I completed it many years ago, but remember enjoying it a lot.

Submeg
18th September 2007, 13:31
Cool, that is quite excellent of them! :)

Puni/Void
18th September 2007, 18:25
That was great news. It was nice to see a developer, with a passion for his game, caring about keeping it alive for the future. :thumbs: There are definitly other companies who could learn from that!

FOL
18th September 2007, 20:33
That is great news, i love revolution games, second reason i bought a CD32, Beneath a steel sky talkie version. Great stuff.

Harrison
18th September 2007, 23:43
Indeed. One of the few games that was actually enhanced properly to take advantage of the CD media in a good way. Instead of just sticking a badly modeled 3D rendered sequence before the identical A1200 game started, as most did.

Puni/Void
22nd September 2007, 09:47
The same goes for the CD32 version of Simon the Sorcerer, as it has integrated speech as well. Although, as you guys mention, there are far too few examples of games that really takes advantage of what the CD32 has to offer. I've tried many games on it lately, and many of them are just simply ports from the floppy version. :(

StuKeith
23rd September 2007, 21:13
How do you do the save games on the CD32? :huh2:

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 06:11
Some CD32 games has a save game option included, while others relies on the password system. To see the current save games that are available, you'll have to push either the blue or red button while the CD32 is idle (just after you've turned it on). There you'll see a list. These saves can be locked and unlocked. If you unlock them, they will be available for overwriting. If you lock them, changes are big that you can't save any other games, due to limited storage capacity.

Harrison
24th September 2007, 11:47
That in my opinion was the worst design flaw of the CD32. Only giving you 1K of save game ram in the system.

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 17:09
I agree, it's very annoying. Had a go at UFO: Enemy Unknown the other day, and I saved the game to continue another day. When I loaded the game again, a lot of the information was gone. This included current research and such stuff, which takes time setting up again. When Commodore first thought of adding this function, they could at least have beefed it up a bit, so that save games would be complete in more complex games.

Harrison
24th September 2007, 17:12
I think my idea of either including a floppy drive, or a floppy drive port and allowing developers to use that for save games would have worked much better.

Demon Cleaner
24th September 2007, 17:15
It should definitely have a floppy port. Imagine playing UFO and not being able to save everything, I would have accused Commodore.

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 17:17
That's true, but it could be that Commodore (and or other companies) was so afraid of piracy that they didn't include it. imagine all the games that was freely available on floppies that CD32 owners could play if this was the case. :D Also, I remember reading in the old magazines that "piracy was dead" because of CD-ROM. Well, it didn't take long before they were proved wrong on this field. ;) Anyway, I agree with you about the floppy. Would make a great difference to have one in the CD32.

Demon Cleaner
24th September 2007, 17:21
The CDTV has one.

Puni/Void
24th September 2007, 17:26
But the CDTV wasn't a console in the way that the CD32 was. CD32 was produced for gaming, while the CDTV had a other functions and areas of use.

Demon Cleaner
24th September 2007, 17:28
while the CDTV had a other functions and areas of use.You're very optimistic ;)

Submeg
24th September 2007, 22:34
while the CDTV had a other functions and areas of use.You're very optimistic ;)

LOL :lol:

Puni/Void
25th September 2007, 06:03
:oops: