PDA

View Full Version : Amiga PSP theme

FOL
25th August 2007, 19:31
Hey guys (and gals, ;)).

I want to make a custom XMB, with the theme being, you guessed it, ;). The problem is sourcing icons / pics. Any of you able to supply me with high qaulity pics, so i can make them into icons. They have to be bigger then 128 x 128 in size, I was thinking about using OS3.9 icons, as i dont know where to get OS4.0 icons, never seen OS 4 yet, :(.

Anyways, let me know what you think.

On a side note, i would really like to make the network icon PSPUAE, ;). So you click and it loads PSPUAE, but this is a side project.

FOL
25th August 2007, 23:00
To add, decided to mess with icon launching as a test, to see how icons are made.

Took a pic off an amiga, converted to a PSP XMB icon, then added it to the topmenu.rco, I then altered xmb using a prx that launches files in a certain location, using an icon. I replaced the network update icon with my amiga pic, after flashign topmenu to flash0, i booted and seen network update was now an amiga pic. I then copied PSPUAE to prx location folder. Now when clicking amiga pic, launches PSPUAE instantly, no more crappy PSP logo, :).

I will get deeper into this, as i said though any pics would be great. Need to workout what to use for each icon.

Harrison
25th August 2007, 23:06
Not sure I have any icons that would be big enough for this. It is an interesting idea and would look great if the whole XMB looked like a Workbench desktop.

Messing around with the XMB icons and look is one area I've not tried doing as I quite like the original Sony icons, but it would be great to see some screenshots once you have more done.

FOL
25th August 2007, 23:14
Not sure I have any icons that would be big enough for this. It is an interesting idea and would look great if the whole XMB looked like a Workbench desktop.

Messing around with the XMB icons and look is one area I've not tried doing as I quite like the original Sony icons, but it would be great to see some screenshots once you have more done.

Aye, I will try to get my capture plugin working, so i can grab a shot of the pspuae xmb launcher.

As there is no way i can brick now (unless get a hardware failure), im happy to mess with flash0 more freely now. Can just use my kids psp to change my batt to unbrick, :), if i brick, aint happened yet (touches wood).

I could do a workbench clone, which 1 though? OS 3.1, OS 3.9?

Harrison
25th August 2007, 23:21
Personally I would love to see a 1.3 one, just because that is truly retro, but the 3.1 theme is also retro enough to look cool.

v85rawdeal
25th August 2007, 23:32
Either would look cool.

Anything, just so long as you don't need a Kickstart UMD (Now that would be true retro-modern chic):lol:

FOL
25th August 2007, 23:34
Animated Gif, aint that great but screen shot would not work, :(

Beware its 3MB in size, will have to alter size

Sharingan
26th August 2007, 10:42
That looks rather spiffy :)

FOL
26th August 2007, 11:49
Im going to try and get something together for tonight. Now I know how it all works, still unsure how to move X-Menu to top of screen, but could just leave it there. Have already thought of what to do, :).

Harrison
26th August 2007, 11:51
The only negative aspect of having the menu at the bottom is that it looks like a Mac! That will never do! :lol:

FOL
26th August 2007, 12:01
The only negative aspect of having the menu at the bottom is that it looks like a Mac! That will never do! :lol:

*grumbles, "damn critics"* ;).

Ill have to play around with it, Ill get all icons sorted first, see how it looks then look further into moving X-bar.

v85rawdeal
26th August 2007, 12:05
What would be lovely to see on the PSP is it running with the traditional style Amiga drop-down menu system, or the folder system used on Workbench.

I imagine that both options would be quite difficult to implement!

FOL
26th August 2007, 12:15
What would be lovely to see on the PSP is it running with the traditional style Amiga drop-down menu system, or the folder system used on Workbench.

I imagine that both options would be quite difficult to implement!

I would say imposible at present. I was thinking same way, but it can not work. I was thinking, move the X-Bar up a bit and put a Amiga OS window around it, change icons, like settings could be replaced with prefs icon, etc etc. then do the same some for vertical menu's, window and replace icons acordingly.

Harrison
26th August 2007, 14:04
Sounds like some great ideas. Hope you can get it all to work.

FOL
26th August 2007, 23:27
Its going slow, ill add all icons first then, look at improving it.

http://pspuae.condor.serverpro3.com/images/xmbtheme/video1.gif

Harrison
26th August 2007, 23:37
That's starting to look really cool. Any way you can mask areas? So the icons scroll under the sides of the background window? instead of over them.

FOL
27th August 2007, 10:57
That's starting to look really cool. Any way you can mask areas? So the icons scroll under the sides of the background window? instead of over them.

Not sure, but ill work on that later, once all icons are done. Im going to ask around to see if i can get it to drop down. As i say though, icons first (and tidy up of icons).

FOL
27th August 2007, 20:18
k, been working on it some more, moved from theme backdrop to flash backdrop with waves (but it lacks in quality, need to work on it). Revised icons, its starting to come together.

http://pspuae.condor.serverpro3.com/images/xmbtheme/screen1.bmp

http://pspuae.condor.serverpro3.com/images/xmbtheme/screen2.bmp

http://pspuae.condor.serverpro3.com/images/xmbtheme/screen3.bmp

Harrison
27th August 2007, 20:26
That is looking really nice now. I especially like the use of the HD icon named DH0: for the memory stick. Nice touch. :)

Any way you can get rid of the PSP ribbon effect that is across the whole thing? Or is that always there?

