PDA

View Full Version : The price of the PS3, in beer

Teho
7th September 2007, 19:26
From Spong.com (http://news.spong.com/article/13493?cb=842):

Speaking at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival, former Sony Europe boss, Chris Deering made the kind of price comparison we can all identify with (if we're of age of course).

Deering who is now consultant to various publishers including Codemasters, as well as being chairman of both Jalipo (an Internet TV company) and the EIF itself, said:

"In terms of the number of pints of beer you have to forego to get a PS3 it's really just the same as the number of pints of beer you had to forego to get a PS1 back in 1995".

According to the UK's National Statistics Online site, the price of a pint of lager in 1996 (it doesn't actually show 1995, was £1.73. However, according to the Treasury Archive, the price of beer was frozen in the 1995 budget and only raised in November 1996. Okay? Right, so beer was £1.73 per pint. Our own research tells us that a pint of Stella in Wakefield costs around £2.50.

The PSOne launch price was £299. The current retail price for a PS3 is £425... so, as far as we can see, Deering's not too far off the mark with this one. Back in 1995 £299 divided by £1.73 would have added up to a mighty 172.8 (Beers on the Deering scale). A PS3 at today's prices will cost you B170.

Therefore on the DBS, a PS3 is less expensive than a PSOne at a similar stage in their respective histories.

Kind of puts it in the proper perspective, doesn't it. ;)

Harrison
7th September 2007, 23:32
Finally! Marketing that makes sense! :lol:

J T
8th September 2007, 15:00
I'll take half of the beers and a Wii.

*chortle*

v85rawdeal
8th September 2007, 16:52
*HE HE HE* I don't drink beer, so that all went over my head :)

Sharingan
9th September 2007, 22:51
I wonder what the reaction would be if I turned up at the gamestore with a couple dozen crates of beer instead of cash?

Then again, I think I'd rather keep the beer!

J T
10th September 2007, 11:58

... that all went over my head :)

:o

Will I ever tire of piss jokes? Probably not :ninja:

J T
10th September 2007, 20:48

... that all went over my head :)

:o

Will I ever tire of piss jokes? Probably not :ninja:

Actually, that could've been better handled. I think I missed a golden opportunity there.

Teho
11th September 2007, 15:45
I'm sure we're all relieved. :p

Tiago
11th September 2007, 16:10
In Portugal a beer in a regular coffe/shoop cost +/- 0,80 euros +/- 0.54 pounds....
In a more fancy bar i will be around 2 euros (no more then that, more only in discos)

The PS3 costs here around 590 euros +/- 399 Pounds....
so, prices from a normal cafe/bar

it's about 738 beers.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harrison
11th September 2007, 16:24
Wow! Sounds like Portugal is a great place for beer!

In the UK prices vary greatly from place to place. You would pay just over £2 for a pint in many pubs, but in others it can be over £4.

Demon Cleaner
11th September 2007, 16:41
When I was in Portugal in 92 a bottle of beer 0.33 was 70 Escudos, which is around 0.40€, but that's some time ago. Here in Luxembourg we pay for a drawn beer of 0.4l 1.70€, that is in my hometown, in the city you'll pay between 2.50€ and 3€.

toomanymikes
11th September 2007, 20:23
In Portugal a beer in a regular coffe/shoop cost +/- 0,80 euros +/- 0.54 pounds....
In a more fancy bar i will be around 2 euros (no more then that, more only in discos)

Hey Tiago - where is it your from again? My girlfriend and child are off on holiday with their nan to Carvoeiro in Portugal for a week. After seeing the price of beer I wish I had taken my Holidays now too! Ah well, a week of Bachelor House awaits, cold beer in the fridge and loud music in the stereo... Life is hard...;)

Tiago
12th September 2007, 08:42

Hey Tiago - where is it your from again? My girlfriend and child are off on holiday with their nan to Carvoeiro in Portugal for a week. After seeing the price of beer I wish I had taken my Holidays now too! Ah well, a week of Bachelor House awaits, cold beer in the fridge and loud music in the stereo... Life is hard...;)

Well Carvoeiro is in Algarve in south of Portugal, i'am from Estoril/Lisbon (center of Portugal). Carvoeiro is a calm zone, good to have a relax vacations. and you have major cities around.
Beer in algarve could be a litle more expensive, because it's more turistic area.
You have to should less turistic bars/pubs if you want to pay less.

If she needs some information, just ask me.

Have a look here, good tips to carvoreiro, she should read this !!!
http://images.google.pt/imgres?imgurl=http://www.villa-in-algarve.co.uk/algarve-images/carvoeiro-beach.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.villa-in-algarve.co.uk/villas-in-carvoeiro.html&h=336&w=448&sz=33&hl=pt-PT&start=7&tbnid=y4bB57ZeRl75YM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcarvoeiro%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dpt-PT%26sa%3DG

toomanymikes
12th September 2007, 10:09
Thanks - Ill email her with the details. :)