PDA

View Full Version : CD32 in the livingroom

Puni/Void
27th August 2007, 20:37
I've had a CD32 console for a few years now, but not used it much. This is mainly due to lack of space. Its main function has therefore been to gather dust. As we moved into a new flat a few months ago, I finally got the space I needed to set up this machine.

We have media-bench in the livingroom with a TV, DVD-player, decoder etc. I noticed that there was plenty of room for a console, so I thought that the CD32 would fit perfectly there, which it did. :) I hooked it up with an RF cable to the TV, as all the other connections are through SCART, and it worked like a dream.

I've already tried out Superfrog, Sensible Soccer and other classics, and it's really nice to lean back in the TV chair and enjoy those old games again. Needless to say, I guess the CD32 will get its life back again and be used a lot. :)

Any others here that use a CD32?

Harrison
27th August 2007, 21:21
Yeah, I've got my CD32 under my TV, next to my SNES. ;) I don't use it that much, but it's connected up ready to go when I want.

Demon Cleaner
27th August 2007, 21:48
Mine is not connected, I have it more for the collector's purpose.

FOL
27th August 2007, 22:01
I've had a CD32 console for a few years now, but not used it much. This is mainly due to lack of space. Its main function has therefore been to gather dust. As we moved into a new flat a few months ago, I finally got the space I needed to set up this machine.

We have media-bench in the livingroom with a TV, DVD-player, decoder etc. I noticed that there was plenty of room for a console, so I thought that the CD32 would fit perfectly there, which it did. :) I hooked it up with an RF cable to the TV, as all the other connections are through SCART, and it worked like a dream.

I've already tried out Superfrog, Sensible Soccer and other classics, and it's really nice to lean back in the TV chair and enjoy those old games again. Needless to say, I guess the CD32 will get its life back again and be used a lot. :)

Any others here that use a CD32?

Nice, I love me CD32, which has gone back in its box atm, as i have a 1200 now. I would recommend (if your tv can take it) S-VIDEO connection, over RF. The picture quality is much improved then.

Harrison
27th August 2007, 22:27
I agree with that. Mine is connected via S-Video and it looks much better. Also the audio is connected via the stereo out as the RF also only outputs mono.

Bloodwych
11th September 2007, 15:56
One thing that annoyed me about the CD32 in its standard config was lack of fastram.

All that wasted potential of the CPU, as it had to share everything with the chipset.

Talking of CD-based systems, I used to love the look of the CDTV. Way ahead of its time and in sexy black. The world has only just caught up to the concept of multimedia machines in the living room recently, with custom built PC's and Windows XP media centre addition.

Amiga - once again ahead of its time.

Harrison
11th September 2007, 16:43
That is very true. That Media Centres are only really now (in the last couple of years) becoming more popular under TV sets does show just how far ahead if it's time the CDTV truly was.

And I also agree about fast ram in the CD32. Commodore didn't really create system that was perfect for the CD media it used. If they had added just a couple of Megs of fast ram developers could have done so much more with the system, and if they had added a floppy disk drive port it would have allowed most Amiga games to be compatible with the system with the simple addition of an external floppy disk drive. That would of made a huge difference. That could have also been a better way to save game data, rather than the very restrictive 1K of flash ram built in for save games.

Bloodwych
11th September 2007, 17:02
That could have also been a better way to save game data, rather than the very restrictive 1K of flash ram built in for save games.

I forgot about that measly 1K flash! You're right about the floppy drive. One built into the machine or as you said an external addon would have solved the game save issue too.

Getting back to P G however, it's great to see you put that machine back to use. What you need now is this (if you haven't already got it):

http://total-emu.org/forum/showthread.php?t=157

Gary's CD32 200 games ISO with frontend!!!!

That really makes it worth setting up. :) And before you ask, I don't know where to get it. :(

Harrison
11th September 2007, 17:06
Have a look on Underground Gamer if you want to pick up some CD32 game compilation CD ISOs. They have a few different ones including one with 888 games on it! And the 200 game one you mention is on there too.

Demon Cleaner
11th September 2007, 17:15
Perhaps we should also make a Classicamiga CD32 compilation with 1000 games.

Harrison
11th September 2007, 22:56
:lol: It could be possible! Wonder how they are doing it for the compilations at the moment? :unsure:

FOL
11th September 2007, 23:08
One thing that annoyed me about the CD32 in its standard config was lack of fastram.

All that wasted potential of the CPU, as it had to share everything with the chipset.

Talking of CD-based systems, I used to love the look of the CDTV. Way ahead of its time and in sexy black. The world has only just caught up to the concept of multimedia machines in the living room recently, with custom built PC's and Windows XP media centre addition.

Amiga - once again ahead of its time.

he he, guess who still has his CDTV launch promotional T-Shirt, ;). Commodore rep came to my dads shop with lots of goodies. It was like christmas, come to think of it, I had lots of commodore related T-Shirts, lol.

J T
12th September 2007, 09:53
he he, guess who still has his CDTV launch promotional T-Shirt, ;). Commodore rep came to my dads shop with lots of goodies. It was like christmas, come to think of it, I had lots of commodore related T-Shirts, lol.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

!

I used to see LOADS of those CDTV T-shirts, being worn be people all over the place, but don't think I ever actually saw a real CDTV itself*. Every now and then, I may still see one of those T shirts and it always makes me smile.

*I've read similar comments in many places, so I'm not the only one that noticed/thinks that.

Stephen Coates
12th September 2007, 13:39
I saw a picture of a CDTV tshirt recently and it looked really good.

And I am in desperate need of some new tshirts!

Anyone get a spare CDTV one?

As for the CDTV itslef, I think it looks much better than the CD32. The CD32 looks alot more like a games console and i prefer the appearence of the CDTV. I have never used either though unfortunately.

Demon Cleaner
12th September 2007, 13:46
I also prefer the design of the CDTV, at least it represents something. I only tested mine with the software that was included, some CDTV demo stuff, which is crap. But I plugged an external floppy to it, and started a game, and that worked flawlessly, and on a plasma TV ;)

Harrison
12th September 2007, 15:35
Nice. I still want a CDTV.