Demon Cleaner
27th August 2007, 21:52
I especially like the use of the HD icon named DH0: for the memory stick. Nice touch.That looks indeed very cool, and also the rest starts to get a nice look :thumbs:

You're trying to make me definitely buy a PSP I think.

FOL
27th August 2007, 22:07
That is looking really nice now. I especially like the use of the HD icon named DH0: for the memory stick. Nice touch. :)

Any way you can get rid of the PSP ribbon effect that is across the whole thing? Or is that always there?

Me thinks, someone didnt read my post, :).

The ribbon = waving lines, as I switched to flash .bmp it acts like the PSP's native monthly colours with wavy lines. I can also supply a pic so people have the option, to set hires backdrop (which is better) or stick with flash 1.

Im missing a perental lock and rss feed icon from amiga OS, anyone able to help, as i have almost finished the prefs icons.

Harrison
27th August 2007, 22:34
Will you be able to release an easy to install package for PSP users once you have finished?

FOL
27th August 2007, 23:57
Will you be able to release an easy to install package for PSP users once you have finished?

ermmmm, i can do a guide on how to install it. Its quite simple, plus im only altering the menu and backdrop, nothing else, as im learning.

After looking at other themes, it looks like its possible to make it look like a drop down box, but that will have to come later.

ok, its get there slowly. Done nearly all the prefs icons, missing 2. Photo is sorted, Video is sorted, music is sorted and MS is sorted. Also added Topaz font, :).

So its getting there, this preview is 4MB's (my converter is acting up and kills gif). This is using the optional hi-res backdrop (so no wavy lines).

Harrison
28th August 2007, 00:13
That is looking really cool. Great job. I may even be tempted to use this myself once it's finished. :)

v85rawdeal
30th August 2007, 16:36
That is definetely starting to look like a job well done... Now you got me thinking about how good that would look on the PS3!!!

Ah, better not run before I have learnt to crawl!

Tiago
30th August 2007, 16:49
Great work, looks very nice.

FOL
30th August 2007, 19:59
Great work, looks very nice.

Thanks,

If your wondering where it is. Ive been playing fiesta, so aint touched it for a day, but will continue with soon.

FOL
2nd September 2007, 13:53
Ok, almosy done with icons. Revised and improved them, so ill start messing with icons going off screen as harrison suguested.

Then I can release something, once thats released I'll start messing with menu location, once I work that out, I will alter it to a dropdown like box and it truely will be amiga like.

FOL
2nd September 2007, 21:42
Just to update, icons are finished. Now need to work on position of menu, so that the icons stay out of window. Also got my high-res flash backdrop prob worked out, :), im not sure on font though as its fine in xmb, but in borswer its to small, :(. I like having PSPUAE launch from the XMB, means no crappy PSP pmf before it loads, :).

This gif is 8MB's, so 56k'ers beware, ;).

http://pspuae.condor.serverpro3.com/images/xmbtheme/video3.gif

Harrison
3rd September 2007, 12:23
Very nice. :)

FOL
10th December 2007, 19:51
To update, I have posted these on maxconsole.net and pspuae.com.

PTF versions for firmware 3.60 + (Official or Custom)

OS3.9 Theme
-------------
http://pspuae.condor.serverpro3.com/images/xmbtheme/OS39.jpg

DOWNLOAD!!!! (http://pspxmb.coredomination.com/themes/users/OS39_PSPUAE.zip)

OS4.0 Theme (My favorite, it also has focus on the icons)
-------------------------------------------------------
http://pspuae.condor.serverpro3.com/images/xmbtheme/OS4Blue1.jpg

DOWNLOAD!!!! (http://pspxmb.coredomination.com/themes/users/OS4_Theme_FOL.zip)

Hope you like them, if you have'nt already got them, :)

Harrison
10th December 2007, 21:51
Those look very nice. Great work.

Did you ever try a Workbench 1.3 version? That would look really retro.

Demon Cleaner
11th December 2007, 05:09
Looks cool, but I still have fw 3.52 on mine.

Harrison
11th December 2007, 13:07
Same here. I'm also still running 3.52, mainly because all games I've tried work perfectly so I've seen no reason to update to any newer versions. If a game won't run then I will update. I think it's pointless upgrading when it isn't broken.

But it is now possible to install the latest CFW 3.71 M33-3, plus the Dark AleX addon for kernel 1.5 v2. This will give you full 1.5 compatibility again.

If you are interested in upgrading to this then you need to have your PSP running 3.52 M33-4 in order to run the updater. Then you can visit Dark AleX's homepage at http://www.dark-alex.org to download the updates.

A good full guide on how to update fully can be found here. (http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=89676)

Demon Cleaner
12th December 2007, 05:15
The newest Castlevania game needs CFW 3.71 M33-3, Zyriax tested it on CFW 3.71 M33-2, but it didn't work, after the update it just ran fine. That was only because his gf wanted to play it ;)

FOL
14th December 2007, 19:17
Those look very nice. Great work.

Did you ever try a Workbench 1.3 version? That would look really retro.

Your the second person to ask for this, :). Ill look into it, once I get chance.
Im hooked on the 4.0 version at the moment, high res icons, with orange glow effect, :).

Updating to 3.71 M33 is easier now with the DA Sony look alike installer. Plus we now have the new pops with disc swap, been playing Wing Commander 3, :). Great game and plays well on the PSP.