PDA

View Full Version : What were your favourite PD games?

Harrison
7th September 2007, 08:35
What were/are some of your favourite Public Domain and Shareware Amiga games?

I probably used to play PD and shareware games just as much as I did commercial games on the Amiga and have a lot installed on my A4000 and A1200 HDs.

As with most people a couple of my favourites were Deluxe Galaga and Deluxe Pacman. I used to play though for hours.

I'm going to fire up my A4000 later and see what others I used to like and create a list. I'll also add some of them to the site database as we don't have many PD games in there yet.

Demon Cleaner
7th September 2007, 09:20
I never played PD games. In Luxembourg we had no magazines with software or such, we only had our swapping in the schoolyard. So I had commercial games all the time, never needed to get PD games or software. And I sold my Amiga in 1993, and I didn't have one for several years.

Harrison
7th September 2007, 09:45
You missed out on some great games. I will do a list of my favourite PD games for you to try. Many PD games were of very high standard with some great gameplay that was on par with commercial releases.

I never played PD games because I couldn't afford commercial releases, but because they were games and available on the Amiga. ;)

Sharingan
7th September 2007, 14:08
Gravity Power, which came on an Amiga Power coverdisk, stands out in my mind. Lots of levels, lots of customisation options, and very addictive gameplay. It could've done well even as a commercial product, if the graphics were polished up a bit.

v85rawdeal
7th September 2007, 14:23
Merv the Merciless, which came on issue one of Zero magazine. What a great game, with a clever little twist. (oh, and the Neighbours theme... but I wasn't letting that spoil my enjoyment of the game.)

By the way, on a slight side note. I located this site which may or may not have been covered in here before. It is called Amiga Magazine Rack (http://amr.abime.net/), and it covers all the major (and some not-so-major) Amiga magazines published.

Puni/Void
8th September 2007, 12:01
A few of my favourites:

Deluxe Galaga
Deluxe Pacman
Gravity Force 2 (or the souped up version from Amiga Power: Gravity Power)
M.A.S.H
Damage (I think this was PD)

AlexJ
9th September 2007, 13:49
By the way, on a slight side note. I located this site which may or may not have been covered in here before. It is called Amiga Magazine Rack (http://amr.abime.net/), and it covers all the major (and some not-so-major) Amiga magazines published.

Yeah, I think most of us know about AMR and while better than anything else at the moment, when you look at it, there is actually only a small proportion of the magazines actually available (they quote 20,000 pages which at a conservative estimate of 100 pages per issue means there's 'just' 200 full issues worth on there - Amiga Format and Amiga Power alone had over 200 issues between them.)

Bloodwych
9th September 2007, 20:20
Anyone remember the game on the front coverdisk of Zero, issue one?

MERV THE MERCILESS!!!

http://hol.abime.net/4765

Great game. Collect nosh and dosk, but don't let the chainsaw board kill you! Also enjoy a quick Neighbours theme tune sample if you walk over the icon!

Truly barmy game!

But fun. :)

Harrison
10th September 2007, 11:56
The other problem with AMR is that they are not preserving the magazines in their entirety. Instead just including the gaming related pages. There was much more to the magazines that that. Productivity software, interviews, reviews, cheats, software tutorials and guides, and even the adverts are worth preserving. Most of which they have missed out.

When I do get time to work on the classicamiga magazine section and finally get it started our goal will be to offer scans of the full magazines from cover to cover so that Amiga fans can look at the complete magazine and everything it included.

Ghost
12th October 2007, 23:54
Hello Harrison,

Do please make it so that the viewers can also select certain subjects if that is technical possible, for example if you choose only 'reviews' you only get the reviews of the magazine you have selected.

toomanymikes
13th October 2007, 11:17
I had a PD that i think was called Tanks - it was a bit like worms in that you had a tank on on side of a hill and you had to shoot the other taking into account wind speed and direction etc. It was ace!
I used to play quite a few PD games but I cant for the life of me remember what they were called. I was more into the tech demos like Jesus on E's and State of the Art.

Harrison
14th October 2007, 06:46
I think we may already have the game you are thinking of on the site. Was it called Tanx?

http://www.classicamiga.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3229&Itemid=96

We even have the game for download so you could try it again. :)

I will have to have a look through my Amiga HD and see which games were my favourites as I used to have a lot of PD games I played.

toomanymikes
14th October 2007, 09:22
Thats the one! Downloading now...:D