PDA

View Full Version : BBS

Stephen Coates
31st August 2007, 11:33
I was just wondering, since we have a website and a forum, why don't we have a BBS as well?

Tiago
31st August 2007, 11:40
I was just wondering, since we have a website and a forum, why don't we have a BBS as well?

BBS? Bulletim board system... ? is this the meaning?

AlexJ
31st August 2007, 11:45
Mainly because BBSes have all but died out now and are redundant to the World Wide Web.

Harrison
31st August 2007, 11:54
It wouls still be cool to have one for retro purposes. Would you be interested in running one Steve? Would be cool to have one running from an Amiga too!

AlexJ
31st August 2007, 11:58
http://www.bbbs.net/ seems to be the software needed. Both PC and Amiga versions available!

Tiago
31st August 2007, 15:33
Popular BBS software for the Amiga were Amiexpress, Infinity and Tempest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiexpress

Stephen Coates
31st August 2007, 21:22
Mainly because BBSes have all but died out now and are redundant to the World Wide Web.

Not really.

I joined three this week and there are plenty more out there. Mostly telnet ones.

It wouls still be cool to have one for retro purposes. Would you be interested in running one Steve? Would be cool to have one running from an Amiga too!

Possibly. I'm sure I could get an ethernet cable into the loft to use with my A1200. Unless of course you would prefer to dial it with a modem, in which case, I can probably connect it to the telephone sometimes. Although i would like to actually figiure out how to use a BBS first before setting my own up.

Harrison
1st September 2007, 00:30
The problem is most of us are working on the main site so don't have the time to run a BBS. You have always said in the past that you've wondered what you could do to help the site. Well there you go. You could run our BBS. :thumbs:

AlexJ
1st September 2007, 01:08

Not really.

I joined three this week and there are plenty more out there. Mostly telnet ones.

You are in the tiny minority there though Steve, the number of WWW users is absolutely huge compared to BBS users. As such the website is the much higher priority for the site, and that's taking up most of our time at the moment.

Harrison
1st September 2007, 09:48
I'm sure I saw some web software a while back that allows you to display a BBS in a webpage. That could be cool if it is possible, as a BBS could then be a cool addition. As Alex said, BBS's are now a very small minority and most web users don't even know what they are.

J T
1st September 2007, 17:49
I always thought that a BBS was just like a very old, text only forum.

Am I way off target here, or close enough?

Not being an arse, I really have never used one and don't know much (anything really) about them.

Stephen Coates
2nd September 2007, 09:43
They can be used like forums, but you can also use them for sharing files and sending emails.

And not neceseraly text only.

Harrison
3rd September 2007, 12:21
They are basically what they are called. A Bulletin Board System. I would say think of them more like very early blogs, rather than as a forum. With them used to share and post information and share files. Many were similar in format to Amiga PD and Demo Scene magazine and music disks.

BBS was also one of the main areas that ASCII art became commonplace as a BBS is text based and so ASCII artists developed some great artwork for their BBS banners and page art.

As I mentioned, a BBS is similar in content to today's blogging web software, but less advanced. So there is really little point in running one other than for historical and retro purposes.

Puni/Void
4th September 2007, 16:59
All this talk about BBS's makes me think back about all the quarrels between modem-traders and swappers on the Scene. :D None of us won in the end, as the Internet kicked both factions ass. We all got redundant scenewise and had to think of other stuff to do in our groups.