PDA

View Full Version : How can i connect the A1200 to internet

Tiago
4th September 2007, 11:49
Hi,
how can i connect the A1200 to internet?

(!!!!!!!!! if there is allready a post to this subject, please tell me !!!!!!!)

- Thru PCMCIA? :huh2:

- Thru trap door? If i buy a Ram board or a expansion board, will be space for a new one?
:huh2:
- Thru serial or paralel port? :huh2:

- must i buy a card similar to a ethernet card with rj45?:huh2:

I have a Linksys wireless router for Pc, can i used it? :huh2:

Harrison
4th September 2007, 12:25
OK, you have a few different methods to connect the A1200 to the internet.

The most basic is to use an external serial modem connected to the serial port on the Amiga. But this will be very slow dial up and not what you really want.

The second is to use a PCMCIA card in the A1200's card slot. www.amigakit.com sell a PCMCIA Ethernet card, and include setup instructions and the software needed to get it working. I have this and it works perfectly connected to my router. But I just looked on their site and they don't currently have any. :( You could buy your own Ethernet PCMCIA card that is compatible and I could do you a copy of the instructions and software to use with it. That wouldn't be a problem.

The PCMCIA Ethernet card I have for my A1200 is a 3com Model 3CXE589ET (http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3CXE589ET), so if you could find one of those I can guarantee it will work with the A1200.

People have also managed to get PCMCIA wireless WiFi cards working on the A1200, and as you said you have a wireless router this would be a great solution. I don't have any experience getting a wireless card working with the A1200 so cannot suggest what software you need. Hopefully someone else here will be able to point you in the correct direction if you would like to try this.

Tiago
4th September 2007, 13:14
Thank you for the info Master Harrison

Stephen Coates
4th September 2007, 16:39
I have the 3Com 3CCE589ET card and that workd perfectly. I think it cost about £7 on ebay (can't remember exactly how much though).

You just need to find the '3c589.device' to get it to work, and specify this file in your favourite TCP/IP stack. I use Miami (I can supply you with the key files if you want).

I did try to get my WaveLAN wireless card to work but didn;t have any sucess. I know it will be possible to do it though as other people have, and I'm pretty sure that WaveLAN/Orinoco cards are compatible (I think it needs to use the prism chipset).

Alternatively you could use a modem. I use a SupraExpress 56k serial modem with my A500+ with Miami. This modem is already listed in Miami so will work without additional drivers. On my A1200 I have used a v34 PCMCIA modem. Forgot the brand/model, but will work with the 'pcmser.device' driver In Genesis (Not tested it in Miami).

If I remember rightly, I did have quite a job setting up Ethernet on the A1200, but it could have been due to not putting the correct settings in. If you do it right, it should work fine.

Harrison
4th September 2007, 17:20
Prism chipset rings a bell. I think as long as you find a wireless card using that chipset it should be possible to get a wireless card working on the A1200. But as I said before I've not tried. I have a spare Linksys wireless card though so might give it a try when i get chance.

StuKeith
21st September 2007, 15:27
Anychance I can grab a copy of the software and manual please H?

I am now having issues getting NC2 working on my one now! :no:

Harrison
21st September 2007, 15:35
Sure. I will create a couple of ADFs from the disks and make them available in the private downloads section. If you don't have the password PM me. I should have time to make the disks and upload them on Monday for you.

Harrison
25th September 2007, 10:59
Amigakit have their A1200 Amiga PCMCIA Network Card back in stock for £29.99, so if you still needed to get your A1200 connected to your network, and the internet, this is the best option.

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=116

This is the card and software I use and it works perfectly on the A1200.

StuKeith
25th September 2007, 11:51
Ive got piles of the cards. its the software im having problems with!