PDA

View Full Version : test

Harrison
1st December 2006, 12:24
The first forum post. :)

Harrison
4th December 2006, 12:34
second post to test the forum some more.

some bold text some italic text some underlined text

red brown green orange pink blue

Test
15th December 2006, 01:11
a test post

Harrison
15th December 2006, 04:37
Some text with a link to another site http://www.classicamiga.com

Harrison
15th December 2006, 04:44
another test link http://forum.classicamiga.com

J T
16th December 2006, 19:31
Quick reply test...... had to click on the icon under the post above, this box I am typing in was greyed out initially

Puni/Void
16th December 2006, 19:43
My first post here in the forum.

I see that there are plenty of new options available when using "Post Reply". Here are tools for making links to websites, include pictures and so on. That will definitly prove useful.

Puni/Void
16th December 2006, 20:04
http://www.classicamiga.com

Quick reply test

J T
16th December 2006, 20:05
I see and can open the thumbnail....... :)

Stephen Coates
16th December 2006, 20:58
Quick reply test...... had to click on the icon under the post above, this box I am typing in was greyed out initially

That is one thing I find annoying in vB.

Will it be possible to mod it so you can just stick your post into it and post it like on the old forum?

I found the quick reply a bit confusing when I first used it on vB a while ago.

Nice forum BTW :)

Stephen Coates
16th December 2006, 21:00
http://www.classicamiga.com

Nice avatar PG. I assume you have an '030 Inside instead of an Intel?

J T
16th December 2006, 21:23

Will it be possible to mod it so you can just stick your post into it and post it like on the old forum?

This has been mentioned too, Harrison is thinking it over. It can be done.

Stephen Coates
16th December 2006, 21:35
That would be good.

Puni/Void
16th December 2006, 21:44
Yup, have a 030 inside my trusty old Amiga 1200. :)

I'm using this avatar for nostalgic reasons though. Remember them from the 90's, as they were quite popular among hardcore Amiga users. People used this logo in demos as well, to the big joy of the audience at demo parties. All the PC people became very quiet when a big Intel Outside logo was presented on a big screen. Those were the days.

Harrison
17th December 2006, 22:39

The way the quick reply functions is actually built into the vB settings. You have the ability to switch it off, require the icon under one of the posts be clicked, or to just be able to use it without needing to first click anything.

I also agree that not needing to click on a quick reply post icon first and just being able to type a quick reply is easier than needing to first click the icon. But there is a reason for this feature...

vB allows you to view your topics in two ways, the standard linear nature we are all used to from the old board where each reply appears under the last, or a threaded view which those familiar with usenet and newsgroups will know and have used. Where one topic of discussion can branch off into different sub conversations. Replies to one post in the thread could continue in their own series of posts, whilst other threads can be posted the branch off from the original topic starting post, or another post further down the topic.

The reason for clicking on the quick reply icon on a post is so for the threaded view. It lets the forum know which post your are actually posting the reply to. So if you were to switch to the threaded view it would then appear under the correct branch of posts and under the actual posts you were replying too.

Personally I've never liked threaded forum structures as it can sometimes be hard and time consuming to naviagate up and down the different branches of a topic to try and read all of the posts and read everything posted. I much prefer the linear structure with posts all being one under the other and references to previous posts being in the forum of quotes.

But others may prefer the threaded view so I'm not sure if we should disable the click icon to post a quick reply feature. Doing so means all posts are automatically placed at the end of the thread, regardless of the post you were actually posting the reply to.

Would be interesting to hear everyones views on this. Personally I would disable the need to click the icon so that we can all just type a reply in the quick reply box. What do you all think?

The other advantage of needed to click the icon to activate the quick reply is spamming. If the box is automatically open to use then auto scripts may be able to quickly exploit this and start auto spamming replies throughout the forum. It's a small risk though.

Harrison
17th December 2006, 22:43
As a way to demonstrate the threaded view switch this very topic to threaded view. You will be surprised to see how the threaded structure has linked the posts even for this one quite simple topic. It definitely proves that in a very big topic with hundreds of posts that it may be very useful to quickly follow a branch of a discussion within the topic. Something that doesn't always happen in a linear topic structure where replies to specific posts may appear a few posts after the initial post being replied to.

Stephen Coates
17th December 2006, 23:05
Have it so you can just enter the text.

also, what does
Have phun! mean? That just came up on a page which I had to accept before posting this.

Harrison
17th December 2006, 23:58
Have it so you can just enter the text.

also, what does
Have phun! mean? That just came up on a page which I had to accept before posting this.

It's one of the features of a new forum mod I just added that adds a forum rules page to the forum. You can now access forum rules from a link in the top menu bar and it has a feature so that when important rules are changed or added I can force everyone to have to agree with them before they can continue posting.

