Picture 4 of 4 from Misc

A photo of my first computer, the SVI Spectravideo X'Press.

Picture Added
28th October 2021, 19:49
Album
Misc
Added by
Puni/Void

Picture Comments

1. Harrison
    I've not actually heard of this. What is it? Compatible with any other or based on?
  2. Puni/Void
    Hi Harrison,

This is an MSX 1 computer, the SVI-738 X'Press, which was released in the middle of the 1980's. It had pretty good specs for the time with a 3.5" floppy disk drive, 64 KB RAM + 16 KB VRAM, a cartridge slot and a built-in TV-modulator. It ran MSX DOS by Microsoft as the OS.

The one you see in the photo is my first computer, which we bought in the 1980's. The story goes that we were going to Tønsberg (the local town) to purchase a Commodore 64, but all the shops we visisted were sold out, unfortunately. The shop called Spaceworld had several MSX computers in stock and we decided to go for one. I was very happy with it, as we got a pack of games with it on floppies, with each diskette containing something like 10 games - so good value on the software side. Also it had quality games on cartridge like Knightmare and Salamander from Konami. Loading those old games from floppy was ultra fast compared to using a tapes.

My computer after the MSX was the Amiga 500, and since then I've been into Amiga's, hehe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVI-738
  3. J T
    What about them cursor keys, eh? How did they feel to use?
  4. Puni/Void
    Hehe, they are a bit strange, that's for sure. Back then I had not much to compare it with, so they were normal for me.
Showing Picture Comments 1 to 4 of 4

Copyright classicamiga.com