PDA

View Full Version : Disable the Apple Bonjour service!

Harrison
6th September 2007, 13:18
On Mac OSX Apple use a network service called Bonjour which looks at the network and finds all connected devices and systems, including other computers and printers on the network, and announces itself to them so they appear to the system.

But with the latest version of Apple's PC products they are now also installing this as a service which then runs in Windows. Why? Who knows!

If you have Quicktime 7 installed then you will also have the Bonjour service installed and running on your system. It is not needed and can even cause network problems.

note: it is also installed with the Windows version of iTunes, but I'm not sure if it is required for iTunes to work with the iTunes network and iPod connectivity. As I don't own an iPod and refuse to use the rubbish that is iTunes I cannot say for sure if removing the Bonjour service will effect them working. If you are unfortunate enough to have bought into the iPod hype then it might be best to leave Bonjour running if you have no problems. For everyone else, get rid of it ASAP.

To remove this service from your system I have attached a small program that will do this for you. Just download this exe file and run it.

v85rawdeal
6th September 2007, 14:53
Another package that it is included with is Adobe Dreamweaver CS3, which means it could also be included in a lot more of Adobe's products.

I had this problem when I installed DW CS3 on my machine. At first I wondered whether the problems were due to my source :piarate5: but after a browse through newsgroups I found out that Adobe were including it as part of their package.

Harrison
6th September 2007, 15:15
That is because many of the Adobe applications need to use Quicktime to gain full functionality.

Stephen Coates
7th September 2007, 09:43
I have QuickTime 7 but I didn't know it had anything to do with Bonjour.

I ran the programme and it said that Bonjour is not running.

Harrison
7th September 2007, 10:10
What version of Quicktime 7 are you running? It was only added with the latest versions.

One thing Apple have finally done is offer the standalone version of Quicktime for download next to the version with iTunes combined. When Quicktime 7 was first released the only download they offered that you could find easily was the one with iTunes combined. The standalone version was very hard to locate and was buried somewhere else within the Apple site. Shows what enough people moaning can do. You can't force people to install useless junk forever.

A similar one that always annoys me is when an installer tries to get you to install Google Desktop.

jheydude1
19th October 2007, 02:42
I was looking around for an uninstall feature for the dam thing and didn't find squat! I googled for a solution and here I am! thanxz again!!!:lol:

Harrison
19th October 2007, 11:47
You are welcome.

It is bad how companies like Apple force the installation of such unwanted software onto our systems without asking us. They shouldn't be able to do this by law without first displaying a notice during the installation telling us it will be installed.

GuruSnaish
26th March 2008, 10:28
I think Bonjour was installed with the Adobe Master Collection, along with heaps of other stuff! Thanks for the help!

Harrison
26th March 2008, 12:14
Again this would be because the latest version of Quicktime is installed alongside the Adobe products as part of the Adobe Master Collection.

Buleste
26th March 2008, 12:39
QuickTime is evil.:evil:

Harrison
26th March 2008, 12:41
Correction - Apple is evil!

Buleste
26th March 2008, 12:43
Not evil just the M$ mini me.

Harrison
26th March 2008, 12:54
No... Apple is much more evil than M$. 97% of the worlds computer population can't be wrong! ;)

Buleste
26th March 2008, 13:02
No... Apple is much more evil than M$. 97% of the worlds computer population can't be wrong! ;)

It's hard for that 97% of computing population to disagree when they have no knowledge of anything different. What we need is a computer retailer who has the balls to offer Open Source and free software pre installed on their new machines. Besides M$ and Sapple leach from each other so much that it's getting difficult to know which company is worse.

Harrison
26th March 2008, 13:10
Ah! But consider this. Apple developed OSX by taking completely open source software, reworking it and customising it into a closed OS and releasing it for money. M$ in contrast have been working hard on their OSs, for better or for worse, off their own back since the start, but have now just released their full range of APIs as Open Source for anyone to look at, explore, and develop for. So who is better now?

Buleste
26th March 2008, 13:44
And why did M$ release those API's?? Because they were forced to by the EU. And wasn't the original DOS an Open project bought for around $50,000 and sold on to IBM?? They are both as evil as each other. This is like trying to compare Musolini and Hitler. Both Evil.

J T
26th March 2008, 14:19
I have a very old version of itunes on the PC for my ipod. It works OK. Don't know if the bonjour service is running - I doubt it though as I've never noticed it in any of the running processes or whatever they are called.

Apple stuff is actually growing on me after having used it for so long at work. I really don't get the PC/Apple evangelism. They both do the job but in slightly different ways. Better to have choice, right? And competition to encourage innovation/improvement/whatever.

Harrison
26th March 2008, 14:30
I hate Apple because all of their products are closed and restricted and force you to do everything the way they want you to do it.

J T
26th March 2008, 14:33
Some people like it like that, kept simple and clean, easy and safe. You can't begrudge them their opinion/preferences/taste. I can very much see why apple is popular.

I just can't see why some people think it is the best in the world ever oh-my-god-we-love-you-here-take-all-our-money-we-will-convert-everyone-to-the-ways

If you catch my drift.

Harrison
26th March 2008, 15:05
And the problem is, that is how most Apple fans behave.

J T
26th March 2008, 16:10
True. I guess there is a big difference between an apple user and an apple 'fan'.

Harrison
26th March 2008, 17:14
The biggest thing with Apple Fans is that they are on the whole much more naive to technology than the average PC user. They only know about Apple products, and because of how Apple works they expect all technology to plug into and work seamlessly without any user intevention and everything to work in exactly the same way. You could argue that it is a good thing if everything did work like that, and if you are talking about things like a washing machine then yes, but not a computer. The whole point of a computer is that it can be customised and built up by the user based on their needs and wants.

Something that has recently seen Apple come a bit unstuck was when OSX has actually started to ask the user to make a decision when connecting something! My God. What a shock that must have been to them! User input! :o

Equally Apple fans and Apple users who only ever use Apple products and never anything else seem to live in this little blinkered world where they don't seem to notice other products exist that actually do the same or very similar things to Apple's products. You would be surprised by the number of Apple fans who actually think Apple invented the mp3 and who thing iPod is the technology you run mp3s on, not a make a mp3 player.

And when a new Apple product comes out the devoted fans thing Apple invented the technology and all bow to the mighty Apple for their innovation. When in reality they have just taken other peoples hard work and repackaged it in an Apple branded box, added direct driver support for the new device into OSX so it doesn't require user input when first connected (the main advantage of owning a closed platform and selling all the devices you connect to it).

Stephen Coates
26th March 2008, 19:33
I think Apple are just as evil as Microsoft.

Apple's method of doing stuff might be the prefered method of lots of people. In which case a Macintosh/other apple product would be a good solution.

Harrison
27th March 2008, 01:02
No large company or organisation would be as large without doing some things that could be seen as questionable. If you stick to the rule book and don't take risks or chances when you see the opportunity then no one ever gets anywhere.

v85rawdeal
27th March 2008, 13:28
True. I guess there is a big difference between an apple user and an apple 'fan'.

Isnt an apple 'fan' used to keep the pie cool?

Buleste
27th March 2008, 13:31

Isnt an apple 'fan' used to keep the pie cool?

No it's one of those pointless decorations crap chefs make to hide the fact their food is awefull.

Apple-is-the-pits
5th December 2008, 18:59
Bonjour crashed Spore when quicktime decided to update itself when my wife used it. I rarely use Quicktime as it is slow and very low resolution at least on my system. 1280x1024 85mhz refresh Quicktime doesn't like that junk software imho.
so anyway thanks for the uninstaler hope spore runs again!