I've not changed the forum rules yet so they are currently just the default example rules that come with the mod. The real rules will be based on the ones we had in the old site's TOS.

Harrison
18th December 2006, 00:58
Testing new sig.

Stephen Coates
18th December 2006, 15:34
What's a phun though?

Harrison
18th December 2006, 15:38
Phonetic for fun steve. It just the developer being funny in the example text. Nothing for you to get so hung up on as it won't be there in the final set of rules.

J T
18th December 2006, 17:25
I didn't get that message - is it not applicable to mods, or had you deactivated it already?

Harrison
18th December 2006, 17:39
No, moderators are exempt from rule change popups. ;)

J T
18th December 2006, 18:51
Excellent.

*dances*

Puni/Void
18th December 2006, 19:15
That sounds good. :)

Stephen Coates
18th December 2006, 20:38
I assume the rules won;t be changing every 5 minutes though so it probably wouldn;t make any difference?

Harrison
18th December 2006, 21:14
Rules change or are ammended when they need to be. We cannot predict when this will occur.

J T
18th December 2006, 21:24
They will only change when necessary.

Hey, I'm still dancing.

:w00tdance:

Demon Cleaner
19th December 2006, 00:14
Hey Steve, when are you going to find the ' on your keyboard, instead of using ; all the time?

Teho
19th December 2006, 14:14
A bit late, I finally found out the new forum is up. Looks nice to me. :)

Stephen Coates
19th December 2006, 21:34
Cool avatar Teho.

Hey Steve, when are you going to find the ' on your keyboard, instead of using ; all the time?

I can't help it if I'm always accidentally hitting the wrong key.

Teho
19th December 2006, 22:24
Cool avatar Teho.

Well, it's christmas. He'll get his normal-coloured hood back sometime next year. ;)

Demon Cleaner
19th December 2006, 22:34
Is that Lucky Eddie from Hägar?

Teho
20th December 2006, 04:38
I guess. In the norwegian translation he's simply called 'Seidmann', which is the name for a druid-type witchdoctor of sorts from the norse/viking era.

Demon Cleaner
20th December 2006, 13:09
In german he's called Sven Glückspilz. Glückspilz means lucky guy.

Harrison
20th December 2006, 14:23
I've heard of Seidmann, but know nothing about him.

We have nothing like that in the UK, although much of England's original pagan beliefs and methology have been lost from the past. There were many beliefs in the Saxon and earlier era with the Druids being a key part and still existing in small numbers today. And of course Viking/Norse legend and beliefs were also an influencing factor considering we were invaded by them on more than one occassion. I do know that some of the Eastern regions were ruled by Viking kings in much of the 0AD-900AD era.

This is actually something I would really like to find out about England's past as I know hardly anything of it and it is never taught in schools as part of our countries history. Christianity seems to have done quite a good job of wiping out a lot of knowledge of past beliefs and religions.

Demon Cleaner
20th December 2006, 14:31
0AD-900ADWow, did they already have hexa calendar at that time :D
I like the Viking/Norse legends and beliefs with Odin, Thor, Valhalla and Midgard.

Teho
20th December 2006, 14:46
It's the same thing with norse history, a lot of it is lost forever due to christian influence. There is still a lot of history to be found though, such as the Snorre sagas and the Eddas. Most norse history was handed down through the generations orally anyway, as they didn't have any efficient methods of writing. They had their runes, but any writings were either carved or chiseled. And you just don't want to write books that way. So christianity couldn't burn or destroy the knowledge, they could only ban its teaching. Only centuries after the introduction of christianity were the sagas actually written down properly. Pretty cool that the knowledge survived despite that.

Seidmann, or Lucky Eddie I guess, is a recurring character in the Hägar strip as Demon said. There he is exactly that, a viking druid/doctor. Another interesting fact is that 'seiding', which basically is rune magic, was really exclusively done by women. It wasn't considered manly, so no man would have anything to do with it. Despite that, Odin himself was considered an excellent and powerful 'seider'. But he was sort of exempt, I suppose.

Buleste
23rd August 2008, 19:48
I want to know what the change was to teho's avatar!! (Bump)

Sharingan
23rd August 2008, 19:54
Indeed. Explain yourself, Teho!!!1

Teho
23rd August 2008, 20:45
I've made a couple of alternate versions, one for christmas and one for halloween:

http://www.home.no/teho/zouk_xmas.gif http://www.home.no/teho/zouk_halloween.GIF

Doing that is a "tradition" I picked up from the norwegian Spillegal forum where many members do it. I don't think I've used them on here except for that christmas two and a half years ago. I forget to change them.

Demon Cleaner
25th August 2008, 13:28
Indeed, I can't remember seeing them here??

Harrison
5th September 2008, 16:19
I remember you using the Christmas one a couple of years ago. :)